1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo went from 0.99 PPP in ISO to 0.89. That’s not a big decline to u? Melo went from ISO on 23.5% of his possessions in NY as the 1st option to 18.1% of his possessions in OKC as the 3rd option. That seems like a natural reduction in isolation possessions to me.

U are overhyping Melo, but Butler is the one who is overrated on offense? The same Melo that’s been below league average in efficiency the past 4 seasons? Teams damn sure aren’t worried about 35 yo Melo. Butler is way more impactful than Melo on offense now. He’s a lot more efficient, and he actually creates for others as well. Butler puts pressure on the rim while Melo does his jab step routine out on the perimeter. The problem is that his little jab step series isn’t nearly as scary as it once was.

Prime Melo sh*ts on whatever Melo did his last season in NY. 11-12 Melo was half-assing/quitting on the team until D’antoni got up outta there. Once that happened, the Lin hype died down, and Melo felt like playing, he then proceeded to average 30 ppg in April and win Player of the Month. Please don’t try to act like 2017 Melo and 2012/prime Melo were close as players. In 12-13 he averaged 28.7 ppg and won the scoring title. Prime Melo is above Butler, but there’s no coach alive putting this declining 35 yo Melo ahead of current Jimmy Butler...

BaselineFade, Chamillionaire and YOLO like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You go by this but how many teams wanted to give Cousins the max?

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

obviously 0

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, natural when you are playing with PG13 and Westbrook, that latter guy is important to note.

But compare his ISO efficiency to his OKC teammates...

No one is saying he's in his prime and he's never been terribly efficient, even in his prime, but you both are putting far too much in his OKC season when just the year before he was an all-star.

I saw plenty of those OKC games, I saw a player that played little defense, true, but offensively he didn't look bad. It looked like a guy always out of rhythm, told to be a 3 point shooter only, and to enjoy that role. At that point you had to know he was going to half ass it.

If you gave Harden and Westbrook the same exact role as they gave him, they'd look a lot worse too. It was said he started to demand to start but he comes here knowing that he may not start, telling me it was never about that for him, he didn't like the role they gave him and he checked out. CP3 and Harden are willing passers, they'll get a lot more efficiency out of him.

We can go back and forth on this for a long time but I see no reason to anymore with the season a month away.

He's not going to be prime melo, but he's going to look a lot better than he ever did in OKC and probably in NYC because he's finally playing with actual PGs again and not dudes hunting for Triple Doubles.

HakeemOnlyFan and hakeem94 like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, so my point is the league and teams are sometimes wrong about how they collectively judge players. They could be right on Cousins, maybe he's locker room cancer and maybe his injury, which was a pretty serious injury, will mean he's going to go downhill quickly...

but the league gets things wrong. I'm sure Washington fans loathe that they passed up on trading Beal for Harden every time that dude takes a shot and there's probably a bunch of other teams wondering if they should have traded for him too.

I think Melo will do what we need him to do and what Ryno failed to do. shoot the ball when it's passed to him. For the Rockets, our system, it really is that simple.

As for Butler, like I said before, based on the teams he supposedly prefers to go to, he goes to one of those teams not much changes in the NBA. He'll make the NYK or Nets relevant, other than that, they'll be playoff fodder for the actual elite teams in the East.

He'd move the needle coming here or to the Spurs or something or Blazers...other than that, I'm not all that worried about where he ends up and I'm not so sure about trading Gordon for him. Just how I feel about him. I could be wrong.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

the only reason why he was an "all star" the year before was bc they ran out of injury replacements. he wasn't voted in by coaches or anything. he was a last resort.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LMAO. Nice find HP. damn.

8. bratna8

bratna8 Member

BigMaloe, ISOBall, whiskeyred and 3 others like this.
  9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Slowly.

Thibs is going to try everything to convince Jimmy for one last run.

Unfortunately, anyone with eyes can see that the Wolves aren't built well. Mismatched everywhere and they've already misused KAT. Sad stuff

Then again, when was Thibs ever great with Bigs?

10. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Thank you

BigMaloe, DonKnock and whiskeyred like this.
  11. Codman

Of course. Post more often. :)

BigMaloe, whiskeyred, ISOBall and 3 others like this.
  12. Codman

Also...trust in @cyberx.....he's got different relationships that are amazing. He's the real deal. I'm just a guy players/agents/etc talk to because I maintain trust and loyalty.

I owe a lot to Thunder Dan and Duffy (BDA Sports)

I'm building with players and GMS, regularly.

We're sometimes wrong about what we hear, but it comes from professionals with incredible insight and knowledge of what's going to happen.

As always, I apologize when things fall through.

I'm sorry that the MIA deal fell though...or did it? Maybe you'll be surprised in December ;)

X)0

13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

14. lionaire

lionaire Member

Yikes, this isn't going to end well.

D-rock and BigggReddd like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tom Thibodeau 'bout to get up and walk right out that office :D ... right behind Jimmy out the door.

D-rock, BigMaloe, whiskeyred and 6 others like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

NEW YORK -- As the Minnesota Timberwolves front office tells inquiring rivals that the franchise has no plans to trade All-Star forward Jimmy Butler, owner Glen Taylor had a different message for owners and executives at the NBA's Board of Governors meetings: Butler is available, and prospective suitors should contact Taylor himself should they struggle to make progress with GM Scott Layden, sources told ESPN.

The growing disconnect between Minnesota's ownership and front office has created an impression for opposing teams that a showdown between Taylor and Tom Thibodeau, the Wolves' president of basketball operations and head coach, looms as an increasingly plausible conclusion to Butler's trade request.

"The owner's trading him," one Board of Governors attendee told ESPN on Friday. "That was made clear. It's just a matter of when."

"He basically said, 'If you don't get anywhere with [Layden], and you've got something good, bring it to me," another high-ranking league official told ESPN.

Taylor declined comment to ESPN on Friday as he left the mid-town Manhattan hotel that hosted the league's meetings.

Many of those attending the Board of Governors meetings are convinced that Taylor and top team business officials don't want a prolonged saga with Butler, preferring to move him to a new team sooner than later.

Thibodeau -- who oversees Layden, the point person on trade talks with outside GMs -- wants to hold onto Butler and navigate the season with him. If Thibodeau is destined to get fired at season's end, those familiar with this thinking say he'd rather do so reaching the playoffs for a second straight year with the benefit of Butler on the roster. The idea of missing the postseason in the aftermath of a trade that leaves the Timberwolves devoid of a short-term, comparable talent to Butler, a four-time All-NBA forward, is fully unappealing to Thibodeau.

Meanwhile, Taylor has far less of a stomach for a dysfunctional season of feuding among Butler, All-Star center Karl-Anthony Towns and forward Andrew Wiggins and the damage that'll do to the franchise's image, league sources said. The franchise's business operations want to limit the sullying of what had been until now a successful marketing campaign around the franchise's starry young core, league sources said.

Butler told Thibodeau that he would like to be traded before reporting for Timberwolves media day on Monday and that he plans to leave the franchise in free agency next summer, league sources said.

The Clippers have two max contract slots available in July. They are emerging as a front-runner for Kawhi Leonard when Toronto's All-NBA forward becomes a free agent in July, league sources said. The Nets' ability to sign two max free agents in the summer will keep them in consideration for Butler, but he has prioritized the Clippers and Knicks over them, league sources said.

In any circumstance, Butler wants a trade to a team that plans to sign him to a five-year, maximum contract that could be worth $190 million in the summer, and his list could expand based upon the Timberwolves' and rival teams' willingness to negotiate a trade for him, league sources said.

D-rock, BigMaloe, yixiixiy and 3 others like this.
  17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Minnesota is a god damn train wreck, holy sht

18. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

So what happens if the training camp day comes and he is not traded? what they can do if JB dont show up for training camp?

19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

they can fine him

20. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

thats it only fine? wow
    owner saying something else
    looks like war is about to start in minny organization..lol