1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At the crossroads, it's time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Feb 6, 2019.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So has Capela been traded yet? Will there be a newsletter?

cbass, PigMiller, saleem and 2 others like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No Thon Maker to Houston is making holic angry and frustrated.

roslolian likes this.
  3. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

And you were so sure of all of this too.

Wait, wait, wait...MAYBE by "we are going to" you really meant "we should"...yea?

#103 PigMiller, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

The way OP posts feels like he wants us think he’s an “insider”. All evidence points to the contrary, however.

I wonder what (or who) Clint Capela has done to deserve such disdain from this man?

At this point I’m inclined to believe a woman was involved :cool:

Reeko, roslolian, Swiss Roll and 2 others like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

roslolian likes this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Before everyone bashes Holic too hard.
    1. We did go under the tax. (according to holic best way to do it was we needed to trade Capela!!!)
    2. We did use a pick to get rid of Knight (he predicted it, but still rather us trade capela)

Other than that his hatred of Capela made his post pretty much wrong!!!!

Morey's magic too great for Holic to wrap his mind around, but it's okay in the end Capela is still here and we got under the tax threshold.

Honestly if he didn't type that rando nonsense on the justification of getting rid of Capela, the post wouldn't have been that bad.

Should have said something like, I rather we trade Capela for assets and reload in draft over giving up assets to get rid of knight, since this year warriors too strong (idk). (i'm against trading capela).

Not that rando bs about the potential of Capela hurting himself, so we gotta get rid of him.

#106 DatRocketFan, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    roslolian and BigShasta like this.
  7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes, he was 0% correct.

8. basketballholic

We failed. It's just that simple.

This is a wasted season. Another wasted season of Hardens prime. We don't have enough. And we're taking huge risk carrying Capela on a 5-year deal.

Morey should have moved CC when he had the chance for reasonable assets. He keeps trying to get peak value that's simply not there. Now we're a Capela knee injury away from being screwed for the duration of the Harden/Paul era. We should have moved CC and Ego out today and moved to the next phase of competing for a championship . Even if we didn't get a superstar back.

Our 2016 playoff run, plus the Ryan Anderson contract, plus today may doom us to also-ran status until Harden is gone. This was not a good day.

One down, 3 to go.

PS: I do not hate CC. What I hate is coming up short year after year. And that's what we're doing. Morey had plenty of opportunity today. He passed. Because we're going to chase bigger fish after the season.

Maybe it'll pan out. Maybe Paul George and Russ split the sheets, and the Thunder decide to clear out the luxury tax. Maybe Tatum goes down and Boston's offer for AD becomes mediocre and we can jump in. Maybe Beal forces his way out. Maybe LeBron sours on LA.

What I know is we failed today. We whiffed. We're not as good as last year. And we have virtually no chance, short of some combination of Curry or KD or Giannis or Kawhi going down with injury, to win a championship this season.

We failed.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why do you do this to yourself man? lmfao

cbass, Richie_Rich, roslolian and 6 others like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

This preoccupation with Capela's possible future knee injury is just bizarre.

We're also:
    • a Harden knee injury away from being screwed for the duration of the Harden/Paul era
    • a Paul knee injury away from being screwed for the duration of the Harden/Paul era

cbass, Richie_Rich, saleem and 6 others like this.
  11. basketballholic

It is not a preoccupation. It's a significant risk because we have two guys making 75 million next season. If one of them go down we are screwed. And CC won't be worth any more in trade them he is now. But he could be worth a lot less potentially.

Especially after we go out in the first or second round this year and he is further exposed.

Capela is a risky, decaying asset in today's game. The Bucks have just blown past us like we standing still with their shooting 5. You have to play 5 out and pick and pop today to win a championship. We're delaying the inevitable and taking huge risk in the process.

In our system, we can take mediocre players and make them look a lot better than they are. Green, House, Clark, PJ, Faried, Rivers, and, yes, Capela are prime examples. They all look better playing in our system. We could've done that with pieces we would've gotten for CC plus had other draft assets better than what we traded, plus another youngster. All on value deals!

As it is now, we don't have the right pieces, we're not nearly deep enough, and we're barely below the tax, maybe not at all when everything is said and done. And we're taking huge risk.

We should've dealt CC today.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

There's yet another prediction for us to come back to in a few months.

Gotta hand it to ya, Holic, you're mighty bold for someone who is always so mind-numbingly wrong.

Your cherry-picking that game doesn't even make sense, since the Bucks can't play "5 out pick and pop" because their big star is an historically terrible 3-point shot. And we've throttled some teams with decent 3-point shooting 5s anyway.

#112 topfive, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Swiss Roll likes this.
  13. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

One of two things was going to happen, until neither of them happened.

cbass, Deckard, Richie_Rich and 5 others like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is the crux of _holic's argument. And why he is not a Capela fan. It just comes down to that. It is why he wants to give guys like Bruno, Zhou, Thon Maker etc a shot. Because they can, "in theory", shoot 3s. (nevermind they are way deficient in other areas).

I opine that that is not "the only way" to win a championship. In fact, I think if you review last season, I would say if the Rockets talent were better (upgraded Ariza position, for instance) the Rockets WITH Capela would have won.

5 out is a way for sure! But you can with with Capela as a rim runner..TOO. Ultimately though, it is having Harden at his best, CP at his best and a 3rd star at his best. An upgraded EG in this instance. A Capela type can be part of that core.

_holic disagrees. And that is his right. But I disagree with his assertion and instead put the focus on getting a 3rd star.

RichieBanks likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

The last team to keep GS from winning the title had Tristan Thompson averaging 31 mins in the finals.

In the 4 actual wins versus GS, he averaged 36 mins. I'm assuming they played the 5 out that holic has been griping about for years, with TT playing that much. Never knew he was a 3 pt shooter.

Deuce, Reeko and harold bingo like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Anyone could have done better with the assets that we do not have. Other than the stars we won't part with this year.

Moot point. Get over it.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Or Wednesday...

topfive likes this.
  18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

King1 likes this.
  19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I don’t understand how you continue to post with such confidence. I can’t even say what I’m thinking...it’s too awful.

You do you, man.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. rocketseagles07

So you used Milwaukee as your example of a system with the 5 we need yet Milwaukee traded the 5 that you continued to say we need?

Make it make sense....

Richie_Rich likes this.