1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Fish36floor

Fish36floor Member

It's happening.

Taxpayer MLE.

Corrosion, BigMaloe, amaru and 2 others like this.
  2. Bids9

Bids9 Member

I assume it means we offer the max, offer Philly a S&T with Gordon and other pieces. If hes leaving anyways its in Phillys best interest to get something useful. Trade him out of the East.

Key here is getting Butler to want us.

Im all in. Lets do it

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Up things seems like are heating really

mikol13 and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I dont understand how this can happen given the rockets cap situation. Butler is an unrestricted free agent, no?

Calling Bima!

Corrosion likes this.
  5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

6. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Yes it has happened many times in the past ... dirk did it before and it allowed the mavs to sign /keep players

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Is this going to be the ole "Jimmy, opt into the last year of your deal so we can for Philly to trade you to Houston for expirings (Gordon and Nene) and picks. After next season, we'll max you out" scenario?

Because that's the only realistic shot of getting Butler. Gordon would be a cheaper replacement for Redick and they sure could use some picks to restock their cupboard.

But we've been down this lonely road before....

luckyman76 and joshuaao like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Forget about the luxury tax savings moves....

NEXT YEAR... that's the year... Jimmy Buckets might come!!!

How much did they slip you to post this?

Aruba77, Kim and ROXTXIA like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have no idea how this could work, but I wouldn't mind, of course.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

“A contract for four or more seasons can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, extension, or previous renegotiation (if the previous negotiation increased any season's salary by more than 4.5%). Contracts for fewer than four seasons cannot be renegotiated. A contract cannot be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30 of any year.

Only teams under the cap can renegotiate a contract, and the salary in the then-current season can be increased only to the extent that the team has room under the cap (and cannot increase the player's salary beyond the maximum salary). A renegotiation can only be used to provide a salary increase -- players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create more cap room for the team.”

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

On paper...Paul, Harden, Butler, and Capela is a killer Big 4.

Butler's chemistry issues in every location he's been to make me dubious that it would work out, though.

12. Mattician

Mattician Member

Are the Rockets too optimistic?

They've been confident many times that something would happen, only for it to fall apart and not happen.

Thanks for the info though, cyber. Would be excited to have Butler on the Rockets.

13. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Thanks Cyber.

Not surprised as the JB situation fits terribly well into DM's strategy book. JB's stock is taking a big hit now (chemistry issue with the sixers, 7th in usage rate, per possession the 4th option etc etc); FA market stuffed with big fish this summer. Perfect market condition to snatch JB at a discount.

ReturnOfTheMac likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Gordon, Tucker, Nene + 1st's 1st in an S&T

If not, it would have to involve Clint to a 3rd team.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If Butler is going to get the max, we are talking about $35M starting contract (correct my numbers if they are wrong). EG only makes $14M. So who else?

macho GRANDE and steddinotayto like this.
  16. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Thanks for the info !! I remember dirk doing it before that’s why I thought about it !

17. riko

riko Member

That’s where morey will need to get creative.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

So Harden, Paul, Butler......running with Capela and Manimal. Worriers, beware. :cool:

But isn't Tostada worried about the luxury tax?

whiskeyred likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nice. I always saw it as a possibility he could leave since Embiid is very territorial about shots. Still think it's a long shot given they are going to offer him the max.

Also, I'm pretty sure we'd have to dump Capela in the process. Salaries become unmanageable if he gets the max. Paul, Harden, Capela and Butler alone would be around $125m. Which leaves an optimistic $20m to fill 11 roster spots. Do-able if Tucker and Gordon are the pieces shipped out (which, of course I would do).

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

him being a target makes sense of course but really difficult to see it happening. butler still wants his own team while also getting max imo. while it's respectable, he believes hes an alpha entirely too much when he isn't really in that true elite category

Entropy likes this.