1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kennedy to retire - USSC will swing even further right

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 27, 2018.

1. jcf

jcf Member

Wow.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Republicans are weak and pathetic, no?

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Maybe they fear there isn't enough time left to confirm before 2019. And if the Dem take the majority in 2019, maybe they fear that the Dem would play pay-back -- no consideration for any of Trump's choice because clearly the people have spoken and voted in a DEM Congress.

4. foh

foh Member

Took 2 months for Gorsuch. They have 2 months. This is just GOP making sure that base is not deflated over a setback and that Trump's orders are followed, so he doesn't have Chinese food with Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosy.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That wouldn't stop them if there was an actual reason to pull the nomination but you don't pull nominations as a result of baseless allegations. There's simply no reason to do so.

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think democrats are going to be disappointed in the end. Either Kavanaugh will get through next week, or if the Democrats take over the Senate during the midterms the Republicans will ram through another nominee in a lame duck session of Congress before January. They will use Diane Feinstein's withholding of the letter as justification.

9. jcf

jcf Member

I'm sure the vast majority of us are nice people in person. But, my God, there are some abysmal and offensive posts on here. I'm not sure if anyone really thinks insults (hi SamFisher) and incendiary comments are persuasive, or this is all one big joke.

I guess I signed up for this. But the pure bile coming out in some posts is starting to drown out what I thought was pretty interesting if heated discussion.

foh and Hakeemtheking like this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

To be fair I think he said he was already a victim of assault by an older man when he was a kid. So I think you might have already got your wish ( ͡° ل͜ ͡°)

Nook likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Most Democrats expect him to be confirmed. I don’t think they expect to be able to stop it from happening.

foh likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Did you post “wow” about the original post? You know the one where someone actually wished another poster was would be falsely accused of rape and his life would be ruined?

Ottomaton likes this.
  13. foh

foh Member

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/407844-kavanaugh-fight-roils-an-already-ugly-political-climate
    "Political observers say the breakdown in culture is partly a response to Trump, but they also note that politics had been growing increasingly polarized even before he served in the White House.
    And they also say the rise of social media and cable news networks are partly to blame for inflaming the tensions in the country."

I think the bit about social media is important - those damn tweets are often driven by impulse or an emotion of some kind or a race to be the first to frame a debate - thus never thought out. Social media also makes our attention spans too short to actually try and understand an opposing point of view.

Politicians should be banned from using Twitter. Reading Grassley's tweets is like reading a teenage girl's emotional love scribbles in terms of text speak and drama. It's ridiculous to see from a high ranking senate official of his stature (and age).

ps. i don't have twitter - maybe I'm biased.

jcf likes this.
  14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Because her behavior for the past week has been publicized. I can make a judgement that she's nuts.

Btw the final person Ford named has no idea what she's talking about

Everyone who Ford named has denied any knowledge of the party. All of these people have been consistant in their denials. They have all go on record under punishment of law if they lie and some have no reason to lie as they aren't being accused of wrong doing. One of these deniers is even a friend of fords.

Ford on the other hand has changed the number of people at the party. She has changed the dates. She has lied and done everything she can to not go on record.

I have enough information to declare a person a wacko. Bob this lady is either insane or just an awful human being. You are getting played.

#1554 tallanvor, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's not a question of believe or don't believe.

An accusation without evidence or even corroboration is not actionable, it's effectively meaningless

MojoMan likes this.
  16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    And there you have it folks, It's 4 against 1 in sworn testimony. On top of that, Blasey Ford has a huge credibility problem stemming from her timing, her liberal activisism, and her obvious motives. It's unreal how the media assisted her efforts to lie and mislead, all for partisan gain. Shameful. Same thing has happened with the Russian-Trump collusion story. We need a complete purging of the media -- as in move it out of liberal havens like NYC, DC and Hollywood. They have become political activists and not journalists.

GOOD DAY

TheresTheDagger and Astrodome like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

Actually, he later admitted he made that story up, which in itself seems odd to do...

18. NewRoxFan

First most, including me, expect kavabaugh to be approved. I have the same qualms about kavanaugh that I did before... he has not been truthful, he doesn't respect precedence, he will attempt to over turn Roe and ACA, and he will protect trump should charges arise. I also think the accusation needs to be investigated. But regardless republicans will vote to approve.

That said, republicans trying to ram through him or another nominee would be expected, Democrats didn't, but republicans have already shown no qualms to make a mockery of politicizing the judicial.

19. jcf

jcf Member

No. I thought about it. But I thought it would be redundant.

Plus, as repulsive as that wish was, yours was directed at some wife or daughter actually being raped which doesn't fit with other posts of yours that I read.

I have read some of your stuff. I am confident you didn't mean it and were just making a point.

So, I left it at "wow"

Nook likes this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Summarizes the left currently.