1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Faried’s Role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dje243, Feb 2, 2019.

1. mockster

mockster Member

He will be our back up C/PF. If DJ comes hypothetically he will still be a good solid back up PF but minutes will be reduced but great insurance guy got us

roslolian and elmotsangtt like this.
  2. Mr Chuck Norris

If Clint gets in any foul trouble or injured in the playoffs we’re ****ed. For that reason, there is no reason not to get DJ if he’s available. Faired can still get his minutes and gobble up every rebound and bring energy. But you don’t pass on DJ who is already familiar with CP3 and Austin Rivers (And Brandon Knight for that matter) at the minimum. Keep all 3.

fattz, bilaal14 and cdxiong like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Faried quickly learned what some of the other still haven't:

You are there to be the benefactor of James Edward Harden's stellar basketball IQ. Try your best not to f$#k it up.

BigggReddd, D-rock, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  4. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Jordon is for backup. Just like last year, we have cp3 injuries in game 7. lesson learn please. Also warriors has a tall cousins. We need a tall guy too

D-rock and cdxiong like this.
  5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Faried is great offensively for small ball but his defense is so poor and prone to committing stupid fouls.

If only he was a couple inches taller

justtxyank likes this.
  6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Believe it or not rebounding is not the only thing you do on defense.

biff17 likes this.
  7. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

People here are only focusing on the offensive side of the ball, I see. He's definitely unreliable on that end. They need a Dedmon or a Lopez.

justtxyank likes this.
  8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

when was the last time you watched an nba game ??

BasketMAD likes this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I love Faried's play and hustle, but if we have a chance to get DJ, we need to get DJ, even if it buries Faried in the bench. DJ would help us actually finish defensive possessions since he is a great rebounder while we would not be missing the pick and roll presence that both Capela and Faried bring.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes I’m aware of this fact. Question is how much would DJ request? He has come out and said he wants to
    come back home to the Houston area and he misses playing on the court with CP3.

Would DJ accept $10 to $12 million? With so much money going to Harden and CP3 going forward and CP3 often
    injured......that salary reduction of 5 to 7 million makes a huge difference in bringing in help for Harden.

Boogie Cousins is a rental for the Warriors. The model of getting to the finals by the Warriors and Cavs in the last
    3 years or so is by “rental centers” and pay elsewhere. I’m not sold that Capela gets us to the finals while we skimp
    on the SF position. Teams getting to the finals tend to be strong or sound at SF.

*side note: don’t sell Hartenstein short of making significant improvement from this year to next.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, Faried gets almost equal offensive rebounds as Capela but falls short in defensive rebounds.
    Falls short of blocks as well.

I’m not advocating the slightly shorter and thinner Faried be our starting center from now on. What I’m saying is
    a slightly taller and slightly heavier player that Faried could blossom in the Rockets scheme and produce
    numbers equal or better than Capela. A Wendell Carter or Mo Bamba would be killing it......on rookie contracts.

saleem asked me about players coming out of the draft last year. I mentioned Mitchell Robinson (Knick’s)
    being good for our system and I stand by it.

I’m not only looking at points, points are coming to Capela due to Harden pressure going to rim while
    3 point shooters open up the court. Do you think Capela gets points in say the Bulls system with Bulls
    players around him? He would be lucky to get 10 points a game.

#31 ApacheWarrior, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Faried is great at running. Just not too good at shooting. As a PF think of Faried as a sort of Rodman type. You need 3 great shooters on the court with him and he would work good with a center who can shoot a bit, too. Maybe Capela in a year or two?

13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Far"weed" role is to learn from cp3.
    Far"weed" needs to try to benefit from the playmaking of cp3 in the same way that Blake Griffin benefitted.

Maybe harden can throw a alley hoop to far"weed" which wouldnt hurt the rockets chances of winning!

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The most the Rockets will be able to offer Jordan is $5.3M in free agency. You really think Jordan will play for that little?

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Rockets are trying to clear payroll: Knight, Chriss possibly others in order to be free agent players this summer.

I think it would be a mistake to put it into a Center. If that’s the case just stay with Capela with improving Hartenstein.

You would have told me Boogie Cousins would never play for such few money......yet here he is playing for a ring
    with little pay. Fact of the matter is the contenders are renting centers.....throw them away......rent another.
    Capela healthy didn’t have us at a very good winning record.....it was when House started panning out when
    the Rockets started showing consistency.

Edited: Denver probably the exception. They fortunately have some young players out performing their
    contracts like Morris and Beasley. Rockets with Harden and CP3 contracts are needing some players
    on contracts similar to get ahead.

#35 ApacheWarrior, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ok. But... DJ is shooting FTs better than Capela now.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I like Faried but if we end up signing DJ (long shot, it seems), I’m fine with KF being the odd man man. As others have pointed out, he’s a 5. You can’t play him and CC or DJ at the same time.

Bottom line: this team needs Capela or a player like Capela at the 5 at all times. DJ is the closest thing. Our rebounding and interior defense have been crap since CC went down. DJ is still top 10 or 15 in nearly every major defensive metric there is. Not to mention, nearly the best rebounder in the league. He’s our best bet for an insurance policy.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets are not going to be players this summer. There are not going to create room this summer. Cousins was an anomaly since he was injured and he decided to take a lesser deal to try to up his value. DJ will probably want to get another large contract while he is in the last couple of years of his prime.

I don't see it.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I liked your post because I love when people bring data and put legit effort into thoughtful posts. You did that.

But to me this is extremely misleading. Faried is making over 13 million this year; just a few million less than Capela. Sure, the Rockets aren't paying him that but after playing well here do you really think he'll accept a long term deal on a minimum after the season? People keep implying that we can just get guys like this on the minimum but Faried has never been a minimum player and he isn't playing for the minimum this year either (even if that's what we are paying him due to being lucky enough to pick him up after a buyout).

I suspect the whole reason Faried chose Houston was because he knew playing with Harden and CP3 in D'Antoni's system would increase his profile/value in the league so that he can secure another sizable contract.

And the Rockets won't be able to offer him much. They'll also be deciding between which of he and Rivers they can re-sign. I just don't see how Faried comes even close to making Capela expendable.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Thank you for the compliment.

But when you look at the payroll moving forward beyond this year, do you think the Rockets can do anything but rent
    guys on minimal contracts?

19/20 season team salary est. $139.4 million on 10 players:
    CP3 $38.5M
    Harden $37.8M
    Capela $16.5M
    Knight $15.6M
    EGordon $14.1M
    Tucker $8.4M
    Nene $3.8M
    PO
    Ennis $1.9M PO
    Hartenstein $1.4M NG
    Gary Clark $1.4M NG
    https://en.hispanosnba.com/salaries/houston-rockets

Harden isn’t going anywhere and no team is taking CP3 contract at his age and with his injury history.
    So we work from that.

This is why I think moving Brandon Knight is so important moving forward. I would not be surprised if Nene and Gordon are moved this trading deadline. Rockets are at a cross roads by Feb 7th.

Personally I feel the Rockets could win now with DJ and Faried at minimal amounts and sub out the Capela contract
    for a good SF making $15M or 2 SF making about $7.5M. But that’s just me. Worry about who will play center
    next year over the summer knowing Hartenstein could fill in as backup (next year). IMHO.

Rockets are in must win mode as are the Warriors. Warriors won’t be able to retain Cousins or Durant beyond this yr.

hakeem94 likes this.