1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chance of War with Iran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mtbrays, May 15, 2019.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but you stated this before. 82nd Airborne is mostly just plain old paratroopers, not Rangers.

RayRay10, MiddleMan and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, more war and wasteful military spending. Why not volunteer or have your kids-- if you claim to be too young or too old to go.. Just sick of chickenhawks and those who like to waste our tax dollars moronically.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The one playing middle school games is you. You and others like you, who have the bizarre idea that a war with Iran wouldn’t be incredibly costly to our people in uniform, our interests in the region, our relations with our friends and allies, as well as tossing whatever hope may have still existed for stability in the Middle East out the window.

Mr trump is a madman, and those trumpeting his actions are very ignorant people, with all due respect.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No nation. NATO is not going to lift a finger. China will not get involved. Russia will say a few things but won't get overly involved either.

ME region will become less stable and Americans will be targetted. And our relationship with Iraq...

Bush started the Iraq war that eventually push them toward Iran. Trump might have pushed them over the wall. Wonderful how these things work out.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’m seeing a lot of quotes about how “evil” this man was and how he deserved to die, etc.

What exactly did he do that warrants an extrajudicial assassination, that Americans who control and direct militias in the region have not done?

Rocket River likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep. My brother is a marine. He's older and an instructor now, but he's over there in the middle east regardless, and from what I've gathered, very much uneasy about the lack of strategy & long term planning. I think they all want to take out these guys, but nobody I know has interest in doing having a standing army occupy Iraq for another decade. Most I know seem to support strategic special forces attacks from cell units. That's certainly not what this assassination implies strategically.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Meanwhile... trump back to hawking books he finds favorable to him...

I think he will be appearing at a campaign rally at a florida megachurch...

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can see China and Russia both selling arms to Iran to make sure they're fully equipped to fight us. And buying their oil, giving them loans, and all the other things one usually does for proxy fighters.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Again... this is where trump has led republicans... (note trump's retweet promoting dinesh's statement)

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A prediction I agree with, and not one that benefits the United States.

dobro1229 and ROXTXIA like this.
  11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saudis and Israel will stand on the sidelines and cheer the US on from afar in the media, which will probably be counterproductive, on both counts because Israel is... well... Israel, and Saudi-Iran is so polarizing.

I wonder if anybody in those countries told Trump what a good idea this was, as Putin told him it was the Ukranians, not Russia that meddled in the elections.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think that Trump was right on this one.

MiddleMan likes this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oh, yeah. These conflicts grow many arms. China sent hundreds of thousands of troops to Hanoi so that North Vietnam could free up soldiers to fight in the field. After the war they probably went back to hating each other's guts. Could be the same sort of thing here.

14. Senator

Senator Member

US is too far ahead with drone knowledge and intel to go ahead with huge ground troop deployments. That was my first post in this thread and why it was much more likely for an attack. Bases are on high alert in Iraq and you hope for avoided casualties but Iran knows they'll only be tightening the noose around their neck if they get out of line.

MiddleMan likes this.
  15. Senator

Senator Member

You keep acting like a war is on the horizon with the US desperate to gain control of Iran's resources, but they do not care. They will comfortably use remote technology to launch attacks with no humans involved. Lessons from Afghanistan. This will be Iran trying to arm insurgent groups into infilitrating foreign countries, like they always have done, and the US using drones while taking extra caution to protect troops already in Iraq. Any direct action by Iran or nuclear threats will only tighten the noose around their neck further.

MiddleMan likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

you don’t think there’s another hardline general ready to take the dude’s place? And do you think this helped the pro-reform wing?

imagine having one of Germany’s leading political figures illegally snuffed by a foreign power. What would that do to German politics?

RayRay10, FrontRunner and Deckard like this.
  17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

While Trump gives the final word, I think (hope) there are several serious people left in the decision-making process like Esper and Pompeo (yes, he lies for Trump, but I don't think he's a complete buffoon). And part of me believes that this is was a non-political decision made to prevent imminent harm. Forget the noise from the hawks and doves who can't see gray and react the same way to all actions. There's evil everywhere, but actionable intelligence and protecting american lives was probably highly valued in this process.

TheresTheDagger and pgabriel like this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Say what you like about me, but don’t outright lie in the process. Where have I mentioned “the US desperate to gain control of Iran’s resources.” Show me, please. I would be very interested in seeing that post. You can’t, because you made it up. Typical middle school behavior.

19. Buck Turgidson

Yes, all Rangers are airborne, but not all Airborne units are Rangers.

Bender knows.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Didn't we illegally snuff Bin Laden? There were other Al-Qaeda leaders that the US droned prior to Trump that took out families and children too. I don't think any of these decisions were made lightly. I would think the unintended consequences were weighed each time a decision was made to kill, and hopefully was carefully done so yesterday too.

Really interesting documentary interviewing CIA chiefs prior to the Trump era. (Spymasters)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5307018/