1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kennedy to retire - USSC will swing even further right

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course Mark Judge doesn't want to testify and they will not call him to testify. Because Mark Judge won't lie and if he testifies and tells the truth, it will be the end of Kavanaugh.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    The post above is a disingenuous lie, purposefully put forth by FranchiseBlade to mislead. Even if Blasey Ford's last minute, partisan inspired allegations are true, Kavanaugh did not sexually assault her. Her allegation is attempted sexual assault. Very different. So if her lies were true, then the situation from 1982 was that a 17-year old boy, 35+ years ago, allegedly tried to sexually assault a woman but didn't. You want to destroy a man's career over that? Insanity.

Furthermore, where is due process in all of this? You cannot instantly criminalize a citizen merely by making unsubstantiated allegations. Any educated adult would agree with me on that. This is a DNC-drive and media supported lynching of a good man in Brett Kavanaugh. Shame on all of you for advancing this. You aren't even good at hiding your motives, which are purely partisan in nature.

GOOD DAY

3. foh

foh Member

Have you seen that testimony? Can you provide a link?

Were the questions done by the biased GOP representatives of Davis and Ventry ilk? Who will go after them if they lied? The GOP led committee?

Republicans are not to be trusted - all they want to do is to "plow through" instead of doing what they are constitutionally required to do.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Really clear Trump should have withdrawn BK and appointed someone else. He will get confirmed but at a high price for Republicans.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. jcf

jcf Member

I don't think one can necessarily conclude that it is because he is lying or covering up.

I wouldn't want to testify on the national stage particularly if I know I'm going to be hit with a lot of questions about my writings on high school drinking and a vomiting Bart Kavanaugh. There is no upside to Judge testifying from his perspective. He just gets humiliated.

I know one can take same thoughts and apply them to why Ford wouldn't want to testify or at least would want some protections. I do think there is a difference between being the accuser and a third party witness (or really non-witness) who is being dragged into this.

7. jcf

jcf Member

Again, I don't think you can make this assumption. In fairness, if Judge is telling 100% the truth, he knows (and I think we all probably know), testifying on this is going to be one side using him a talking point to hurt Ford's claims and the other is going to humiliate him and cast him as a liar. Having his name out there associated with this is probably traumatic enough. Having his face seared into everyone's consciousness if he testifies is something that is pretty reasonable to want to avoid. (Yes, you can turn this around with respect to Ford's reticence as well.)

8. NewRoxFan

Yet, if the objective is to find out the truth about what happened, then his appearance (televised or not), is important. And if she wants him to testify, then she must think he will testify to support her version of the story. I think most people already think the worst of their behavior in school, but I do think its important to determine what person is being elevated to a lifetime position on our highest court.

If getting to the truth isn't important and the goal is to simply confirm kavanaugh, then simply say that, hold the vote. Again, Ford made the difficult decision to speak up.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt it, people keep saying that, but when something like 25% of the population believe that her story is credible it's only the fringe left that is up in arms about it. No one else cares. Sure they'll make a lot of noise, but it could end up hurting their credibility more so than anything else.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This would be accurate if the woman was making a credible accusation, she's not. As such, it's absolutely fine to say that she's not making a credible accusation and likely either doesn't know what she's talking about or that she made the whole thing up.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

12. jcf

jcf Member

Call me cynical, but I really doubt televised questioning of Judge is going to reveal the truth. Those who want to believe one thing or the other will likely walk away believing they were right.

This doesn't sound like a situation where there is a lot of evidence that hasn't been revealed yet and that simply hearing Judge say "I don't remember anything like that" will somehow convince anyone who is already inclined to believe Ford sight unseen.

Conversely, IF Ford testifies and if she is credible, that may sway some viewers. And not having Judge on tv rebutting her testimony probably favors the ant-Kavanaugh sentiment.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

BTW doesn't Ford have about 8 minutes left to announce if she's going to testify or not? isn't that her most recent deadline? Shocking that they are dragging this out as long as possible and I wouldn't be surprised if the deadline passes without hearing from them. At 2:31 eastern I would announce a Monday vote on Kavanaugh if she doesn't respond saying that she'll appear to testify. Time to take the kid gloves off.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

They just did more delay bullshit:

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Shocking that they'd do all they can to delay this even further. It's essentially a fake acceptance and in reality just a call for more time to "negotiate" when there's really nothing to be negotiated, either she shows up or she doesn't.

16. NewRoxFan

I don't think the testimony needs to be on TV if Judge prefers some degree of privacy. Furthermore, I don't think its important to sway public opinion, since just as here, I suspect those that support trump will support kavanaugh regardless of what happens in front of the senate. What is important is that the senators learn as much as possible before they vote to confirm kavanaugh.

Weeks ago I suggested the senate drop the pretense of advise and consent and simply allow the nominees to be sat on the court (or cabinet positions). This senate and for all intents surrendered the role anyway. Let trump name his people and let American deal with what happens.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, to me, at this point the testamony would be just noise. Some people are better liars and storytellers than others, and testamony is notoriously unreliable.

How impressive each of them is under varying degrees of congressional partisan browbeating has very little to do with who's recounting of events is more honest.

And honestly, Kavanaugh is basically a partisan royalist who would have been too conservative for von Metternich in 1848. He would have excused the Watergate break in for Nixon as, "presidential perogative".

The fact that he was a little wanna-be popped collar proto-"frat boy douchebag" in high school is almost expected.

It saddens me that we have to have to have this confrontational Reality TV style "he said/she said" drama before we have concerns about him and it just reinforces to me how f**ked we are in the age of Reality TV presidents.

There was a time in this country when the affairs of state weren't conducted to the backdrop of a soap opera or a high school clique.

Cavanaugh's appointment shouldn't come down to who dials which 800 number the most after the big finale show. Whichever way it turns out, we've lost because that is what it has been reduced to, and if it hadn't been reduced to that, nobody would have paid attention.

#1517 Ottomaton, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The only reductiveness is in the veneer being stripped away.

This is what the right has been in this country for decades or longer. Figuratively and literally, the only consistency in ideological framework has been oppression of the powerless on behalf of the powerful.

Even allegedly bipartisan saint John McCain's last major legislative act - to impose massive theft of 1% or less of the mostly non personal/foreign based rich from the poor, a massive **** you to everyone with a lifespan past 2018, is objectively a moral stain.

Kavanaugh, the laughably indistinguished child of absolute privilege, being kinda Rapey is a feature, not a bug.

19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I hope a woman from your past comes forward with a bogus allegation and ruins your life. Call it poetic justice for your abject stupidity.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why not just pick someone else. I am sure their are plenty of right wing judges who will do the republican bidding.