1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

25 year old man murdered in Georgia for jogging while black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, May 6, 2020.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

This is definitely a horrible tragedy, but if I'm out jogging in a neighborhood I usually never jog in and some people roll up to me with guns and start asking me what I'm doing there my first instinct isn't to fight them. Especially when one of them know I'm a criminal that I have a history with. I'm waiting for the cops to show up, I'm not going to try to wrestle away one of their guns. It's a weird situation. I don't think any 'normal' person would react the way either of the parties acted (one going after someone with guns to question/detain, or the 2nd party, to fight 2 armed guys with guns while I was unarmed).

AroundTheWorld and dachuda86 like this.
  2. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I wouldn't either but I don't know what was said

I do know if I'm out in the open and I think someone might be gunning for me, it would be easy to pick me off with a gun. It really doesn't make any sense unless he felt his life was in danger.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess it is ok to shoot those kids in the white shirt and ties walking around the neighborhoods they don't belong in

They look suspicious too . . . If you not from here. . .we can shoot you

Rocket River

edwardc likes this.
  4. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Unless of course you know that the police force itself is corrupt and known for covering up for their own.-Ask yourself would you trust the police dept given their track record?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/glynn-county-police-ahmaud-arbery.html

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Idk how he couldn’t have felt that his life was in danger...the road in front of him has been blocked off, and there is a guy standing there with a shotgun...there’s a truck full of some other rednecks trailing him

Would u think that they’re just there to talk? Especially as a black man in some small, mostly white town in Georgie of all places? It’s certainly reasonable for him to fear for his life and decide to fight and try and wrestle away the gun. They’re clearly targeting him. He has no way to escape them since he is on foot and they have vehicles. You’re waiting for the cops to show up, but how does he know that they’ve called the cops and they’re on their way? Why do u already have your gun out if the cops are on their way? The McMichaels don’t seem rational in this situation, so just waiting there for cops u don’t know are on the way is not a good option. Does he have a cell phone on him to make the call to 911 himself as he’s approaching Travis McMichael and his gun?

#585 Reeko, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    edwardc, jchu14 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Also ask yourself would you trust that police dept. Knowing that one of the guys is a former cop?

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I would not, but I damn sure would not trust the intentions of the McMichaels in this situation

as a black man, if I was in some mostly white area in the South and I see some dude in the middle of street with a gun blocking the road with his truck while another truck is trailing me from behind, I’m immediately thinking that at best, I’m about to get assaulted and severely beaten

they’ve already gone though all this trouble to corner me, so chances of them letting me escape would be slim to none in my eyes

amaru, edwardc, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

the way they each had a loaded gun, rode their pickup truck in hot pursuit overtook and blocked arbery's path, 1 standing on the road with a shotgun, another on the pickup bed with a handgun, while arbery didn't do anything criminal

those 2 were up to no good not the other way around

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'll name 5, other than the one @jiggyfly mentioned.

https://commongroundfoundation.org/
    https://www.youngblackleadership.org/
    https://100blackmen.org/
    https://nul.org/
    https://brotherhood-sistersol.org/

So, I hope from now on you'll seriously stop saying that no one is doing anything. This is just 5, of, well, many, and many local ones in big cities...but it's very hard to reach kids who have already lost hope and are only focused on what tomorrow can give them.

Just laughing at that post since it was ratioed.

It's funny to me how no matter what, the murder is excused. Like, that you actually want to live in a world where it's okay for random people with guns to kill someone because they suspect he was stealing.

It just boggles my mind that people are making this argument. That hey, I suspect you are doing a crime so it's okay for me to kill you. Yall been watching way too many westerns, that's not how things should work.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My son's best friend is a 6' 5" solidly built black guy. In Minnesota, it's hard not to live in a prominently white neighborhood. Any time he was at our house or my son's house he was clearly "out of place" and noticeable. Fortunately, no yahoos with guns ever took offense.

Rocket River and RayRay10 like this.
  11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

After wrapping up his healthy jog, Mr Arbery goes to complete the final phase of his Eagle Scout program by helping local building inspectors check for code compliance at this home under construction! What a fine young man!

12. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

I guess this has to be repeated for some people to understand things... He was killed because he tried to wrestle a gun from a man. That often leads to death.

In all actuality, Arbery endangered the McMichaels by trying to steal from a house - without that action, none of this takes place. The McMichaels need to be released from custody immediately. They were simply trying to protect their community from crime.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

When our house was being built we looked at many neighboring houses being constructed for ideas and even after ours was finished my family looked at unfinished houses. Other than the occasional piece of loose wood or Nils there wouldn't be anything to steal even if that was someone's intentional.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. bobrek

What law did he break by being in the house under construction?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's the same construction site. Even the video that is linked to the tweet says this. Man propgandists really are counting on people to just read the headline/tweet.

16. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Well, trespassing for starters, and possibly attempted burglary. According to reports, he (or an accomplice) may have stolen something on the street just prior to this as well.

Again, I don't think the McMichaels would have pursued someone if A) he was simply jogging (that's absurd); B) He was simply looking around a house (another absurd theory); or C) This was Arbery's first time. People just don't do that. The McMichaels acted like they were fed up with a situation and felt the need to put an end to it immediately. We'll see, as more evidence comes out.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Trespassing isn't a felony. You can detain someone while someone is the act of trespassing for safety reasons and wait for law enforcement. But you can't detain someone who walked on a construction site and left and didn't steal anything as the surveillance shows.

The entire point of a citizen's arrest is if the individual is an immediate threat to public safety where waiting for law enforcement might result in loss of life or more property damage/loss. Someone who walked in and out of a construction site with surveillance showing he didn't take anything is not a immediate threat that requires a Citizen arrest. There was no grounds for a citizen's arrest.

amaru likes this.
  18. bobrek

"Former Fulton prosecutor Manny Arora, who reviewed the video, said entry of a construction site is not necessarily a crime. At most, it may be a misdemeanor, unless anything was taken, he said."

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stopping someone with a gun is very difficult and it doesn't matter if you have multiple black belts and are a world champion level martial artist the overwhelming odds are you're going to get shot.

That isn't the issue here. The issue here is legal culpability not what is practical regarding self-defense. Under GA law fighting someone when you are threatened even when the odds are not in your favor is legal. That is what Stand Your Ground says. You don't have to retreat even when that is the most reasonable course of action. That Arbery didn't retreat or surrender to McMichaels has nothing to do with the legal culpability of McMichaels.

RayRay10, mdrowe00 and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

If it was a crackhead stealing lawn furniture from a neighbor's yard, would it really be worth tracking down that individual and risk killing them? It's a crackhead taking lawn furniture after all. Their life already sucks as it is.

That seems to be the rationale. There was potential for a crime to happen, so let's stalk this individual and escalate it further by bringing deadly weapons. I was always taught that if you intend to show a weapon, you better intend to use it and accept the consequences that come after. Otherwise, showing your weapon as a bluff may mean the person you're threatening calls you out on it, and forces you to use it.

Quite frankly, I think they're cowards. Coulda done a citizen's arrest and detained with their fists, but too cowardly to take a fight in their own hands. Gotta use weapons instead. It was a 3 on 1, with two trucks that could be used as deadly weapons AND guns vs a lone black dude that was already running 2 miles. Those fat ****s don't even look like they could make it a quarter mile before getting winded so they brought weapons like cowards.

The victim had no weapons and stole no items, was minding his own business jogging and was cornered. There's not even an argument that could be made he stole anything or was the aggressor in this situation.

As a kid, me and my friends in my neighborhood would go into unlocked empty houses that had been for sale for months or were under construction as new houses. We'd do stupid **** like imagine ghosts inhabited these new home builds when we'd hear a creaky sound upstairs and would play out stupid kid scenarios like that. We were more in danger of stepping on nails on the ground than anything. Hard to imagine myself or my friends as threats back then that could warrant us getting shot down by neighbors looking for trouble in their trucks.

At the end of they day, stolen equipment can be replaced, which isn't even the issue in this case. You'll never be able to replace that young man's life. It was his one and only life and it was taken from him unlawfully.

RayRay10 likes this.