1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. smp

smp Member

I like your plan! Sounds like a long shot though. I certainly wouldn’t bet on it.

That said, Morey found a way to acquire Harden, CP3, and Dwight. Those were all big wins at the time. Maybe we can make something else big happen.

2. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

i dont know man.. Tilman seems pretty upset.. Loosing without durant at home (its unacceptable.) if you cant beat them in that situation you will never beat them.. Time to change course. he had to atleast win game 6 ..

everyday eddie and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. mockster

mockster Member

Rockets will sign jimmy butler, he wasn't against being here at all while on timberwolves and it was one of his preferred destinations. He’s also cool with harden and personality wise fits in with harden and Paul’s serious dedication to winning.

This will be a thing like 80%

4. s3ts

s3ts Member

the other thing no one is talking about is the roster moves the other teams can/will make.

i just google JB's name and one of the first things on the search results is both LA teams and Nets will chase JB.

i really don't think we have so many assets to offer in S&T compared to those other teams.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not Nurse's fault the bench sucks...have you seen what numbers Linsanity is pulling out?

Yeah, the mental preparation is so bad they only won against a much more talented team. Integration of Gasol is so bad he only locked down Joel Embiid and forced him to score and rebound well below his average. I guess the development of Pascal Siakam is just a fluke too, nothing to do with Nurse. Ibaka putting up 17 and 8? Nothing to do with Nurse either. Nurse's rotation is so bad because he didnt play the scrubs enough, clearly if he gave Linsanity some mins it would have been enough to lose them the game just like how Dumbtoni kept playing Capela when Nene was tearing it up.

Just because you don't see that Nurse has done a good job doesnt mean other people are as blind as you.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

the ONLY chance of getting him is an opt in and trade. If he goes to LAC/LAL/NYK/BKN he is going into salary. If he tells PHILLY. I'M LEAVING. You can trade me to Houston or I will walk to _____. I don't see it happening BUT the good news is that if it's going to happen the date he has to opt in is June 29. If we see him opt in between now and then, he's most likely coming our way.

I think the most realistic outcome of this offseason IF we make a big trade is that we trade for a guy that Morey believes CAN be a star but isn't yet. Capela and Gordon are our trade chips. They are very good players who have value.

s3ts likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Those teams will try to sign Butler as a free agent cause they have the cap space, they won't trade **** to Philly, and a couple of them play in the same conference as the Sixers so, those are all things that give us some leverage here.

- Butler would get less money by signing as a free agent, would get more in the long run by getting traded here
    - Sixers would rather see him go West and get something back instead of watching him join a rival for free

mikol13, topfive and s3ts like this.
  8. s3ts

s3ts Member

Sans EC teams, LAC, LAL have much more to offer in assets (especially because they're young) than HOU, unfortunately. That gives JB the best of all worlds.

That makes our chances a lot slimmer.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

there is no chance that LAC or LAL are giving up assets for JB, who can be an UFA. Both have max slots. If they use assets it's for Anthony Davis or Bradley Beal.

topfive and Vivi like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Again, L.A. teams have cap space to sign him as a free agent, they won't trade any asset to Philly.

You have to consider teams like Miami or Boston eventually, teams that just like us have no cap space to sign him and are forced to make it happen via trade.

11. s3ts

s3ts Member

i don't see why LAC/LAL can't spend assets to get JB in an S&T. they can totally strike out in the deal for AD.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

They have salary. They don't get any benefits from doing a S&T.

Jimmy chooses where he goes 1000%. If we see him opt in, he wants to join the Rockets.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

Are you kidding me? Look at what Steve Kerr did. He actually PRE-ADJUSTED before the series by starting the Hamptons 5, and what did we do? We never changed the starting lineup once even though it was clear as day that Capela should've been removed.

And look what Kerr did in Game 6, throwing his entire bench out there. What about MDA? Even though we know that role players (especially young ones) play better at home, we didn't play House or Clark a single minute, and Faried also did not play at all strangely.

The primary fireable offense to me is the playing time he gave to Capela and Austin Rivers. All the plus/minus and net rating data clearly supported playing Rivers more minutes over Capela. MDA actually to his credit did that in Game 4, which not surprisingly was our best performance of the series (if you ignore the 4th quarter meltdown). But just when you thought he figured something out, he goes back to playing Capela a ridiculous 31 minutes in Game 6 (finished with a -12) and only gave 18 minutes to Rivers, who once again finished with the highest +/- on the team with a +8.

And then there's giving a full quarter's worth of minutes to Gerald Green. Enough said there. How does Rivers only get 6 more minutes than him?

As heavily analytical as the Rockets are, it doesn't seem like D'Antoni and his staff are embracing them as much as they should. He might as well write his resignation letter by choosing to ignore them.

Morey's axe needs to come down ASAP and the coaching search needs to start now.

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

How exactly does this work though? Don't we only have the MLE? How can we get him the max? Wouldn't we have to dump Capela and Gordon and maybe others?

15. Zergling

Zergling Member

Game 6 might have been the worst coached game I've ever seen by a Rockets coach since I've watched the team in the mid-90s.

Playing the wrong players and giving them too many minutes, playing the right players but not enough minutes, completely ignoring your superior depth by refusing to play House, Clark, Nene, and Faried.

Depth was one of our strengths over the Warriors this year but we had the absolute worst coach to take advantage of it. HE. MUST. GO.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is a theory that he will force an "opt-in and trade" scenario like CP3 did and like people were sure Lebron would do.

I'm skeptical but it's at least plausible.

17. cyberx

cyberx Member

18. cyberx

cyberx Member

Anyone here like Messina?

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Is Brett Brown + Jimmy Butler a possibility?

he is who i wanted as a hire in 2017 but I think MDA has done a pretty good job even with his faults.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

ah shieeet is this a CYBERBOMB?!?

I do like Messina and he's been patiently awaiting his chance to coach an NBA team.

LorneMalvo likes this.