1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine scandal Megathread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Sep 18, 2019.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ivanka: No tongues.
    (think, Young Frankenstein)

Nook likes this.
  2. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

only Kevin Spacey can pull this one off

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Tell the truth, this presidency is exhausting. Lie after lie, someone who has no respect for anyone let alone the office he holds.

He's screwed the pooch, but even then, the whole thing is just a little sad. Not sad for him. His presidency including his (probable) impeachment (in the House) are sad for the country.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

deep state is desperate to oust Trump, just as they were desperate to stop his election

Silent_Bob likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They were so desperate they brainwashed him into committing a crime.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The deep state forced POTUS to call Ukraine and request coordinate with US government in investigating family of POTUS's political rival in the US? Did the deep state brainwash POTUS or something?

Did the deep state also lead him to obstruct justice (as detailed in Mueller Report) earlier?

You folks keep saying other folks are out to get him... but you never comment on his own completely out of bounds behaviors. I mean, ever.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Puppet?!?! He's no puppet!!

YOU'RE the Puppet!!!

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Did any Trumpers not expect this? Dude's denying climate change, siding with the NRA in an era of horrific mass shootings, palling around with dictators that are actively murdering journalist, locking children in cages, presenting Mussolini as the face of the Free World with absolutely no capacity for compassion, no collective view of all Americans, no humility and he lies every damn day.

Hell yeah the Deep State is going to put him down. He's giving us all rabies.

Hakeemtheking and RayRay10 like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

11. Invisible Fan

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/09/giuliani-ukraine-trump-biden/598879/

hen I last saw Rudy Giuliani for lunch, at the Trump International Hotel in Washington four weeks ago, his most pressing concern was that he had been locked out of his Instagram account. Giuliani, the former mayor of New York City and current personal attorney to President Donald Trump, had a young woman named Audra, who told me she had won the “hottiesfortrump” Reddit channel’s “Miss Deplorable” contest three years in a row, there to assist him. As Giuliani and I spoke, roughly a dozen tourists asked him to pose for photos and congratulated him on the “work” he was doing for the country.

Today, Giuliani, and specifically his “work” on behalf of the president’s 2020 reelection campaign, is a key part of a whistle-blower complaint describing alleged efforts to solicit foreign interference in the upcoming election—perhaps the most damning scandal of the Trump presidency to date. The complaint alleges that White House officials sought to “lock down” all records of Trump’s call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, during which Trump offered the help of Attorney General William Barr and Giuliani to investigate the dealings of former Vice President Joe Biden’s son Hunter in the country. It also alleges that State Department officials were “deeply concerned” about Giuliani’s subsequent conversations with Ukrainian leaders.

Even among the president’s closest allies, Giuliani is now the subject of scorn. When I reached him by phone this morning, following House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff’s release of the full whistle-blower complaint at the center of the Ukraine scandal, he was, put simply, very angry.

“It is impossible that the whistle-blower is a hero and I’m not. And I will be the hero! These morons—when this is over, I will be the hero,” Giuliani told me.

“I’m not acting as a lawyer. I’m acting as someone who has devoted most of his life to straightening out government,” he continued, sounding out of breath. “Anything I did should be praised.

Giuliani unleashed a rant about the Bidens, Hillary Clinton, the Clinton Foundation, Barack Obama, the media, and the “deep state.” He has spoken freely about all these topics since the moment he became a surrogate in Trump’s 2016 campaign. Giuliani has aired far-right conspiracy theories about Hillary Clinton’s health on national television. He has discussed his convictions about alleged Biden-family corruption with Trump in the White House residence. Still, until the Ukraine scandal broke, Trump’s allies were almost uniformly supportive of Giuliani to reporters, and current and former administration officials would often praise him for his loyalty.

Not until the back-to-back release of the summary of the Trump-Zelensky call and the full whistle-blower complaint did the mood change among this group.

This morning, a former senior White House official told me this “entire thing,” referring to the Ukraine scandal, was “Rudy putting **** in Trump’s head.” A senior House Republican aide bashed Giuliani, telling me he was a “moron.” Both individuals spoke on condition of anonymity in order to be candid.

“They’re a bunch of cowards,” Giuliani told me in response. “I didn’t do anything wrong. The president knows they’re a bunch of cowards.”

Giuliani said he’s looking forward to watching the State Department “sink themselves” as officials try to create distance from him. In the complaint, the whistle-blower wrote that officials, including Ambassadors Kurt Volker and Gordon Sondland, “had spoken with Mr. Giuliani in an attempt to ‘contain the damage’ to U.S. national security,” and that the ambassadors had tried to help the Ukrainian administration “understand and respond to the differing messages they were receiving from official U.S. channels on the one hand, and from Mr. Giuliani on the other.”

When I asked him about this specifically, Giuliani nearly began shouting into the telephone. “The State Department is concerned about my activities? I gotta believe [the whistle-blower] is totally out of the loop, or just a liar,” he said.

Giuliani went on to say that State Department officials had asked for his assistance. “If they were so concerned about my activities, why did they ask for my help? Why did they send me a bunch of friendly text messages reaching out for my help, thanking me for my help?” Giuliani said he planned to make sure these “friendly text messages” came out “in a longer story.”

He continued to stress that “all his facts” were “true” about the Bidens, though there is no evidence so far that they are. Giuliani argued the reason his attempts to root out corruption were front-page news, and not the alleged corruption itself, was because “the press idolizes Joe Biden and despises Donald Trump.” In a tweet last night, Biden said it was “clear” that “Donald Trump pressured Ukraine to manufacture a smear against a domestic political opponent,” calling it “an abuse of power that violates the oath of office and undermines our democracy.”

Giuliani has no intention, however, of slowing the smear campaign. “If this guy is a whistle-blower, then I’m a whistle-blower too,” Giuliani said. “You should be happy for your country that I uncovered this.”

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I see why Trump likes the guy.

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Donald Trump is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Enjoy prison, Rudy

edwardc and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Can we add mental illness? Maybe he developed schizophrenia.

Trump has a wealth of resources and data at his finger tip, but he rely on "friends" for the "truth". The mistrust of the government he heads, the trust of conspiracy theories, combined with "i am a genius" perception is a potent mix.

edwardc and CometsWin like this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The thing amazing about Rudy is how he squandered away America's good will. He was once considered 'America' s Mayor' after 9/11. Now the nicest thing most people think about him is that they feel sorry for him because he lost his mind.

He really blew away all of that good will. I lived in NYC before and during 9/11. I already hated him but not as much as I do now.

You have to work hard to trample out the amount of goodwill that guy did. But Giuliani has worked incredibly hard at ruining his public image. And he's been successful at it.

17. adoo

adoo Member

witch / traitor caught, hunt over !

lock him up !​

18. Anticope

Anticope Member

What's funny is that your reaction to all of this would be the exact opposite were it a Democrat that was under fire for pressuring a foreign government to investigate a political rival. You and Mojo and others would be in here posting every tweet and article about what laws were violated and how corrupt the administration is.

The only deep state that actually exists is the deep state of cult-like behavior that you've allowed your mind to be lulled into.

Nook, joshuaao, CometsWin and 4 others like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

As Trump's surrogate, he should at least have the goodwill and defense of cons and Republicans, no?

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Some, but he's bungled things so badly before, that many no longer trust that he's capable even if he is a legit supporter of Trump