1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Says the guy who thinks Yang should be the nominee.

I actually agree, but this logic does not compute with who you were pushing for president.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it'll be Warren. Much like Hillary Clinton, the GOP base has been trained like Pavlov's dogs to snarl at the mention of her and yell the name "Pocahontas" until they're blue in the face. Her name on the ticket, and the ensuing defense the campaign would have to play about her selection, would risk overshadowing Biden.

I saw a good take that Karen Bass vs. Kamala Harris is an example of why it matters that a politician is ambitious. Kamala has trained herself for higher office forever and thus hasn't made missteps like offering public condolences on the death of Fidel Castro or praising the Church of Scientology. The latter.... hooo boy was that a bad clip that should be disqualifying for Bass. The difference between the two is that Bass probably never thought her name would be floated for a national ticket and didn't groom herself for national scrutiny like Harris has.

FWIW my money is on either Harris or Duckworth.

dobro1229, RayRay10 and FrontRunner like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ms Harris has a good Q factor or charisma?

I don't see it but I agree Rice does not have that it factor, I think she makes up for it in competence and likability.

Dubious, RayRay10 and Deckard like this.
  4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He said he didn't know her, leave it at that!

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I like Duckworth better she is more liked than Harris and it could shore up the Latino vote.

If I was Biden I don't know if I could trust that Harris would be totally on board and not looking toward 2024 also let's not forget Kamala led the racist charge against Biden which I don't know if Biden has forgiven.

When push comes to shove on a controversial issue will she totally on board or shying away because she has an eye on 20/24, this is where being ambitious could come back to haunt her IMO.

If she was driving enthusiasm up I would have no issue but she does not and I also don't know if she plays well with others, she has a bit a diva vibe.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By and large the VP choice doesn't matter for the election.

If they are extremely brilliant and charismatic or extremely crazy and offensive/scandal-ridden that would change things.

But very few voters say I'm not a big fan of the nominee but with a VP pick like that, I'm all in.

It is more likely they would say, I really like that VP. I hope they run for president some day.

7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I disagree. Karen Bass's remark about Castro could wind up hurting Biden in Florida and costing him the election. I'm not sure that will happen, but it's something they have to plan for.

It's a shame that a relatively benign remark can derail someone's career and shot at VP, but not so much sexual assault allegations, a history of lying, and a spotty track record if you're the top dog on the ticket.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

two words. Sarah Palin.

Dubious, RayRay10 and FrontRunner like this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think short term, yes, but long term, I'm not so sure. I mean candidates usually get a slight boost when the pick is announced. They get new free publicity. They get a slight boost again when that VP speaks during the convention. Those are both short term and I don't believe they have any lasting effect.

I believe any kind of comment will have a slight short-term effect but nothing long term. I'm also pretty sure that if they are considering Bass they have a plan for dealing with it. If they are considering Rice they probably have a plan for dealing with the Lybia and name unmasking attacks that will come. I would think they would have to and it would be part of the vetting process.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes, she was one of the outlier crazy/scandal-ridden choices that I mentioned. Another one would have been Perot's Admiral.

RayRay10 and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Will these remarks outweigh the anti-trump vote or his handling of the Coronavirus?

With the margins continuing to increase in Florida I don't know if it even matters I don't think these remarks will make anybody to vote for Trump at worse they will stay home and most of those voters would be for Trump IMO.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

If they're competent, and in this case I believe Bass is, I think she ought to be able to overcome it. But it's kind of inevitable that Biden will say or do something that will cause the race to tighten. I obviously hope I'm wrong!

Rice I'm not so sure about. I think she would make a great VP, but her selection could wind up firing up conservatives.

13. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I hope not because I really like what I've heard about Bass. I honestly haven't seen enough of her to have any idea how she might perform though.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's a fair point. I just think there are other better candidates. I honestly wish Biden hadn't narrowed his field to just women.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

still remember the Phil Hartman impression of that guy.

but Perot was never gonna win. McCain had a real chance and blew it with the Palin pick.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's politics and its far overdue, I have no issue.

RayRay10 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And Trump will still continue to do stuff like talking about moving the election date.

This really makes no sense and people have been saying this since the primaries and his lead just keeps getting wider.

Who is moving toward Trump to tighten the race, I am not saying the race will not tighten but there is not a great number of undecided to really move the numbers.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  18. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

It used to be Biden's minor gaffes made headlines, now he can make remarks about forgetting where he is, and ramble incoherently like he did the other day in Delaware, and it doesn't get much mention--thanks to Trump being an even bigger fool. But a bad debate and some unfavorable coverage could change all that for him. And let's not forget Trump gets an automatic free pass with some...

I won't breathe easy until the election is over. And when it is I'll cry silently into my pillow.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure there will be a "campaign trail" this year, though. There won't be massive events or anything like that, certainly. I'm not sure how much we'll even see or hear from the VP's during this campaign, so if there was ever a year for just competence/experience, this seems like it. I do think she's the favorite - everyone else seems lacking in something or other as well. I think the argument for her is that Biden knows/trusts her, she can credibly be President on Day #1, she's probably not stealing the spotlight by trying to run for President in 2024, and she's extremely competent. She fits his "I want my VP to be my last advisor before making decisions" criteria.

The argument against her is that her strength is foreign policy, which is also Biden's strength. He did say he wanted someone with different strengths, but I'm not sure any of those contenders really offer much expertise in domestic policy arenas - except maybe Bass ... or Liz Warren. But both of them don't fit the "next generation" criteria. No one fits all his stated criteria, so it will be interesting to see where he compromises.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Keyword some and some people think his gaffes and overblown what they think is rambling by Biden.

Who do you think is switching from Biden to Trump?

RayRay10 likes this.