1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I will shut down the government. I will take that mantle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 11, 2018.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Starting tomorrow, Pelosi said it and not Trump.

Nippystix likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

These people run the most powerful nation in the history of man.

RocketWalta, Amiga and Nook like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

After handing him this material, the very stable genius came up with:

"I will be the one to own the shutdown"

[​IMG]
    Mission Accomplished

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Televising this meeting was nothing but a stunt to show his “strength” and bully the dems on camera. His base doesn’t care about facts or what Pelosi/Schumer have to say to the press after the meeting. They’re not seeing that. What they did see is their “tough” guy POTUS belittling the dems to their face in the public eye. I guarantee you that’s all they’re running over at FN.

To the average Trump supporter this just looks like Trump strong, libs weak, and it ends there. I understand dems don’t want to stoop to his level but we need people in the media and in congress that are willing to look him in the eye and push back. If nothing more than for the optics of it.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope, fight fire with fire, if you are ignorant enough to be a Trump supporter, then you deserve whatever comes your way.

DD

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Agree or disagree with Trump is irrelevant on this point. This heated conversation will boost Trump with his base and causal voters who hate government bureaucrats and bureaucracy. It's more and more apparent that The Donald plays the game better than everyone else.

For the record, I disagree with Trump. A wall is a stupid idea.

7. dmoneybangbang

Not sure how many presidents can manage those approval numbers in this economy.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Guess even trump didn't think he played the game better than everyone else...

JeffB and adoo like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Cool story bro

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

For the record ,a lot of CF's here disagree with him on the wall also.But i have to disagree with you on the boost thing in some circles he has loss some of the causal voters with I'll shut down the government comment most don't see that as a good thing.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I dont think you understand @NewRoxFan - while snarky liberal elites would never unwittingly smash themselves in the nutsack with the remote control while reaching for a big Mac in bed wearing silk pajamas and then accidentally butt dialing Hannity live on air and screaming racial epithets while howling in pain and inadvertently copping to multiple felonies...its the kind of thing that really fires up the base.

Frankly I'm surprised you haven't learned your lesson by now.

JeffB likes this.
  12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

There are many DoD employees that make up a portion of Trump’s base. He’ll lose some support if the government shutdown occurs over his wall; folks don’t like it when they stop getting paid. Doubt there will be many that defect from the other side.

What’s his end game if he doesn’t get the wall? Is he willing to keep the government closed no matter what? If he gives in, his rabbid base won’t be happy.

I also imagine we’ll be hearing that statement from The Don in plenty of ads come 2020.

13. RESINator

RESINator Member

The man is comepletely incoherent in his arguments. Pence must feel so embarrassed.

Rashmon likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

more on Pelosi's tinkle match with the skunk-in-chief

"The failed negotiations increase the likelihood of a partial shutdown just days before Christmas, according to multiple House aides. And with both sides dug in, a funding lapse could last weeks, possibly forcing Pelosi to deal with reopening the government as her first order of business in the majority.

"Some rank-and-file Democrats fear a shutdown — or even a stopgap funding bill — could hamstring their work in the first few days of the majority as they look to advance their agenda.

“ 'We want to come out of the starting blocks full steam ahead,' said Rep. Anthony Brown (D-Md.). 'It’s less of a question on the impact on Nancy’s leadership — she’s a strong leader, and she’ll lead us through whatever set of issues we have to deal with — but I think it’s a question of whether we get to move out of the starting gate.' ”​

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/11/pelosi-disses-trumps-manhood-white-house-meeting-1057607

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where were his supporters belittled???

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

In separate posts on the first page : sheep, malleable, troglodytes, brainwashed.

BruceAndre likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Trump's strong stance is a negotiating ploy - take the most extreme stance to get what you want and then claim victory. It's his MO. Unfortunately, everyone knows his game and it's not going to work. And I don't think Trump wanted that meeting to go the way it did.

This isn't going to change anyone's mind - those who support him will still support him, those that don't won't. It was a stupid idea to do this and I think Schumer made an error to make a childish attack on him about him winning Indiana and North Dakota (which I presume he is saying they are red states so of course he should win them)

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

oh you are talking about posters not Pelosi or Schumer.

Trump supporters say things that are simply not true. Polls show that they have misinformed ideas in shockingly high numbers. So it's totally fair criticism that they are not interested in the truth or facts.

No Worries and Eric Riley like this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The wall is not popular.

The government shutting down is not popular.

Be my guest to die on that hill, T-Dog.

No Worries and Pringles like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Trump already won.

He wanted the discussion away from Mueller and Flynn and the investigation and he got it.

No Worries and Os Trigonum like this.