1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. biff17

biff17 Member

That's the story you want to portray, you think that everybody hates Biden like you do.

This still does not explain your theory that he will get demolished in Iowa and New Hampshire when all of those liberal candidates will still be in the race.Y

Can you explain that one?

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're probably right that Biden won't get immediately knocked out in Iowa. His competition is spread too thinly. Unless he is totally incompetent or decides to be too honest at the debates (a very real possibility) then he should hold onto enough of the "McDemocrat" vote to stay around another couple of months. This could change depending on how many candidates are culled prior to February.

I maintain that Biden has nowhere to go but down and that he will peel off very, very few voters from the field. As the spotlight gets brighter on him and his record he will melt. After the bloodbath of Super Tuesday, when probably half the field will drop out, Biden (if he's still around) will face much, much stiffer headwind as his more liberal compatriots start to gobble up all of the new free agent voters.

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Here's what history has to teach us about people leading the polls at 17 months out from the general election.

At this point in the 2016 Republican Primaries the following was happening:
    -Donald Trump had not even declared his candidacy
    -Jeb Bush had been leading by an average of 10-12 points since December in a field of 12+ candidates

At this point in the 2012 Republican Primaries the following was happening:
    -Michelle Bachmann, Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, Chris Christie had at one point already led in the polls and fallen off
    -Herman Cain, Rick Perry, and Newt Gingrich would later take their own leads and subsequently lose them

At this point in the 2008 Primaries the following was happening:
    -Clinton had been leading Obama by an average of 15+ points since December (and would increase her lead to 25+ points and hold it for another 8 months)
    -Joe Biden hadn't even entered the race (and wouldn't for another 4 months)
    -Mike Huckabee entered the race this very weekend (and would eventually finish second)
    -Rudy Guiliani had been leading the field of 4 candidates by an average of 10+ points since December (he didn't even make it to the end and finished 5th)
    -John McCain was in 3rd behind Fred Thompson (lol)

At this point in the 2004 Democratic primaries the following was happening:
    -Dick Gephart had led the field by as many as 10 points since December
    -Wesley Clark had yet to enter
    -Howard Dean would go on a month later to take and hold a lead for another 10-11 months

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

That has nothing to do with our discussion, you claimed he was going to get destroyed in Iowa and New Hampshire which I disagreed with.

I am not claiming Biden will will get the nomination without some fierce competition, I just don't think there will be some strong coalescing against him by the far left, I don't think voters are as anti Biden as you are in the Democratic party.

Biden is definitely not as unknown as a you make him out to be.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

1) I think you are sorely mistaken. I just laid out for you why it is far, far too early to be banking on any polling data and you just seemingly ignored it.

2) We'll check back in on this, but after the disaster that was 2016 I cannot believe anyone is thinking that Diet Coke Democrats are anything but meat for the grinder in this primary. You can see it in the data. Biden is significantly more center than any other candidate in this race save for maybe Klobachar. Do the math. 20~ liberals with hardly any policy differences between then, 2~ centrists. When Beto or Inslee drop out of the race, who do you think is going to win their favor? Not Biden, that's who.

2) I never said Biden is unknown. He's the opposite of unknown. His record as an appeasement/compromise candidate is a mile long and it will come back to bite him in the ass hard, just like it has already twice before. The fact that you just said this makes me think we may be having two entirely different conversations.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

So you are just gonna conveniently ignore you saying Biden will get destroyed in the 1st 2 primaries which was the basis of this discussion.

I already said Biden can be overtaken by another candidate not just because of what you said would be th reason of him getting destroyed in Iowa and New Hampshire.

I am not here to argue about Biden being a lock but he has another pool of voters to draw from in the Pete and Harris camps there are moderate voters there as well as the AA vote, I just don't think Biden is on an island and can't pick up any more support.

You also don't factor in that Biden has a lot of AA support which Sanders and Warren don't and it looks like those will be the top 3.

I am willing to see how it plays out you just seem to think Biden has no chance and the numbers refute that.

Who is the Donald Trump of the Democratic party?

I don't see any body catching fire like that but you are right it's early, we will have to see.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

What did I say about Biden being an appeasement/compromise candidate?

How much of an appetite do you think the Democratic party, or the public in general for that matter, has for this kind of nonsense after 8 years of brazenly shameless partisan Republican obstructionism and the Merrick Garland debacle?

Joe Biden is the perfect candidate for Republicans to continue their stranglehold on the legislature and courts. Completely gullible and a master of negotiating against himself. As a conservative you could not ask for a better President to constantly dunk on.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What I really love about 2020 is that I will be voting in the Democratic primary -- and so many other will be, too.

MojoMan likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Clown cars are speeding to the White House?

President telling his aids to lie about it? Where have we heard that before?

Trump campaign’s internal 2020 polling for is ‘devastating’ for him — so he told aides to lie about it: report

As I’ve been reporting, multiple state-level polls and national approval ratings paint a dismal image of Trump’s re-election chances at the moment, especially given the relative strength of the economy. I’ve argued that, while hardly definitive or even predictive at this stage in the race, this data suggests that Trump has much more of an uphill battle to fight on the way to 2020 than conventional wisdom suggests.

And according to a new report from the New York Times, the Trump campaign’s internal polling presents a starkly similar picture.

It’s so bad, in fact, that the president reportedly told his aides to lie about the poll results:

Not explicitly mentioned in the report is the clear fact that at least one aide likely disobeyed these orders by leaking the details to the Times.

Of course, Trump was polling pretty terribly throughout all of 2016 — and yet still pulled of victory by a tiny margin — so nothing is set in stone. But it’s clear Team Trump has reasons to be worried. Separate reports have found that Trump’s son-in-law and top adviser Jared Kushner is also worried about the campaign’s fundraising.

The new report also found that Trump has little interest in his own campaign. Told about the millions spent on online advertising, he was more interested in TV ads, the report said. And while he reportedly wants to oversee the campaign’s music list, he’s uninterested in the campaign budget.

What does he like to focus on when it comes to 2020? Attacking former Vice President Joe Biden.

“He has tried workshopping versions of those critiques as Twitter attacks, referring to Mr. Biden as ‘sleepy’ and ‘swampman,’ and blaming him for the 1994 crime bill that critics say increased mass incarceration,” the report said. “West Wing aides have been discussing another criminal justice reform event as a vehicle to underscore Mr. Biden’s support of the crime bill.”

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

In all likelihood, me too.

What makes that double fun is that the Texas primary is on March 3, 2020, which is Super Tuesday. We are early this time - effectively tied for the fifth primary date in the nation - so our votes will actually count for a change.

I reserve the right to change my mind later, but right now I am torn between voting for Bernie Sanders or Lieawatha.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Why would you be voting in a Democratic primary?

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I am an independent and I reserve the right to record my vote wherever I believe that it will be the most useful.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"Independent". Yea, sure...

[​IMG]

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

NBC announces five moderators for first Democratic debate

The presidential primary face-off, hosted by NBC News, MSNBC and Telemundo, will take place in Miami on June 26-27.NBC announced on Tuesday the five moderators for the first Democratic presidential primary debate, set for later this month.

Savannah Guthrie, Lester Holt, Chuck Todd, Rachel Maddow and José Diaz-Balart will moderate the debate, which will take place at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Miami over two nights on June 26-27.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rachel Maddow lol

Nook likes this.
  20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Rachel Maddow is a hyper-partisan, TDS afflicted, conspiracy theorist who is also a super far left extremist.

No doubt most of the Democrat left audience will be delighted to have someone that they feel such a close identification with on these points. She is one of their own.