1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Handles

Handles Member

Idk man it’s just a non-story. Someone got offended by an ass, now it’s compounded in social media. Issues got conflated. What is even the point?

I’m with Bill burr on this one. Overreaction culture is just awful. 15 years ago nobody even cares. If those three reporters were men, nobody even hears the story. If Twitter didn’t exist, nobody can express outrage.

Osuna did something terrible and astros fans including myself were upset with trading for him. We all were angry over this. Now we have to rehash all that anger because someone was offended by an ass drunk celebrating. It accomplished nothing to rehash this. Just distracts from the World Series and taints one of the greatest moments in astros history.

#281 Handles, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    fiersdownbelow and Houstunna like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm still confused about the context.

Was he just randomly shouting this? This is even more confusing because apparently that he shouted it has been super corroborated at this point. So why aren't we hearing more about whatever led to him shouting it, or clarification that nothing led to him shouting it?

Madano, Invisible Fan and BigM like this.
  3. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

This. I'm waiting for more before I jump on roasting his ass but if its true and the context is correct then he needs to go.

BigM likes this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Still very confused.

Were the female reporters known for writing something in the past against Osuna that Taubman clearly knew about that compelled him to yell the specific chant at them.

Or did they say something against Osuna that night that triggered him to say something?

If not then how is anyone to know why the pro Osuna chant was started and who it was directed at?

Am I completely missing something?

Madano, Handles and BigM like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yup. I don't think people's live should generally be ruined on a moment of stupidity. He's highly regarded in his role and is/was a prime candidate to be the next person plucked from the Luhnow tree. But, if the context and the report is accurate, man does he look stupid. Some jobs just don't have the ability to let you recover from mistakes like that.

Handles and Rock Block like this.
  6. Handles

Handles Member

Were you there? Do you have the context that has yet to be fully fleshed out?

You’re so quick to accuse, you even have a false presumption of me.

I’m not denying that this guy was being an ass. If the story is true as told without full context, yea he’s an ass. I’m just denying that this is a story at all. Outrage culture is such a pain.

7. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Couldnt agree more....

8. likestohypeguy

Mocking a female reporter, is basically rape.

Mock-rape, if you will.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

So this is also bad journalism because it should be sourced. Or least wait to tweet that until you report your story.. Just that I figure it will be picked up by larger new threads soon:

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, I just opened up the ESPN app and one of the female reporters was giving a statement. Obviously take it as face value that it is her statement, but...

she came across as very measured and competent. And noted regarding context, (i) there was none, because there was none. They weren't talking to Taubman, or even really knew what was going on. He just randomly started shouting it, (ii) she gave Astros time to comment, (iii) she offered to interview Taubman in case she was misunderstanding context, (iv) it was in a room full of reporters so it couldn't have really been misheard anyway and thus not surprising various reporters came out supporting her/their story.

In short, indeed this dude is an ass/dumbass, and even moreso the Astros are complete idiots here. At least someone probably should be fired, because they very easily could have investigated, spoke to the reporter, apologized, whatever. Instead, it is a story, even if you think it shouldn't be, on the eve of the World Series.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If he said it to prove a point that FO was vindicated for doing the move, it's a dumb point.

Astros got him for cheap because he's toxic and a potential powder keg.

Not only does this dig up old wounds, the whole point of keeping the situation under control is for FO to eat the public relations hit.

You shouldn't get a medal for employing a wife/gf beater dummy. All you can do is hope people forget. Then you keep your head down while the guy produces so the fans won't bring up the scummy move you pulled to make the team better.

12. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Not sure if serious.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It does mean however that, like everything else in this world, you take these reports that contain so little meaningful detail with a huge grain of salt and wait for a more complete picture to emerge before reaching a judgement or decision.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. likestohypeguy

I don't necessarily agree with it, not in every circumstance, but the reality is behaviors like mocking, passing gas, aggressive pointing, intimidating shouts etc. are now considered a form of rape.

RustyHarden likes this.
  16. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Omg you CANNOT be serious. Lmao.

17. Handles

Handles Member

So the story is:
    - AGM was a drunken ass
    - reporters got offended
    - astros claim story is misleading
    - astros move on to focus on World Series
    - people want other people fired to satisfy their justice boners
    - people outraged with org for focusing on World Series instead of the offended
    - AGM tainted a historic astros moment and will probably be punished in some way

woo fun story. Let’s all turn our attention to the World Series now. Go stros!

18. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

So Alyson Footer has been raping Osuna this whole time then? She constantly mocks him by tweeting about domestic violence when he goes into a game.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Ok, I laughed.

BigM likes this.
  20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

“Thank God we got Osuna” is in no way a statement for or against domestic assault. At the end of the day, any inflammatory interpretations are the result of circumstances entirely created by the reporter.

Its extremely obvious that the reporter was attempting to get reactions out of this story, about an event that occurred a year ago. It’s piss poor journalism, and she should have her media credentials revoked if she’s just going to incite divisive conversation.

Sports Illustrated must be taking the NYT’s approach to hiring now. If she was a man, she wouldn’t have a job. I don’t see why she should get to keep hers just because she’s a woman.

fiersdownbelow, RustyHarden and J.R. like this.