1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Forrest Whitley got rocked today.

Michael Wielansky was promoted to QC from EST. OF Marty Costes was put on the IL. Wielansky is the last of the 2018 draftees that was waiting for a spot to open up. There are still a handful or 2 of draftees left in Florida but they are all either high school draftees who project to play another season in short season ball, guys who will likely be released after the draft, or injured pitchers still rehabbing.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Any sense as to what's going wrong for Whitley? It seems to be getting progressively worse instead of him just needing to settle in at AAA.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Without seeing him pitch (i.e. not too reliable), control is likely the problem. He's still getting Ks which suggest his stuff is still moving. BBs and HRs are through the roof.

#763 Joe Joe, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Total guess but I think it’s some combo of bad luck, juiced balls, and not having consistent pitching schedule. I think he’ll be fine.

5. leroy

My one regret moving away from Round Rock...not being 10 min from the Dell Diamond.

I've been wondering if Peacock is maybe on a short-ish leash in regards to remaining in the rotation. Couple more sub-par starts in May could put him back in the pen with James being demoted. If Whitley can get it together quickly, maybe he's here in June. Or, maybe they give Brady Rodgers a shot, who has been pitching well. Even more likely, I'm wrong and no moves are coming.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think Rodgers is pitching that well. 6.25k/9 in AAA doesn’t bode well for success in the majors. He has a low era but otherwise his numbers are not good.

If Houston needed to replace Peacock in the rotation I’d say just flip him with Framber. If they had to call somebody up from the minors I’d say it should be Corbin Martin, Rogelio Armenteros, or Ryan Hartman.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised Astros even had to announce that Alvarez was Astros player of the month.

8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

After the month he just had, they should have just announced he’s the player of the year.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He hit another HR today. He’s going to start getting into some pretty rare territory for 22 year olds in AAA.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Don'r forget, he sat out over a full year with all the issues with Cuba.

Alvarez now has 13 homers in 30 games..... 38 RBI.... 1.401 OPS..... 21 strikeouts and 19 walks.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I didn’t realize Alvarez is a 1st basemen too. Why in the hell are they waiting?

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He has played 11 games total at first base in 2018 and 2019

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

So Chas McCormick made this catch in Corpus Christi's game with Tulsa today.

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. AstrosRockets1818

So is there an estimated date for Super 2 deadline? Like what estimated date could we bring up Alvarez but him not qualify ?

16. bobrek

Pretty sure the main issue is they will most likely lose a player if they bring him up. White, Kemp and Marisnick are all out of options and I can’t imagine that any of them would clear waivers.

No Worries likes this.
  17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More Ks than walks... Bregman scoffs in his general direction.

A 1.401 OPS is ridiculous... when you realize what it takes to produce a 1.401 OPS, it's even more impressive. .500 OBP and a .900 SLG.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  18. leroy

If this continues through May, they're just going to have to cut their losses with one of them...unless they can find a trade partner. I'd vote White off the island, personally. Bring Alvarez up as full time DH and give Yuli and Brantley the occasional day off in the field. If they can get White for a bag of chips (name brand, of course), move him.

#778 leroy, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    vonwafer234 and Amshirvani like this.
  19. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

This issue won’t go away. Are they just hoping one of them continues to suck enough (Kemp) to justify it or a trade happens soon? Leaving a guy in AAA with his numbers with our glaring holes in DH/1B seems criminal

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. bobrek

Yep..the issue won’t go away, but the Astros are in the fortunate position where they can be patient. May 6 is too early to lose one of those three without compensation.

Nook likes this.