1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

America's New Concentration Camp System

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't take hotair as a legit site nor does it offer any hard data or truths to why you see that spike.

From what I have read - Trump's policies have failed to curb border attempts because the people coming aren't just looking for better economic opportunities - they are fleeing horrible situations that would cause them to risk their lives. And Trump's policies aren't going to deter people from trying.

Instead Trump is tightening the grip on all immigration from brown countries under the guise that America has too many people - it doesn't. The truth is that Trump and the people who support him don't like people of color and are putting these policies in place to limit them. And it's not working at all.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

cornyn is such a shmuck...

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The price of oil has destabilized central america just like it has done to the middle east. Its no coincidence you see migrants from both regions

4. NewRoxFan

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Corporations like that are schmucks. Get woke go broke.

6. NewRoxFan

Again, this is a republican strategist and husband to a trump adviser...

7. NewRoxFan

And Maria Cordona's response to matt shlepp...

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dave Schuler on the border funding bill:

It was not a defeat for Speaker Pelosi and the Democrats. It was not a victory Majority Leader McConnell, President Trump, or the Republicans. The Democrats were overtaken by events. The situation at our southern border is a crisis and it’s not a crisis created by President Trump. It’s the same crisis as was faced by President Obama: families with children crossing the border in unprecedented numbers. House Democrats realized that they could not coherently rail against the Trump Administration’s detention practices but refuse to fund more humane detention practices in favor of what is euphemistically called “comprehensive immigration reform” without being reasonably accused of playing politics with people’s lives. Trump did not back them into a corner. Hundreds of thousands of Guatemalan, Salvadoran, Nicaraguan, and Honduran migrants did.

It was a pragmatic decision.

Here’s my major point. Stuff like this used to be easy or at least easier. It used to be much easier to do the right thing without every editorial page in the country complaining about defeat. It didn’t used to be the case that the only way to win was for the other party to lose.

Most people under the age of 40 don’t remember it but it wasn’t always this way. It hasn’t always been duels to the death 100% of the time. You can blame it on Newt Gingrich or farther back to Jim Wright but Congressional politics has not always been as fiercely partisan as it is now.​

http://theglitteringeye.com/about-that-border-supplemental-spending-bill/

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. Nook

Nook Member

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Nobel Prize in stupidity":

‘Nobel Prize in stupidity’: Holocaust survivor wants AOC out of Congress
    By Doree Lewak

June 29, 2019 | 4:06pm

There are few remaining survivors of concentration camps. Ed Mosberg is one of them.

And the 93-year-old from Morris Plains, NJ, has no time for Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s statements last week, when she called the southern border’s migrant detention centers “concentration camps.”

“She should be removed from Congress. She’s spreading anti-Semitism, hatred and stupidity,” Mosberg told The Post. “The people on the border aren’t forced to be there — they go there on their own will. If someone doesn’t know the difference, either they’re playing stupid or they just don’t care.”

On June 18, the Bronx/Queens politician posted a video on Instagram in which she said: “The United States is running concentration camps on our southern border, and that is exactly what they are — they are concentration camps.”

Mosberg, who lost his entire family during the Holocaust and himself survived both the Plaszów and Mauthausen camps, said: “Her statement is evil. It hurts a lot of people. At the concentration camp, we were not free. We were forced there by the Germans who executed and murdered people — there’s no way you can compare.”

On June 21, the Holocaust education group From the Depths, of which Mosberg is the president, extended an invitation to AOC via Facebook, encouraging her to tour “German Nazi concentration camps” with Mosberg. He said he hoped to take her to the museum and memorial site at Auschwitz, where his mother was murdered.

But when other members of Congress encouraged the freshman representative to take Mosberg up on the offer, AOC publicly declined. She tweeted to Iowa Rep. Steve King: “The last time you went on this trip it was reported that you also met w/ fringe Austrian neo-Nazi groups to talk shop. So I’m going to have to decline your invite. But thank you for revealing to all how transparently the far-right manipulates these moments for political gain.”

Following a 2018 trip with From the Depths, King reportedly met with a group founded by a former Nazi SS officer.

Mosberg said he was very disappointed by AOC’s rejection.

“She should be taught a lesson,” he said. “If you’re not there, you will never know what happened. She doesn’t want to learn — she’s looking for excuses. I would like to nominate her for the Nobel Prize in stupidity.”

AOC’s rep told The Post, “She made a distinction between a death camp and concentration camp. She’s been pretty outspoken about the issue.”

If she accepts his offer, the nonagenarian said, he would personally give her a tour of camps.

“I can show her where they killed my mother, my grandparents and cousins so she understands this,” he said. “I will bring her to the place where they give my wife’s mother [benzine] injections to the heart and put her on the fire.”

Mosberg, who was born in Krakow, Poland, witnessed unspeakable horror during his teenage years.

“I saw people being hung, being beaten to death, [attacked] by dogs. I was laying on the ground, [the Nazi guards] were trying to kill me.”

A badly beaten Mosberg had nearly lost the will to live by the time he was liberated by American troops. “I didn’t want to leave,” he recalled. “I didn’t know where to go.” He spent months in an Italian hospital before immigrating to the US with his wife, also a survivor, in 1951. They settled in Harlem, and he eventually became a real estate developer. He still wears a camp prisoner’s uniform during lectures “so people remember,” Mosberg said.

The father of three and grandfather of six has been back to the camps dozens of times and helped lead educational tours, including last year with Republican and Democratic members of Congress at Auschwitz.

From the Depths has taken 20 members of Congress, including New York’s Carolyn Maloney, on its educational tours.

“They were very shaken and upset learning about the torture, torment and murder,” he said. “They think every congressman should go to see it. She [AOC] doesn’t want to go. Unless you go into that dark place, you can’t understand it.

“Eventually you will see she will lose all the Jewish vote in New York.”​

https://nypost.com/2019/06/29/nobel-prize-in-stupidity-holocaust-survivor-wants-aoc-out-of-congress/

crash5179 and Cohete Rojo like this.
  12. mick fry

mick fry Member

MiddleMan likes this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I don’t get involved in politics at all, never been something that interested me but i did have family die in the holocaust and making fun it it and belittling it like this is incredibly offensive and despicable.

14. Buck Turgidson

Absolutely nobody is belittling the Holocaust.

MiddleMan likes this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Guess you didn’t read the thread title

16. Buck Turgidson

Yes, I did.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

don't know how affected you were by it, if i assume from your comments that you weren't

18. Buck Turgidson

It's just semantics. Would you feel better if we called them gulags? There's wonderful pics from yesterday of our President gladhanding with the despot who runs the largest system of labor/death camps on earth. And yes, I've spent time in Eastern Europe and seen the mass graves and camps first-hand.

"Concentration Camp" is pretty square on, as far as what we're doing on the border.

adoo likes this.
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

semantics, ya sounds about right