1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Rockets emerge as possible suitor for Lakers’ Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 12, 2018.

1. basketballholic

I shouldn't reply to you. All you do is run crap here. You need to upgrade your game to post more meaningful stuff.

But to help you understand a little better.....

We passed the date when we can trade for players and then remix them up in trades with other of our players in aggregated salary deals at the deadline. And we had deals we could do for Knight then...that would have gave us more trade flexibility. We have not passed the date when we can make a trade for an individual player and then flip him again for other players at the deadline. We can acquire Pope, then trade him again at the deadline for up to $15 million worth of incoming salary. Or we can trade him out again after we acquire him for a $15.1 million single salary...then trade that salary out again at the deadline for a single salary of up to $18.975 million in salary.

What we cannot do is trade for KCP, then merge his $12 million with ..... Ego's $13.5 million to acquire a player or players that make more salary than what we could trade for if we simply traded KCP and EGO separately for those players.

Hui likes this.
  2. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Probably to do right by Ariza. He was good to our org and team. If he is wishing to go back home it’s only right for us to help in anyway while getting something in return.
    Maybe we will send Melo too while we are at it.

I wish we could get Ariza back but maybe he and his family want to move back to LA

3. BigBum

BigBum Member

I watched the games, both of them are not good defenders. I'd not give them any minutes in the playoffs.

4. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Dec 15th is gonna be LIT!

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Thanks anyway, but @xiki beat you to it with a reply that I actually had time to read: "In an aggregated deal."

#145 topfive, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No willingness to make a serious change or maintain salary. All this move does is shed salary for next season at the cost of a first rounder. KCP has been irrelevant to his team his entire career. 6'5 with a below average wingspan, mediocre defense and mediocre shooting. Hooray.

I don't think this guy is any better than House.

7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Pretty sure if there is a team we can flip KCP to at the trade deadline they would just get him now, why bother waiting? It would probably be easier for the Lakers and Suns too since we'll be complicating things with Knight's contract.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This makes no sense at all. I'm in the group that thinks we're just being mentioned because:

1. We need wing players
    2. We're sucking
    3. We are always looking to make a trade

xiki likes this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Agree.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

That gentleman is Bimathug, a CZ legend.

And he specifically stated that he was not advocating giving up a 1st for KCP, but was detailing likely trade scenarios.

JoeBarelyCares and xiki like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes he is when defending SG/SF. Not so good defending 4's. Not strong or long enough at 6'5.

Rockets need a switchier wing.

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agree with this but eh, not sure if the Rockets are necessarily looking for a 3/4, seems like it's more about moving/getting specific contracts...we'll see i guess.

D-rock likes this.
  13. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

What if:
    Gordon to PHX > Ariza to LAL > KCP to HOU
    and Knight to CLE > JR Smith to HOU?

Gordon makes sense as a back up to Booker and Knight makes sense in a tax savings move for CLE.

14. Theking

Theking Member

Sure is, its ****ing pay day

BHannes2BHonest and RocketsMAN! like this.
  15. bmd

bmd Member

I'm gonna be honest... I don't know much about KCP. But from everything I've read so far, he's talked about like he's very good on defense.

Here are some examples:

Mathloom, BigMaloe, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe you can add the first part of 'holic's response to your 'holic signature. The man. The myth. The condescension.

topfive and xiki like this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yawn...

Little Bit likes this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So, bearing in mind we will have to include assets - like a first round pick - to exchange Knights 2 year deal for someone else's - like KCP's - expiring deal... you think it makes sense because in the very unlikely scenario that the Pelicans decide to trade Anthony Davis, the Rockets being able to trade them KCP's contract in a seperate deal for Hill would put them over the top?!?!

I suspect you're suggesting something like Capela and Tucker or Gordon plus draft picks for AD, plus a separate trade of KCP then for Hill.

Honestly, I think the Pelicans would just saw nah, we'll just keep AD for his last year than do that, regardless of how many draft picks the Rockets include... and bearing in mind they've already included one to get KCPs contract in the first place.

It's all extremely unlikely... like a 0.000001% probability.

Some random team will come out of nowhere and offer NOP something. If I'm the Hawks I'm risking a move for example - they have Lin, Dedmon, Bazemore, Plumlee and great lotto picks to work with.

Also, if the Pelicans are going to go a different direction, which would likely make them worse, not sure they'd care quite as much about moving on from Hill at that point, if you consider he'd then be an expiring contract and potential asset this offseason - whereby maybe they could move him and get a pick somehow. Yes, they have luxury tax concerns like everyone, but I think they're like 18th in salary for next year at the moment... so not completely f'd like the heat.

Speaking of the Heat... sure that makes something with the Heat more likely... but its not exactly hugely exciting stuff there to pick through, imo.

so trade another pick...

Ok, so if it comes down to this type of deal... I guess it makes a little more sense...

Except, why would the Lakers do that? They'd be taking on salary for next year, and taking on players they don't really need. I don't think they really want Melo. I guess Ennis would be ok off their bench, but just as we'd rather have Ariza back then Ennis, so would they.

In any case, are you ok with a deal that would have to include a first round pick?? This is where i say no...

19. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

You hearing anything new with the Rockets? Please post more we value your inside information

20. onreego

onreego Member

Pope could be great off the bench if Gordon becomes a permanent starter.