1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa out 4-6 weeks with cracked rib

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, May 29, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

No offense, but CC is not hiring Johnny Jakelegs Jackoff Parlor. I would imagine his guy is quite legitimate. Probably moreso.

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My story is similar in a way...playing soccer in SE Austin against a team from Bastrop. Forward's name was literally Billy Bob and he was the size of a bull. I tried to announce my presence with authority...only to have him knock me over on to my side and them him on top of me. Never confirmed a break but that s*** hurt bad for weeks.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seems excessively unnecessary... but I guess they've gotten enough heat over this that they had to do something.

5. SuraGotMadHops

Look at how she's looking at him, like "say one wrong word and I'll give you another crack!"

6. SemisolidSnake

Berkman. Knee. Flag Football. See here.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What a monumentally stupid way to respond. At most, his fiancé should have sent out a statement or tweet responding to accusations of domestic violence. But as a rule, it’s never ever ever good when a player’s significant other is getting attention.

And while Im ranting, the proposal after the WS was also monumentally stupid. Not only was taking something that should have been private and making it a giant spectacle bad, he did something that distracted from the team at a singular moment that should have been more about the team than any other moment in his life.

Over the years it’s become pretty obvious to me that Correa views himself as a transcendent athlete. That is never a good idea, but it’s especially bad to have that perception before you’ve truly established yourself as a superstar in your sport. He seems to spend a lot of energy trying to manage his Q score. He comes across as insincere, not only in this video but in most of the interviews and off the field appearances I’ve seen.

Correa might be a great guy. But based on what I’ve seen, I do not expect him to be a star player for very long, and I certainly don’t expect him to reach the potential his physical gifts portray.

8. SemisolidSnake

They're still not married? Carlos, dude, it's been exactly 566 days since you proposed, not counting today.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

If there was a love button on here, I would have clicked it. You’re on point here, snake. As sad as it is, this is becoming more and more the reality of Carlos Correa. He helped bring Houston a championship, which will always be remembered in this city. But the whispers questioning his desire to be great and his dedication to baseball have gotten louder and louder.

10. Buck Turgidson

Jeff Kent was either "washing his monster truck" and fell off of it, or doing wheelies on his motorcycle. There are conflicting reports. The world may never know.

Alou was of course on the "treadmill", sure. That's why I mentioned those.

raining threes and whiskeyred like this.
  11. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Don’t forget the anal fissure.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

holy crap. what an obvious lie. she heard his rib fracture and the massage therapist gasp from upstairs? pretty close to impossible, and he didn't even mention that in his telling of the story. idiots.

13. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Having performed CPR numerous times, you never hear the ribs shatter

astros123, CK Johnson and cardpire like this.
  14. Marteen

Marteen Member

Honestly, Correa should get a pass for the proposal just for his homers in Game 2 and 5 alone. Tbh, I didn’t have an issue with the timing, people propose at stadiums all the time and everyone was happy as hell after winning it all. The fact that they’re still not married yet is..interesting. All I care about now is that he comes back healthy and ready to go, because we need him.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

classic example of adding too many details to attempt to make a lie sound more truthful. she didn't even have to say anything.

i'm no detective, but add in the way she's nodding her head in agreement as he's telling the story. why would she do that? she wasn't there when it happened to verify that he asked the massage therapist what happened, nor is she him to know that he immediately felt like something was wrong. she's likely nodding because he's correctly retelling the story they rehearsed.

whatever. should still win the world series.

#195 cardpire, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

At the time I loved it. I took as here is this total badass ballplayer using the highest point of his professional life to show this girl that she is his #1 priority. That’s admirable. But as time passed and as I put it into context with his other actions, I liked it less and less. And really, in this day and age I think it’s appropriate to question the sincerity of what someone is doing anytime they draw attention to themselves.

Luhnow/Crane/Hinch need to advise Correa AND HIS GIRL to stop talking publicly about this incident and lay low for the foreseeable future, at least until Correa is back healthy and productive. Let the publicity come to you; seeking it out always ends poorly.

#196 Snake Diggit, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It's interesting to me that all the places he could raise his Q-rating (NYC, Boston, LAD, LAA) are stocking to lock in their SS options. NYC seems set with Gleyber for the time being. Xander Bogarts just got an extension in Boston. Corey Seager is a great SS in LA.

There's not a ton of higher visibility options for him even though he makes it pretty clear he's probably leaving.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Simmons will be a free agent before Correa, so Correa could go to the Angels and pair up with Trout if he wanted to. Not that I expect that. I expect him to try to get to NY; if not with the Yankees then with the Mets. Otherwise he will go wherever he can make the most money.

19. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, all good points. I watched the first couple minutes where he explains how it happened, and I'm like okay, whatever. A little too much "I'm doing this for the team and you" but whatever. "Then his fiancee starts talking. Wait, is there more to be said? Ohhhh, addressing the negativity of the internet. Guys, just ignore it. Then I skip forward and I hear the words "domestic violence" in there. No, no, no, this video is already 4 minutes too long.

Ok, first off, I want to point something out about the domestic violence mention, and that is that the Astros have actually made domestic violence one of the core pillars of their Astros Foundation charity. And, yes, they did this after they got Osuna. They had a big ole charity fundraising gala for it recently. I think it's a brilliant way of tackling that whole issue. And since it is an Astros focus, it might make more sense for an Astro to bring it up where it may not make sense for someone on another team. That's just putting that out there for additional context which may still be irrelevant.

The proposal at the WS was I presume planned. It doesn't bother me too much; maybe there was youthful exuberance in the moment. I dunno. I was actually surprised how quickly it faded into the background of the ongoing celebrations. And that was good.

The thing that mystified me most about Correa was before last season when he said "I don't want to retire" without being MVP. That's such a self-focused statement, it just blew my mind. Like he just expected to get it someday. Fits right in with your point about him viewing himself as a transcendent athlete. I mean, disregarding all the other excellent players in the majors, of just the four guys in our HEB crew, he's easily the farthest away from winning an MVP. This isn't Harden having a transcendent season and then saying afterwards, "Personally, I thought I deserved the award." This is before Correa's established himself as a superstar MVP candidate as you said. That statement just stuck awkwardly with me all of last year. Bregman's got confidence and swagger and the ability to back it up, and you'd NEVER hear him say something like that. In fact Bregs typically downplays what he's done in favor of talking about what he didn't do right and wants to do better. That's a guy with an attitude that probably will win an MVP someday.

20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This is something that could be a little outdated, but a couple of years ago I had lunch with a couple guys who worked in the Astros marketing department. This was the beginning of the 2017 season in the middle of our great start. Through some connections I was able to have lunch with them to talk about how to get into that industry and what advice they would have for someone who recently graduated college. I eventually asked them about the players on that years team (I specifically remember talking about Springer, Correa and Beltran). They all have interacted with the players (not to a great degree but enough to have a good sense of what these guys are like in the clubhouse) They said that Springer is exactly what you think he’d be... the class clown/life of the party/heartbeat of the team. They said Beltran commanded the attention of everybody in the clubhouse because of how well-respected he was. Then they got to Correa. They both acknowledged that he’s an extremely talented player and seems like a good guy. However, they both said that (and this is verbatim) that you can tell he thinks he’s “God’s gift to baseball”. That struck me at the time because it was way before any of the “drama” that’s surrounded him the last season or so. But it definitely makes more sense now. I think he’s a great player but I really don’t think he’s gonna re-sign here and I honestly don’t think we’ll make a huge effort to keep him (especially if there are teams willing to give him a mega deal. Anyways, that’s my two cents about Correa.