1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Cut Matt Stevens

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DieHard Rocket, Feb 24, 2004.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2418714

For the second time in as many Februarys, the Texans have released Matt Stevens. This time, he won't be coming back.

Stevens, who was the starter at free safety for 21 of the Texans' 32 games, becomes an unrestricted free agent and can negotiate with any team in the NFL when the signing period begins March 3. The Texans cut Stevens to save $2 million on the salary cap after the 2002 season. Tuesday's move saved the team $2.5 million, Stevens' scheduled base salary for 2004.

That's a hefty cap hit for a backup, which Stevens became six games into the 2003 season when he lost his starting job to Marlon McCree. The Texans claimed McCree off waivers from Jacksonville on Sept. 17 and five weeks later, Stevens' playing time was limited to substitution packages and special teams.

Neither Stevens nor his agent, Neil Cornrich, returned phone calls Tuesday. Texans general manager Charley Casserly also was unavailable for comment. Stevens' release gives the Texans' more wiggle room heading into free agency, not to mention their efforts to restructure defensive end Gary Walker's contract. Walker has an $11.85 million cap number for next season and also will be released if the two sides can't work out a deal to lower that figure.

McCree is a restricted free agent and the Texans would like to re-sign him, but there are no guarantees he will be the starting free safety in 2004. The Texans would love to draft Miami's Sean Taylor, the top-rated safety in the draft, but he likely will be off the board when the Texans make the 10th selection of the first round. It's also possible the Texans could sign a free-agent cornerback or select one in the draft and move veteran cornerback Marcus Coleman to free safety.

Stevens had hoped to be the man who solidified the free safety position, but his brief tenure with the team was marked by criticism from fans and the media. He was criticized on talk shows and message boards after failing to make tackles on two plays that led to touchdowns in the Texans' first two games at Miami and New Orleans last season.

"I feel like other than a couple of missed tackles, I've played fine," Stevens told the Chronicle in September. "I don't even have the most missed tackles on the team. I don't worry about what people say. I'm used to it from eight years of experience in the league. No one sits in those meeting rooms except the players and the coaches. Most of the people who are (criticizing) don't know what they're talking about. It's ludicrous."

Stevens, whom the Texans acquired from the New England Patriots in the 2002 expansion draft, started all 16 games at free safety during the Texans' inaugural season and the first five of 2003. He had 86 tackles, two interceptions and was credited with four passes defended in 28 games with the Texans. Stevens, 30, has played for five teams and never has spent more than two full seasons with the same team.

========

Obviously the coaches in those meeting rooms agreed with what the media people were talking about. The only reason he was kept around is that they had nobody else to backup McCree.

2. Chump

Chump Member

wheeeeeeeeeew

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't they cut him last season as well only to resign him to a cheaper contract?

4. notafaker

notafaker Member

NOOOOOOOOOO not Matt Stevens! Wow hes was the most involved defensive player on the team! I remember him chasing recievers to the endzone all season. I can't belive they cut him!

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

That's hilarious. I think your the only person who actually thought he did a good job.

He was horrible, lost his starting job halfway through the year a guy we picked up off of waivers from Jacksonville. He's not coming back according to the article. He is free to sign with any team. Good riddance.

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Oops, sorry, to early in the morning to read sarcasm

He was horrible, lost his starting job halfway through the year a guy we picked up off of waivers from Jacksonville. He's not coming back according to the article. He is free to sign with any team. Good riddance.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Denial. He'll never improve with that attitude.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, because everybody knows that tackling isn't that important for a Safety...

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yeah he did do a good job ,a good job of chasing the other teams WR into the endzone.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Thank God the Texans cut his ass.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What a joke...He was just plain horrible...I'm so glad he's gone, but I would be even happier if ST fell into our laps...

12. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Yes, this is Glorious News!

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yes...but this time I think the articles says he won't be back. They probably cut him last time only for the purpose of re-signing him.

14. tozai

tozai Member

how was that guy a starter in the NFL.

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Boy Matt looked real good tapping Duece McCallister on the shoulder pad right before he scored a touchdown.

16. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Not to derail here, but Matt Stevens ineptitude make me think of another H-Town inept caucasian from the past.

Seriously, to the best of my memory, if Ian Howfield makes that pooch kick against the unbeaten Redskins during week 10 (or so?) during 1991 to beat them - not only would the Oilers have gone to 9 and 1, but the Oilers would have won the Super Bowl that year!

I only wish Matt Stevens would have cried as did that wuss Ian Howfield. For some reason I find pleasure in it. Ineptitude, it's not just a 10 letter word.

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah i remember that one. I was just thinking Moon has to have the most passing yards by a QB to never reach a Conference Title Game. Thats crazy when you think about it. One of the best passing QB's of all time never had a shot to play in a title game.

18. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

HALLELUJAH!!!

REJOICE!!!

That roster move alone will save us a few TD's and some games.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

How was Andre Ware not a starter.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's right you know. The only problem was that all of his missed tackles seemed to cause td's. Remeber that great hit he put on Ricky Williams in week 1? I think RW thought there was a gnat on his leg or something.

Stevens is pathetic. I just wonder what took them so long to cut him. Good riddance