1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Rockets don’t make the NBA Finals...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Jul 5, 2019.

?

Should the Rockets blow it up if they don’t make the NBA finals?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

they should blow it up. This was suggested this morning by the radio host on 610 AM and I just wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts on this were.

He said that if they don’t make the NBA finals this year with this roster they should trade Harden for an Anthony Davis type package and just blow it up. Have a complete fire sale and start the rebuilding process.

RKREBORN and RichieBanks like this.
  2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I agree id rather get something for Harden then just watch us slowly slide into obscurity... The team as is probably has peaked.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keep Harden till he is 33. Or trade him for draft picks.

Everyone else out of the window. CC is young enough to keep couple more years.

tc0330 and Highlyrated like this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

They are not going to make the finals. Shouldn't your poll just read "should we blow it up now?"

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think tad brown might be referring to next offseason on the fireworks after we fail to make the finals again.

lilbird20 and Highlyrated like this.
  6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I agree. This core warrants one more shot. Then time to go young.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  7. DaneB

DaneB Member

I would hope that Daryl Morey stays with the team if that were to happen. I would love to see him build up the team from a clean slate. He’s never been able to do that.

burlesk, ElDobleK and daywalker02 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he refers to them fireworks when he had food poisoning.

Jontro likes this.
  9. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

They stopped talking about the Texans long enough to mention the Rockets?

But how will we know who would be the best fourth string O-lineman on the practice squad?

10. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

12 years of Morey and his delusional "we are favorites to land Butler", " we will finsih top of the western conference", hiring of yes man coaches, mediocre drafting is not enough?

If we are rebuilding, we need to clean house - Harden goes, Morey goes, MDA goes, Turd "fireworks" Brown goes and it were up to me cheap ass Tilman goes (unlikely)

smp, cheke64, lw17 and 3 others like this.
  11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Harden has been MVP once and runner up three times in the last five years! He rarely misses any games due to injury and is only 29yrs old at the moment. Voluntarily trading him is sacrilegious!! There is no way we are getting equal value in return!! True “Superstars” are not dime a dozen!

FWIW I think everyone on 610 AM are idiots!!

#11 BamBam, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Gray_Jay, Reeko, 34to11 and 5 others like this.
  12. ball king23

ball king23 Member

we should blow it up if we do not make it

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is not enough trust in Morey to retool successfully with Harden.

Year after year we give him a chance.

Has to earn it back.

#13 daywalker02, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Highlyrated likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

harden will be good enough to lead a team until the end of this contract. trading him won't get us equal value.

paul won't be tradable for the duration of his contract. if the goal is to start over you'd want to stockpile assets not use them to trade paul's contract.

capela at 25 on a reasonable contract is actually a guy you keep if you were to go young.

tucker wouldn't even get us a first round pick (by next year when he's a year older) and would upset CP3 and harden. not worth it.

and you know at that point we're basically committed to not blowing it up (barring acquiring a star). we're sticking together until harden/paul's contracts run out, with a possibility of not resigning ego/tucker beforehand.

Handles, HP3, Patience and 1 other person like this.
  15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Man, some people in this city would have traded Hakeem before we won our two championships. Hakeem was 29 in 91-92 and hadn't come close to a Finals since 1986. Luckily, we kept him and got enough of the right pieces around him to win back-to-back championships.

You don't give up on guys like Harden in their prime and he's still got at least 3-4 years in that window. You continue to tinker until you can fit the right pieces around him and you continue to run it back with him.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You not going to Trade Harden for the Next Harden next summer
    The Next Step . . .The Next LeBron etc .. . . any team with them will keep them
    So
    You trying to Trade him for the Next John Wall? DeMar Derozan? LaMarcus Aldridge?

Rocket River

Patience likes this.
  17. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Does Harden ever spend is offseason in Houston

lw17 likes this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It would be difficult for us to even execute the kind of rebuilding strategy we're seeing teams like the Pelicans and Grizzlies employ. The Grizzlies, in particular, are leveraging their cap space to absorb contracts for draft picks in very clever ways. And, of course, the Pelicans just drafted the most touted incoming rookie since probably LeBron.

Even if we got a great haul for Harden (and I'm not sure what teams are out there that could put together that Lakers type of package now. Maybe the Knicks with Barrett, Mitchell, Dennis Smith, Knox and picks? Do you guys want to move one of the greatest Rockets in history for those guys?) we'd likely be stuck with CP3 eating up huge amounts of our cap space for years so we wouldn't have the same kind of flexibility that the Grizzlies have. The Pelicans don't either but I believe they could trade Jrue Holiday if they wanted and create that cap space.

Also, I think there are too many factors to even make that determination right now. The best you could say is maybe it's something they should look at. I don't think anybody, at the beginning of last season, expected this year to be as up for grabs as it is. Sure, some predicted Durant would leave but nobody saw the Klay injury coming.

In the coming year there could be more stars succumbing to career changing injuries. Other stars may demand trades. Another Pascal Siakam may emerge and create an unexpected contender. All sorts of things could happen to change the landscape of the NBA.

So I guess while I understand the thought process it just seems way too premature to be considering it and so long as we have three more years left on CP3's deal I'm not sure how effective that kind of move would be anyway.

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

Hot take. Havent heard anyone think of this before.

It's going to be easy to point to New Orleans and try to use that as an example. But that seems to be the exception instead of the rule. Look at Chicago and Minnesota trading Butler, Indiana trading George and San Antonio trading Kawhi. None of them got the types of returns that the Pelicans got for AD- and AD isn't that much better than Butler or George, and honestly probably isn't as good as Kawhi.
    Also, New Orleans just happened to get crazy lucky by getting the number 1 pick by chance at the same time as the AD trade. Without that, woukd be an entirely different situation.

And finally- there are a lot of "can't miss" prospects that end up missing. Maybe they just don't develop or end up getting constantly injured. Trading for a young player, you hope that maybe they develop into a star, MVP level kind of player- which is what we already have in Harden.

At some point, it would be wise for us to do this. It happens to every team. But this season we deserve anothet chance to see what this group can do. So why talk about this before seeing how the next season goes?

Patience likes this.
  20. 34to11

34to11 Member

Yes Clutchfans, Yes!!!
    Brilliant idea.

I mean, history tells you all you need to know. I've always said one of the biggest mistakes in Rockets history was not trading Olajuwon in '92 when they had the chance.
    This team can't afford to make that dumbass mistake again.

It makes absolute sense to trade a LOYAL, durable, perpetual MVP candidate in his prime for no other reason than "just because".
    Besides, contenders status gets old. Winning 50-60 games a season gets tiresome. It's nothing like the thrill of the treadmill.

The real trick though will be finding a team willing to trade a handful of role players and maybe a draft pick in exchange for a bonafide superstar. If only that dimwit Morey could pull off a masterstroke like Presti and nab us a Kevin Martin/Jeremy Lamb package.
    We all know they're STILL celebrating in OKC over that deal.