1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about this year's draft class?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about this draft now?

1. F - Worst Draft Ever

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. D - Can any of these guys even play?

21 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. C - Will look great in a couple years but we needed starters now

32 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. C+ - Not super excited but in Gaine we trust I guess

34 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. B - Competition at all key positions, no complaints

46 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. B+ - Great job by the Texans, filled up holes with quality players

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. A - In Gaine we trust...again

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. A+ - 7 pro bowlers got drafted today

6 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Not a fan of the Houston Texans “brain trust”. However on thing to keep in mind is that BOB is one of the most disliked NFL coaches in recent history. A lot of media people that follow the NFL hate him. A lot of ex-NFL people hate him. I have heard several refer to his incredible arrogance.

My point is to take that into consideration when you see articles written about the Texans. Hub Arkush has pointed out it is hard to be objective when it comes to BOB. So there are some biases at play.

raining threes likes this.
  2. raining threes

Wonder what they think about Belichick?

Nook likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Believe it or not I have heard more “slips” or comments from long term NFL media guys and scouts/NFL employees about BOB than anyone else. The next closest is Sean Payton. Some really like him but a lot of folks say he isn’t a good person. Just a guess but I think BB isn’t quite as hated because he is fair in his treatment of people (other words no favorites) and is predictable. BB also doesn’t throw people under the bus.

Hub Arkush has talked about the paranoia around the Pats and BB but has mostly said they aren’t nasty just not going to be pleasant either.

4. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Nobody has said it was for the 3rd rounder. It will be two firsts by the time you are finished lying.

#144 cjvnyc, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

FWIW, McClain said the Ravens called asking for a 3rd.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

If it is the same time I heard it on the radio, someone asked him again (i think Mike Meltzer) and he never said it for sure. It was like "of course they did, they'd be dumb if they didnt." I think he was making the same assumption we are. Someone should ask him again on one of his little chats. See if he got the information from the Texans or the Ravens or it is just an assumption

7. Nook

Nook Member

A few posters bend over backwards to think of every possibility to defend the Texans... every possible excuse, even to the point of creating speculation and “facts” to have some basis.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This isn't - nor has it ever been - about the Texans. It's about an army of Couch GMs, here & elsewhere, who over-inflate their limited knowledge about a very complicated process. I have no issue with their opinions; my issue is that watching YouTube videos doesn't make you an expert. And there are *literally* dozens of post-draft threads over the past 20 years that definitively prove this over and over and over....

They don't know how to scout; they don't have the resources to scout; and they don't have any insider access to the team. But they position themselves as having all three, and *that* is what I object to.

You obviously have an ax to grind with the team. You'd be better served doing it somewhere else, to be honest - it's not something that terribly interests me.

No Worries likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

Per McClain, that was deal offered. He may be lying, or wrong - but that was reportedly the ask. And it makes sense, given the Ravens a0 knew the Texans' need; b) would be inclined to stick it to a conference rival.

10. Hey Now!

Geez, man - what is it with you and Hub Arkush?..... It's kind of weird. He's a total nobody you've elevated to ultimate insider/gospel.

11. Nook

Nook Member

He isn't a "nobody" within the NFL community, he is very well known and has a lot of connections.

Having said that, I am biased as I am a friend of his.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...jaff&cjevent=db385eb375c611e9818400180a1c0e13

13. raining threes

I dont have anything but watching football for almost 50 yrs to base my judgements on and I like watching college football better than pro football. I know talent when I see it. That doesn't make me a scout but I know what I'm looking at when I look at OL. I watched Dillard play many games over the last 2 yrs and really like him and think he's going to be a really good LT. The athleticism that I saw watching him play showed up at the combine. He does need to improve is run blocking but isn't as bad as some on here make it out to be. He should really improve in this area by year two.

I have no idea how good Howard will be but have very little faith that Devlin is the guy to bring out the best in a project like Howard.

BTW, I'm terrible at projecting CB/S.

I've got no axes to grind, but if you like a passive mediocre franchise then the Texans fit the bill to a tee. Until they change this and I doubt they do anytime soon then you can expect more of the same old same old. Instead of being upset by the way the Texans do business I've learned over the years to just laugh at an org that could care less about winning if that means spending money to bring in the best players or occasionally taking a chance on a talented but troubled player. Like they carry some kind of moral high ground.

red5rocket, coachbadlee and cjvnyc like this.
  14. Hey Now!

Right; no ax to grind whatsoever.........

The Texans won 11 games last year. You can twist yourself into whatever odd-shaped pretzel you need to to denigrate that - have fun! - but that is not mediocre, nor is it the same old same old. They've posted double-digit win totals in just three seasons and last year was the first since 2012. And you (probably) spent the entire season griping about it rather than, you know, enjoying it.

This is such a remarkably bad take. The Texans *have* spent money; you can argue they haven't spent money *wisely* (which would be true) - but they've absolutely, positively spent money. You could not be more wrong. That is such a non-starter.

As for this ridiculous notion that the team needs some "talented but troubled player"s to make it better - bullshit. That means literally nothing; it's something fans who have no idea what they're talking about can talk about. Right up there with needing a fiery coach - remember that nugget-of-nothingness dung the Kubiak era?

15. raining threes

I think BOB did a great job last yr considering how bad the OL was and was very happy with last season. I wasn't delusional enough to think they were contenders for a championship.

2nd most cap space in the league would disagree with this part of your post.

Point is until they learn to take a few chances on guys, they will remain the same. Look at what the Rams/Eagles have done the last 2 seasons as a template.

But hey you like a team of choir boys and the Texans are that, so I can see why you see things the way you do. The championship contenders take chances, even the Pats took a chance on Gordon last yr. It didn't work out but the took a chance. The Rams took a chance on Talib/Peters/Fowler/Suh and made the SB.

You think that a McNair owned team will ever take chances on guys like this? I dont and until the do they aren't going to be contenders. The NFL is changing and you have to add guys in FA in addition to the draft and take chances on guys like the Pats/Eagles/Rams do if you want to win a championship. Why? Because they are taking chances on these guys and if you dont try to keep up with them you will get left behind.

Nook likes this.
  16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I agree with this. A lot of people were hoping for a playoff berth before the season started.

I remember expecting us to lose in the first round if we got into the playoffs because of the o line issues.

The ceiling for this upcoming team will be higher imo.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think this team will be better than last year's but may not win eleven because of the schedule. Having fuller, countee, donte, and possibly a plus tight end is exciting. I also think the offensive line will be improved. Watson another year of experience. I think our cornerback and safety adds are better than the subtraction.

18. Hey Now!

The Texans throwing money at a problem doesn't solve the problem. They've tried that repeatedly and the results have not been good. I understand there were several free agents that might've been overall upgrades. But how much are you willing to pay to get from sub-mediocre to... mediocre? Trent Brown doesn't make this offensive line great; likely not even good. But he wants to be paid like he would - and that's a bad recipe. Fans need to at least acknowledge this.

That team of choir boys just won 11 games. Meanwhile, very good teams - like the Steelers & Chiefs - are imploding because of poor character and behavior. Sure, point out a few exceptions - but there's no corollary between police record and success. None. And the gains - if there are *any* - are almost ALWAYS short-term and never long-term. The bad surfaces eventually and it can tear teams apart.

So... you're advocating they do something.... just for the sake of doing it? Who does that benefit? How does taking a chance on a player that ultimately fails help make them a contender? Don't side-step this, either: show us. How many more games do the Texans win if they had traded for Josh Gordon. I mean... do you recognize the emptiness of this?...

I'm sorry, man... But that is just a blob of nonsense. You're arguing taking chances of guys is some key to NFL success......

hiephopp likes this.
  19. Nimo

Nimo Member

I listened to McClain's chat today and he said teams don't disclose trade offers unless they go through. So he doesn't really know.

20. raining threes

You're a f'n hoot,

I'm not advocating they do something for the sake of ding something. I'm advocating that they do what contenders do, or else they will never win a championship.

I stand by my post.