1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Except canaries are smart enough to willingly flee the coal mine if allowed.

MadMax likes this.
  2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Mosques have stayed closed in Texas and GA even though it is Ramadan. That is telling imo.

jcf, Nook, superfob and 3 others like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Drive by a home depot or a lowe's, churches aren't the only canaries. Basically, higher density areas are the canaries for their neighbors living in lower density areas.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Largest number (ABC) of new cases on earth yesterday since the start of the pandemic. Over 100,000 confirmed in one day.

Ugh. This is not the summer slow-down we want and need.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

6. omgTHEpotential

Darn it, now I'm curious.

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hahaha. Okay, was just posting pic of two Americans wearing shirts that said they'd rather be Russian than a certain political party. They also had a certain color baseball caps with a common slogan.

Amiga and RayRay10 like this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. We have heard things happening on the opposite side of the spectrum with excess covid deaths being reported in some places where they might have financial incentive to do so. I believe @mikol13 was saying that is what his friend was reporting up in NY. Nothing seems to be fishy with the Florida death data and it's very minor if there is some fudging happening.

We have also seen this story out of Colorado.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/15/colorado-covid-coronavirus-counting-deaths-fatalities/

Some excerpts...

As coronavirus deaths become political flashpoint, Colorado changes how COVID-19 fatalities are publicly reported
    State representative seeks criminal investigation of Colorado’s public health director over allegations of falsified death data

Colorado’s health department changed the way it publicly reports coronavirus deaths Friday, introducing a second category of fatalities after its methods came under scrutiny — including by a state representative who’s calling for the agency’s chief to be investigated.

How COVID-19 deaths are counted has become politically divisive, with critics claiming the numbers are inflated and medical experts saying deaths may actually be undercounted. Still, the number of deaths is a crucial data point that informs public understanding of the pandemic’s severity and health officials’ response to the crisis.

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is now clarifying that its death tally includes the total number of fatalities among people who had COVID-19, including those deaths in which the respiratory disease was not the cause of death listed on the death certificate.

-------------

But there have been questions about the accuracy of how the health department is tracking deaths where the disease is not the direct or partial cause of death.

Montezuma County Coroner George Deavers said he had a case, first reported by 9News, in which a man died with COVID-19 but had a blood-alcohol level of 550 mg, well above the lethal amount. As a result, Deavers ruled the death was from alcohol poisoning. But, he said, the Department of Public Health and Environment counted it among its broader number of 1,150 COVID-19 deaths.

“I feel the state was wrong,” he said, adding, “If it’s a COVID death, it needs to be reported as a COVID death. If it’s not a COVID death, it doesn’t need to be reported as a COVID death. I’m not trying to pad the deaths one way or another.”

COVID-19 is considered the cause of death when a person dies from a complication from the disease, such as pneumonia or respiratory failure, and would not have died at that time or place without the coronavirus. This includes people with underlying illnesses, such as lung and heart diseases.

But making these decisions on the cause of death can be complex. In La Plata County, Coroner Jann Smith had a case involving a person who had a long history of heart issues and while at the hospital tested positive for COVID-19.

Once the patient went home under hospice care, he tested negative. So when the individual died, Smith determined the heart issues were the cause of death.

“If he would have come back positive again, I might have done something different,” she said, adding, “I won’t say it was an easy decision. That was my decision and I’m comfortable with it.”

Still, the health department included the death in its tally of COVID-19 fatalities.

-------------

Baisley’s call for an investigation into the state health director was inspired by an April 17 letter written by Tim Rogers, executive director of the Someren Glen retirement community. The letter, which went to residents and their families, said the Centennial facility was aware of four residents whose deaths were confirmed to be related to COVID-19.

Someren Glen’s attending physician, Rogers wrote, determined other recent deaths, including at least one of a resident who tested positive for the virus, were not caused by the coronavirus.

However, he said, the Department of Public Health and Environment counted at least seven resident deaths from the coronavirus — three more than his staff had calculated — and was deciding whether to include a potential eighth death that a physician had ruled was not COVID-related.

“(W)e were informed of their intention to override some of our attendant physician’s rulings and reclassify some resident passings we have experienced in the past few weeks,” Rogers wrote, adding, “We have never seen a situation where the health department overrules a physician’s findings. However, these are unprecedented times and the health department official did not share their motivation for changing physician’s orders.”

Miracle and Astrodome like this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Fair point...and I've actually been to a Home Depot in the last week. They monitored the number of people in the door...they were taking precautions with respect to distancing...and they asked customers to wear masks. Not sure if those measures were implemented in the churches that I've been reading about.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lowe's and Ace hardware have been my guilty pleasures as I've used the extra time at home to repair things, spruce up backyard. That said, I've pulled into Lowe's a couple of times and decided to come back later as the garden center was packed such that there would be no way to negotiate a path around people and maintain 6 feet.

Edit: I'm a morning person which means I'm usually at stores near time they open while others are still sleeping. It is frustrating the number of people without masks and the number of people that make no effort to social distance. I also hate it that I get frustrated with people that lollygag around the store and end up standing right next to the item that I want to grab and get out of store.

#7630 Joe Joe, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    ElPigto and MadMax like this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ha!! Yeah, I've been amazed how many items others needed to loiter around just at the time I needed to grab it off the shelf and take it to the register to pay for it! :)

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep, usually a mild annoyance. During this....:mad::mad::mad:.

I feel like I'm Pac Man in stores with other customers being slow moving ghosts that can kill you if you don't pick the right aisle. Avoid the fruit, it is trap.

MadMax and Kim like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Hospital or doctor lying would be breaking the law, you would think. But there has been no fact to back that up, other than youtuber and social media. There are also plenty of new reports of death that are due to covid19 but are not counted that way. And we have official 'excess deaths' throughout march and april that is unaccounted for that is most likely due to covid19.

#7633 Amiga, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Reopening by fudging numbers to meet guidelines not only gambles with lives but also destroys public faith for government and the science that underpinned the guidelines.

Texas, Virginia, and Vermont are being criticized by public-health experts for mixing up their test data, producing far more impressive numbers
    • Texas, Virginia, and Vermont have been accused of mishandling their coronavirus testing data in ways that inflate the perceived testing capacity but make the results functionally meaningless for making decisions.
    • The states all combined totals for two types of tests: those for active infections and those for past infections (measured via antibodies).
    • As the Associated Press reported, other states have been slammed for their handling of data: A Florida official said she was fired to refusing to manipulate the figures, while Georgia was under fire over misleading graphs.
    https://apnews.com/6dbd9ad370add2ba299c7da46c25004f

Nook likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

How many weeks away now

Cokebabies likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The Colorado issue was relating to that. I honestly don't think it is very prevalent, but they are investigating it there. They also changed how they count covid deaths.

The excess deaths thing is another topic. There are probably an extra 30k+ covid deaths starting from back in Nov 2019. Not sure if you saw us discussing that awhile back in this thread.

Amiga likes this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I've been trying to find the total number of antibody tests done to see how skewed the data could be. I haven't found anything yet.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Each color is 1/3rd of all COVID deaths

[​IMG]

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

This coronovirus has been a big woop

Lesson learned, too many overreactors here

Much ado about nothing

And even worse, people will let their own narrative guide their beliefs and then spew out hatred and convince others their point is true

TexasTofu likes this.