1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

But he did just hit a two-run homer in the second game.

Marteen, No Worries and crose like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Coach must have chewed him out between games.

3. Screaming Fist

That is some kind of hot streak Alvarez is riding. Holy ****.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

How close are we to seeing him on the big club? I now it will be difficult because White and Kemp are out of options. Timing may just not be right, but he also may be forcing a shot with his play.

5. Buck Turgidson

RR cumulatively ahead 21-6 after 9 innings of play today.

Marteen likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t see any way they call him up before June 1 unless there’s a significant injury. I’m still betting they wait until he has >200 PA, and if he’s still mashing like this they will make a spot by dfa’ing/trading Kemp or White (or maybe even optioning Diaz if White is hitting well).

Marteen likes this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Definitely not expecting him to be called up before June 1. Just wondering what thoughts were on a possible call up and role.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If he’s still destroying like this and everybody is healthy come June 1, my prediction would be he is called up to replace White or Kemp on the 25 man roster, and is played in LF or at DH depending on the park and if another regular needs a half day. But when he gets called up he will be in the lineup every day.

Nook likes this.
  9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Regarding Beer and Nova, why are you saying “so far it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen”?

10. Buck Turgidson

All minor league systems are somewhat cyclical. Over time nobody ever has a steady stream of equally good to very good prospects

Nook and Htown Stros like this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nova isn’t making a jump into Top 100 territory without being in full season ball (he’s still in EST), and Beer isn’t making that jump without doing in AA what Yordan Alvarez is currently doing in AAA (he’s hitting fairly well in High A but not dominant).

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

That’s fair, not that worried about them being ranked but just wanted to make sure Nova didn’t have an injury or something I was unaware of since I thought he hadn’t even started playing yet.

13. Buck Turgidson

For fun, you can look up a player on baseball reference, click on their minor league tab, and they'll tell you where they were ranked, if at all, in the top 100 of BA, BP and MLB (for years where those rankings existed). iirc the baseball cube does the same, and they have historical team top 10's as well.

For example: Michael Brantley was never a top 100 prospect. Nor was Altuve or McHugh or Pressly or....

Marteen likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the other end of spectrum, I'm pretty sure there are teams that have a steady stream of crap with few good to very good prospects for decades at a time. That said, more teams are trying to play catchup by stealing away front office talent.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Brandon Bielak @ Northwest Arkansas: 5 IP, 4 H, ER, 2 BB, 4 K
    J.B. Bukauskas: 4 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K

Marteen likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Hartman pitched well with a big lead, didn't get in trouble until the 5th.

Still curious why a guy like Fisher wouldn't tempt someone desperate for an OF...like San Fran?

vonwafer234 and Marteen like this.
  17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

And as much as I love having Luhnow as our GM

The success rate of his prospects, the ones we hold on to especially, hasn't been great. Obviously Correa (#1 overall) and McCullers ($$$) from 2012 were/are great. B Phillips and Rio are in the bigs with other teams, and I think Rodgers is the only real prospect left in our system from that one.

2013 Appel, Thurman, Emanuel...uggg...Tony Kemp is hanging on, and I love Kemp, but if he is the best thing from a class it wasn't good

2014 No need to argue Aiken again, but Fisher, AJ Reed who wasn't to be traded even for Sale, JD Davis...none worked out (well Fisher scored a pretty big run but you know what I mean)...This class probably hangs on what Josh James becomes

2015 Bregman is a STUD...Tucker is a ???, Daz was highly regarded but . . . still have Stubbs and Straw to see

Rest of his drafts are too recent to judge...Whitley, JBB, Martin, Beer and others will determine success

But out of 7 draft classes we have developed Bregman, Correa, (McCullers), Kemp and James to contribute to the current squad

Again, not attacking Luhnow, wouldn't trade him for any other GM in the game...but anyone counting on Tucker, Whitley, Alvarez, Martin needs to truly understand how low the success rate is, even for highly rated prospects, in one of the most respected systems in the game

18. Buck Turgidson

If you can get 3-5 MLB functional players out of a draft, one of those being a 10-year starter, you are doing amazing work.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Luhnow's drafting skills seem fairly average. Plenty of other teams had long runs of drafting in the top 10 with only 1 or 2 stars out of the bunch. In terms of baseball GM's drafting in the first round, I can't think of one who consistently hits one their first round picks over multiple years.

Where his regime has stood out is development. They've taken a lot of unheralded draftees and international signees and made them into bonafide prospects and major leaguers. Tyler White is a huge success story. Tony Kemp is a success story. Jordan Jankowski is a success story. That's getting value out of pretty much nothing.

20. Buck Turgidson

Jordan Jankowski?

vonwafer234 likes this.