1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How many presidents have run on radically changing how much government is spending?

Or radically changing healthcare.

Who is asking about every single policy?

It's the number one issue he is running on.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Single payer is not the same as doing away with private insurance.

3. HTM

HTM Member

This is just pure "whataboutism" - and doesn't answer the very simple questions.

How many presidents have run a campaign on promoting a "political revolution" and creating several new massive government programs?

Is there something bad about people asking for monetary transparency in this context? It seems like its making you angry to have to answer. You're just attempting to deflect with some whataboutism.

Just answer the question if you can. If you can't, just admit it's going to be very expensive and you don't really know how expensive.

Bernie is proposing some massively expensive programs and people want to know how much its going to cost. Either 1.) Answer the question or 2.) say I don't know and let the chips fall where they may.

Nook, TheresTheDagger and jiggyfly like this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Is anyone aware of any polling statistics that measure something about how angry Sanders' supporters are (over time or vs other candidates')? I often see editorials say he appeals to anger, and they'll provide an anecdotal quote or two. Wondering if anyone has ever tried to measure it.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This coming for a dude that said Iowa and New Hampshire were Bernie's best states.

Roxfreak724 likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's going to be expensive and we don't know how expensive. This is basically what Bernie has been saying. He has said taxes will go up blah blah. He wants all the things, Green New Deal, Healthcare, living wage, Free college, etc. He will fight to get these things, if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.

• Herbert Walker said no New Taxes, increased taxes
    • Obama ran on hope and change, didn't change much of anything.
    • Trump said Mexico is going to pay for the wall and drain the swamp. Trump is an idiot.

I still fail to understand why you guys are so angry about this.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think over half of Bernie’s voters polled to be active on Twitter in the Nevada entrance polls. I think every other candidate polled below 15%.

So if you look at twitter / internet as being a hostile place in general for politics, the math adds up. To me, there’s also a big difference in how young people behave on the internet vs older people, although anecdotal. I think that would point to an increase of “angry” activity amongst Bernie’s supporters.

So I think this is purely a demographic thing. it makes sense, but with that being said, IMO it’s will not be exclusive to Sanders going forward, it’s not anything Sanders is doing to cause anger, this is just the obvious reality of young people getting involved with politics on the internet.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Your examples are fairly conventional and/or modest proposals compared to Bernie. People probably also questioned the cost behind those proposals too. I think it's disingenuous to compare them to the situation at hand.

Bernie is campaigning on attempting to deliver programs which will double or triple the size of the federal government. These are not conventional or modest proposals. People, naturally, want to know how that will impact their taxes.

Nook and Corrosion like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Looks like, for the first time ever, Bernie's getting the frontrunner treatment this week. Biden & Pete have some stinging attacks on him. Florida is in an uproar over his Cuba comments. Will be interesting to see how he handles it - I imagine the knives will be out in the debate tomorrow as well. This will be his big test of sustainability.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

Surprised the Castro comments haven’t generated more discussion.

I can only imagine if someone else had said, “You know Hitler did wonders for unemployment”

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Did you listen to the full quote by Bernie or are just running with the 2nd sentence that he said? I mean, its ridiculous how people fall for **** like this. He clearly condemned the negative acts of Castro in that quote yet his haters are taking a snippet of it.

12. HTM

HTM Member

I linked the interview in this thread.... I watched the 60 minute interview... you still can’t say, “I condemn the bad acts of X dictator but he did this well” - that doesn’t fly.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Why exactly cant you say that? Not everything in this world is black and white. If theres something good to be acknowledged, it can be acknowledged. Its called being realistic.

14. HTM

HTM Member

Sure. And how would that go over if another politician said it about another dictator?

:rolleyes:

TheresTheDagger and jiggyfly like this.
  15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Umm if it was any politician I would say the exact same damn thing because Im sick of people like you taking **** out of context and running along with it.

Andre0087 likes this.
  16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

No one knew healthcare was complicated.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bernie getting critiqued for being honest.

It’s impossible to put an exact estimate on M4A, he has numbers, he has ranges, so do many studies and organizations, but you can’t guarantee any of them. If Bernie gives a number and doesn’t hit that number he’d be telling a lie. He could come out and pull a Trump, say it will be tremendously cheap, but he isn’t.

The majority of studies show M4A will save a significant amount of money, and few studies show, at worst it will cost roughly the same as our current system. Both would be great deals for America considering we currently have 80 million un or underinsured, 30-50k+ dying a year due to lack of care, 500k+ going bankrupt over medical bills.

Talking about estimates for healthcare, can someone give me the estimated TOTAL cost for healthcare plans amongst all the other candidates?

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Must have been the one person I have on ignore.

19. Major

Major Member

Welcome to life as a front-runner. Lots of politicians get critiqued for being honest. Bernie is not immune to it. There are concerns with the unknowns of his plans and he's going to get called out on it.

joshuaao and ThatBoyNick like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

And that's totally fair, I just can't stand how Pete, Biden, Amy and Bloomy boy are going to go crank up their dishonesty meters to 150 pretending like M4A cost some substantial some more then our current system, when the majority of studies agree, it's the opposite.