1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

That’s what you guys live by, this should be right down your alley.

cml750 likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is that what us guys live by?

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

exhibit A for why you should never talk to the police

https://www.realclearinvestigations...ives_upturned_muellers_targets_speak_out.html

Astrodome and mick fry like this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Wait, you are posting an article that uses the generalization "“angry” anti-Trump D.C. jurors" to try and illustrate its point?

This is part of the problem with society and politics today. People from D.C. who serve on a jury are doing their civic duty just like "ill-informed" Missouri jury members are doing theirs. The whole trying to lump people into a 'other' category is horrible and doesn't provide any validity to whatever point the article was trying to make. It detracts from it... except of course to all of those who are eager to jump on the non-“angry” anti-Trump D.C. juror" team and show how they aren't like those horrible people.

This article is literally attempting to breed division among us. That isn't a good look for an article or journalism in general.

No Worries and B-Bob like this.
  5. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

Michigan Republican Representative Justin Amash explaining his perspective on Mueller conclusion. (The selections in bold print were emboldened by me as these are crucial points.)

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1137094407625302017.html

I initially fell for Attorney General Barr’s March 24 letter of principal conclusions—but then I read Mueller’s report.

Mueller’s report describes acts of obstruction by President Trump, and it clearly says Mueller chose not to decide whether Trump had committed a crime because Mueller was prohibited from actually charging him.

Mueller explains that prudential concerns and an official DoJ opinion prevented him from indicting the president, and then, because it would be unfair to accuse the president of a crime without actually charging him, Mueller declined to decide whether Trump had committed a crime.

Note that my March 24 tweet doesn’t even mention obstruction. That’s because Barr’s letter falsely implies Mueller looked at the evidence and simply could not decide whether Trump should be indicted because of legal and factual issues regarding whether his actions were criminal.

Barr doesn’t even mention that, because of the DoJ opinion, Mueller believed that charging a sitting president with a crime was not an option; Barr only cites the DoJ opinion in a footnote when describing his own analysis, not Mueller’s analysis.

Because it was unclear why Mueller chose not to decide whether to charge the president with a crime, I was unhappy about this line from Mueller, quoted by Barr: “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”

But in context—which Barr fails to provide—Mueller’s declaration makes more sense.

It’s not that Mueller couldn’t make up his mind, chose not to make a decision, and then said Trump wasn’t exonerated; rather, Mueller had decided that it was inappropriate to make a determination as to whether Trump had committed a crime, and he sought to make that fact clearer.

Mueller wrote that it would be improper for him to conclude that Trump should be charged, given that he could not actually charge him, because it would put a criminal accusation over the president’s head, with no opportunity for a formal defense.

The White House’s reaction to Barr’s letter is also telling. Trump had long been harshly critical of Mueller and his investigation, calling him “totally conflicted” and “disgraced and discredited,” and the investigation “illegal” and a “rigged witch hunt.”

When Barr’s letter came out, the White House abruptly changed its tone. Trump said “the Mueller report was great” and that Mueller had acted honorably, and he touted the report as a “total exoneration.” Kellyanne Conway referred to the investigation as “the gold standard.”

But, as we later found out, Mueller’s report is damning for the president. If Barr’s letter had accurately reflected the report, the White House would not have reacted positively.

And with Mueller’s report now out, the White House no longer has anything positive to say about Mueller and his team.

The president and his allies are instead trying to excuse Trump’s efforts to obstruct the entire investigation into Russian election interference by alleging problems with elements of it and claiming, without basis, that they undermine Mueller’s obstruction analysis.

ryan_98 and No Worries like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. NewRoxFan

The Mueller Report came out over a month ago. This republican congressman hasn't read it yet, but has lots of opinions on the report...

quikkag and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Amazes me how easily trump lies... apparently banking on fact most of his supporters won't read the Mueller report...

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow. He actually didn't lie for once. LOL. Props to 45.

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    I'm going to have yet another good hearty laugh when it becomes widely known that Natalia Veselnitskaya was sent to set up the Don Jr meeting at Trump Tower by Fusion GPS as a setup. All actual evidence points to this. Stephanopoulos is once again running interference for the intel agencies... and the entire premise of his question is flawed. Russians didn't go to Trump to give him help. They were sent to him to set him up and entrap him. By our own intel agencies. You'd think that after two years of slinging false Russian accusations and being proven wrong by Mueller himself, that some of you would take a breather! Nope.

GOOD DAY

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good lord. The ******* is utterly shameless. He has no qualms about letting a foreign power interfere with our elections. In fact, he welcomes it!

"But you go and talk honestly to a congressman, they all do it, they always have."
    From a foreign power? Liar!

You think this is OK, @Os Trigonum? Do you think what trump said was right? Is that the sort of thing you want your president to be saying in front of the American people?

For those who can't stand to watch a video of trump saying anything. From The Guardian:

Trump: ‘I think I’d take it’ if foreign power offers dirt on opponents
    Did we really learn nothing from that whole Trump Tower to-do with Russia in 2016? In an interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, the president admitted that he would accept information on a political opponent from a foreign government.

“It’s not an interference, they have information - I think I’d take it,” President Trump said. “If I thought there was something wrong, I’d go maybe to the FBI - if I thought there was something wrong. But when somebody comes up with oppo research, right, they come up with oppo research, ‘oh let’s call the FBI.’ The FBI doesn’t have enough agents to take care of it. When you go and talk, honestly, to congressman, they all do it, they always have, and that’s the way it is. It’s called oppo research.”

Stephanopoulos asked about Donald Trump Jr. and the regretable role he played in the Trump Tower meeting in June 2016. He asked if Trump’s son should have brought the Russians’ offer for “dirt” on Hillary Clinton to the FBI.

“Somebody comes up and says, ‘hey, I have information on your opponent,’ do you call the FBI?” Trump responded.

“I’ll tell you what, I’ve seen a lot of things over my life. I don’t think in my whole life I’ve ever called the FBI. In my whole life. You don’t call the FBI. You throw somebody out of your office, you do whatever you do,” Trump continued. “Oh, give me a break – life doesn’t work that way.”

“The FBI director said that is what should happen,” Stephanopoulos replied. (During congressional testimony last month, FBI director Christopher Wray told lawmakers “the FBI would want to know about” any foreign election meddling).

“The FBI director is wrong, because frankly it doesn’t happen like that in life,” Trump said. “Now maybe it will start happening, maybe today you’d think differently.”

The full interview is set to air on ABC next week.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...08f9f29d32dcb1#block-5d0182918f08f9f29d32dcb1

#9032 Deckard, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  13. NewRoxFan

It is amazing that in such a short time the office of the presidency has been so degraded. He sat there, in the Oval Office, and said the FBI Director was wrong about whether a presidential campaign should contact the FBI if contacted by a foreign government offering dirt on an opponent. Never mind its against the law... this is where trump has led the republican party.

I know his supporters here will ignore or defend this with a casual hand wave... but how can any elected official, or even appointed cabinet member not speak out against this. This is no "he is joking" when he called out to the Russian government to interfere with the 2016 election... he literally is allowing such interference on the go forward.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Trump is wrong or lying when he claims other politicians do it all the time. This is disgraceful.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's beyond disgraceful. I would like to hear from his supporters just how they are going to defend this interview. George Stephanopoulos of ABC, an experienced major network newsman who's been doing interviews like this for decades, didn't "trick" trump, or force him to say that in any way. Incredible. This country is in serious trouble. The man is capable of anything, in my opinion. It's like he's making excuses both for what he did in the past, and for what he's going to do in 2020. That's what it sounds like to me.

17. NewRoxFan

Almost all Americans should think this way. But you have trump supporters, so who knows...

No Worries likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Instead of just saying you don’t agree with what Trump clearly just said (couldn’t be clearer), you just push conspiracy theories on his behalf to divert and distract to a sitting US president saying he’s down to get help getting elected from a hostile foreign power.

You’re not just complicit, you are an active contributor to betraying the country. If you aren’t already a bot, you might as well be one.

Deckard likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I wish we would get something other than predictable responses. These are all paraphrased but it will fall into one of the following categories.

1. Don't you think a lot of politicians do this? They are only making a big deal out of this because it is Trump.
    2. What's wrong with doing that?
    3. Trump says stuff he doesn't really mean all the time.
    4. I get that he did that, but is it really such a big deal? Guess what. Tomorrow the sun will still rise and the United States will still have an amazing economy, Go Trump!
    5. It was all a set up by the deep state and corrupt FBI.

I think their response is possibly worse than Trump's statements and/or actions in the first place. If people actually cared about it and put action behind those feelings, Trump would be gone and politicians wouldn't think that these actions are A-OK.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

**MOVING GOAL POST ALERT**
    getting state help from foreign countries is cool.

called it page 298

Deckard, FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.