1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  2. KingCheetah

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

TINFOIL time... Depopulation agenda may be real.... I mean this is the way I could imagine it IF it was going down. Pick off the less productive ones and costly sick ones with a virus just strong enough to be effective on them and leave the workers alive. The only thing more effective will be if treatments sterilize some men as a side effect. ALSO have the govt puppets stand down on disease control just enough to let it go pandemic. Then use the fear to further solidify control. Obviously this is just for fun. No way our world order is competent enough to pull this off.

OR another fun idea and more likely... this was a poison pill by China to drag the world down with it because their economy was going to crack. Businesses can't flee China if it's neighbors all have the scary disease and you need their factories to crawl out of the global recession we are entering. Also Trump didn't take pandemic threat seriously. VERY likely.

#123 dachuda86, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. NewRoxFan

Long but chilling article about the trump's team's experience and constant turnover, coupled with trump's obsession with differing from the Obama approach ("Anything associated with Obama or his administration was also a no-go zone for Trump aides. If you brought them up, “that would be an immediate rejection, like, ‘Why are they even here? Why the **** did you ask them?’”).

Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918'
    In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/16/trump-inauguration-warning-scenario-pandemic-132797

Rashmon and RayRay10 like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

two things stand out... first, seems previously that a majority had confidence that the *U.S. government* in its handling of the viru, so people seem to separate trump from that. And two, the same percent of trump supporters always seem to support him, regardless.

arkoe and RayRay10 like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

It may seem a silly thing, but that's partly the point... why does trump feel the need to lie about everything? Maybe he doesn't know he is lying all the time, but perhaps that is also the point.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

So there's a recent series of events and other details about this that strikes me as peculiar.

So there's this issue essentially in the monopoly power of google for a while, they control a ridiculous amount of the information flow, in the order of 98%

Now there's something Obama said a while a ago, these tech companies became this "because we let them", now this statement doesn't need to exist for the statement to, but it is a snapshot into the pertinent question and answer.

So that phrase can be interpreted two ways

One way is the asleep at the wheel, it just happened and we didn't stop it
    The other is that it was "allowed" in a yes 'because' way.

Because of the associated assumptions, i definitely favour the latter to be the more likely.

Ok now we move onto the series of events i'm talking about.

Trump calls the CEO of google, and provides information about that phone call that sounds like BS, but this BS isn't his usual BS, it's about the rollout of basically some shitty textbox symptoms website that 5 geeks in a cave could produce in a week, and this isn't Trump just saying **** and the other party saying, uh no comment, or you'll have to ask him, Google parrots the story verbatim, but at the same time, this small subsidiary basically says "whatchatalkinabout willis"

So on these, the primary decision tree i'm seeing is
    Google sycophanted to Trump and are just letting it go
    They're both lying out their ass because they sure as hell don't want to tell the truth, on this one i'm almost split 50/50, no where as much confidence as decision tree 1, i just don't believe a phone call would be about some stupid website.

Going back to my first point, my conclusion has always been that it would give the government control over Google's systems and hence the flow of information in a time of crisis, how would such a protocol be enacted? At that level, it would have to come from the president themselves.

But how do they take control without the employees knowing? well the only way i can think of is essentially have "algorithms" take control, no one really knows how those algorithms in search work, they're propietary secrets that are so segmented no individual employee at google would understand them, now the corporate purpose of this would be to protect google from competition, fair enough too, but it does allow second uses.

Now we move onto weird event 2, google announces its essentially turning off youtube moderation by humans, today, and turning it over to "the algorithms", such convenient timing.

Now what would this look like

I would expect certain things to disappear from search, one example that comes to mind is the fbi security index, a list of people the government keeps to round up in times of national crisis (so like the entire staff of the NYT....i jest, it'll only be a few of them), deprioritization of the outrage machine, etc, i'm genuinely worried that if this keeps up, that once supply chains dry up, and they will in many places, we're going to see (or maybe we won't "see") chaos, in particular in cities on an unprecedented scale.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

WHO tests aren't allowed by US law

10. NewRoxFan

Hmm, can you provide a source for that?

And even *if* true, couldn't an Emergency Use Application be filed and approved given it would take far less time to use an existing test than it would to create a new test and even faster than to ramp of manufacturing of existing test kits?

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

12. NewRoxFan

Again, trump tries to deflect blame saying "who woulda thunk?". But he was first briefed on Coronavirus in January, and he and his transition team were briefed on potential pandemics years ago.

Newlin and RayRay10 like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

All sorts of fail in trump's latest tweet. First, even the head of CDC that stands beside him in every press conference says its inappropriate to call it "Chinese virus". I know frump wants to play to his wingnuts that want to claim its a Chinese plot to get trump, but he risks endangering Chinese Americans by playing this political stunt. Second, perhaps there are zero cases in WV because they haven't tested anyone? Last... trump telling anyone to "not play politics" is laughable.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

And Biden can say that he isn't untested and has experience dealing with this during his time as VP and they handled it better than how it's been handled now.

topfive likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

What trump hears from the 47 people he follows on twitter...
    – This is China's fault
    – Joe Biden would be worse
    – Trump is doing a great job
    – The media is fueling the panic…
    – …but there’s no reason to panic!

What Trump’s Twitter Feed Tells Him About the Coronavirus
    The president follows 47 accounts on Twitter. Here are the five main things they’re saying about the pandemic.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/14/trump-coronavirus-twitter-feed-covid-19-129170

16. NewRoxFan

More trump trying to blame a (Democrat) governor... repeating his criticism of Gov Cuomo of NY (not working hard).

#136 NewRoxFan, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

So when folks use "Chinese virus" it can lead to this...

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

There it is I've been waiting for this gem.
    There is a conspiracy game going on right now -- China is pushing the US bioweapon went out of control angle.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

20. NewRoxFan

trump always trying to spin it as an accomplishment...