1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman for MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joshuaao, Aug 25, 2019.

1. CrazyJoeDavola

Bereckgman???

2. vince

vince Member

My keyboard was doing an autocorrect, and didn’t notice it..

Rox Addict likes this.
  3. vince

vince Member

Thank you for sharing the same experience.

In 2019, I thought we were a little bit over the grammar police. It’d be one thing if I did it all the time, as far as I can tell it’s only happened on this thread...

But my experience is grammar police comes out when they have a beef with someone... Shoot I’ve always enjoyed reading seaclubbers post! Still do!

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I would reference Dave Bergman instead of Sean, however

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Would take a near historic final week for Bregman to have any chance now. Would actually prefer he saves that week for the playoffs.

Jake Tower likes this.
  6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Bregman is 0.8 WAR behind Trout in fangraphs and 0.5 WAR behind at baseball-reference. These are the two WAR stats writers usually use.

If he can put up a few good games and get a bit closer in those categories, I think he has a good shot. Him being on a winning team with better RBI/Run stats should mean all the old school voters will vote for him. And him being fairly close in OPS/WAR will make it harder for the newer writers to auto-write in Trout. There are still a lot of people who can't stomach giving the MVP to a player on a losing team. Even if that player may go down in history as the best player of all time.

joshuaao, vince and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Trout just has a bigger profile, and a solid resume' this year to back it, for him to just lose it. Bregman is certainly gaining ground in both regards and soon enough will be able to flash his rings as support.

vince likes this.
  8. vince

vince Member

Wow, Bregman is making a solid case in the WAR to take the MVP argument for himself....

A few weeks ago, even fellow Astros fans were laughing at the thought of Bregman winning the MVP.

Great going Bregman!

CinematicFusion likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FWIW, he wouldn't be in the discussion if Trout stayed healthy, but he didn't stay healthy.

At this point if I had a vote it would go to Bregman. A lot of people have become slaves to the WAR number as if it's a perfect stat that provides unquestionable evidence of who was better. I do like the WAR stat, I like it a lot, I think it's easily the best stat we have right now as a catch all for value provided in all areas of the game. But there is a margin for error in the stat, and I think Bregman has closed enough ground to be within that margin.

I still don't think he's gonna win it, which is kind of weird. If this were 10 years ago I think he would be the runaway winner. Hell just 4 years ago Donaldson won it despite Trout having a higher WAR and OPS. Yet it feels like he has no chance.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I've come around. Being there the whole year should be part of the grade.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would love to see Bregman win, but I believe the 134 games Trout played will be enough to hold his lead considering his statistical advantage in several categories.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

WAR isn't perfect, but
    4 years ago Donaldson won the MVP.
    From 1996 to 2010, 5 Rangers won MVP including 2 by Juan Gonzalez. Unless the Rangers won some World Series I forgot about, they probably didn't deserve that many MVPs. *
    Maris won over Mantle.

WAR Leader means more than MVP to me in regards to who the Most Valuable Player was/best player in a given year.

*Hoping this is bad counting by me because that's a lot of MVP awards.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

If you buy the new bomb pops you might expect three flavors, but you only get two, and you get 4 less pops for the same price. And that's how this is going to play out. It's a daddy issue.

14. bobrek

Yordan Alvarez faints

arkoe likes this.
  15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Don't point out my inconsistent logic! For ROY though I don't feel that way, maybe because it's not a rookie's fault when they get called up to go along with no one else being even really close to Yordan.

mikol13 and bobrek like this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Astros are on the verge of collecting enough hardware to fill up a space shuttle

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

So which rookie played the whole year and put up better counting stats than Alvarez

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

These are fairly pointless comparisons since war wasnt even a stat for many of these years and even more recently, were not really popular enough with mainstream media.

This was the whole thing with regards to the Cabrera/Trout debate during Miggys triple crown season, since the analytics community were pissed that they didnt give it to Trout despite huge advantage in defense and WAR.

Ironically defense is what may give Bregman the MVP this year since the offensive numbers favor much more in favor of Trout while defense favors Bregman

19. bobrek

Since you asked...

Jimenez from the White Sox has been on the roster the entire season and unless something weird happens this next week, will have enough plate appearances to qualify. He has more HRs, same amount of RBIs, more runs and more hits, plus he has played 900+ innings defensively (note that this is not an endorsement). Personally, I feel Alvarez should be ROTY.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Oh forgot about him since he's been so bad for so long this year. But he would definitely be considered a good candidate in the minds of some imo, assuming he ends up with better counting stats at the end.

Although the discrepancy in production is much more vast than Bregman and Trout. If Jiminez had actually played better he'd have a better shot at ROY than people here may think