1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FEDERALIST] If We’re Going To Have A Racial Double Standard It Should Be About Black Americans Only

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 11, 2018.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, it is factually correct. Poorer kids score lower on these tests on average than richer kids. Showing, that yes, wealth has a huge effect on how kids score on tests. Personally, I don't believe that richer kids are inherently smarter than poorer kids, it just genetically makes little sense so I tend to think that richer kids just have more tools and resources available to them.

Well, I'm not sure why you would fix the 'home life' first when education is supposed to be the great equalizer to social mobility in the first place.

You would make sure that education works, right now there are far too many variables when it comes to that alone, much less the variables that then have to go into consideration like 'home life'

Is Education the great equalizer or no? If you believe so, then why would you fix everything else first?

It would be like...if you baked a cake but every time it came out wrong...now you know the Oven is a little wonky but you also aren't sure if the ingredients to bake your cake is correct...do you continue to try different ingredients or do you finally just fix the damn oven. When you look to solve an issue you get rid of the variables. By fixing the oven, you've now gotten rid of one variable and can now eliminate which ingredient works and which doesn't.

One variable you will NEVER get rid of is how parents parent their children...one variable YOU can solve is making sure that all kids get a good and decent education.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Have you read the Stanford study on charter schools?

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The irony is that the rich school districts do better with traditional public schools and the poor school districts do better with charter schools based on the studies I’ve read. Those school districts usually have the republicans campaigning for charter schools and the poor school districts have democrats campaigning against them.

http://urbancharters.stanford.edu/

A whole bunch of right wing Stanford studies on there...I’ll let you tell me how they are wrong and you are right.

And I love how you try to box me in simply because I don’t agree with your basic structure of how people on the “left” or “right” should think. Are you sure that you aren’t the conservative and don’t realize it?

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This article is backward crap. It plants the idea that minorities should be fighting with each other over affirmative action and recognition of grievances.

Other minorities aren't the enemy in the battle. The enemy is the power structure that has a history of discriminating against multiple minority groups.

I believe we need to recognize what crimes and oppression have been levied against folks today, yesterday, and in the future. But the idea that different minorities should be competing with other for scraps that the power structure deems to throw them is ridiculous. Pretty much everyone minority group has been crapped on by the power structure and they should be united in correcting that.

London'sBurning and JayGoogle like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

I haven't read the whole thing, but I know of it. It suffers from the exact problem I talked about - that's one of the bigger criticisms of it. They do racial/socioeconomic tracking so they try to compare charter students with similar public school students, and that's great. But they still don't account for the self-selection problem that kids who go to charter schools likely have more involved or more assertive parents. They answer this criticism by saying that they assume all parents pick the situation best for their child, but that realistically is not true.

Amiga, Nook and DFWRocket like this.
  7. Senator

Senator Member

What about toxic masculinity, lack of stable male figures, cultural attitudes? In order to get to a place where you have racial integration and a good education provided to kids via better teachers, regardless of school district, you need to be honest with yourself as a community. Not just claim racism and expect good teachers to come into bad neighborhoods. Emphasis needs to be placed on having kids if you are stable enough to have them, not just because you feel broody. These are ignorant values that hurt the community more than the agenda of well... if kevin love had more practice and training... he'd be just as athletic as lebron.

8. Senator

Senator Member

From the last paragraph:

There are excuses, but the crux of the problem shouldn't be ignored as stated in the above post.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

LMAO what a stupid way to minimize 12 years of education at substandard schools.

10. cml750

cml750 Member

So you both say that children in charter schools do better do to having more involved parents? If that is the case, how do you blame the schools for children with less involved parents doing worse? Using that logic it is the parents fault and not the schools. The sad thing is you actually have the main problem figured out even if you refuse to realize it.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Article is BS. I agree there are especial and significant handicaps to being black in America, but the author completely minimizes the hardships of other minorities, and it's false to say white privilege is merely the flip side of black disadvantage.

Deckard likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most of the "handicaps" associated with being black in America are merely the "handicaps" of being poor in America. It's just that there is a significantly higher poverty rate in the black community than pretty much any other group so some people associate being poor with being black. Most of those "handicaps", other than those associated with certain poisonous subcultures, disappear when you look specifically at middle or upper class black people.

When it comes to "white privilege" that's merely the "privilege" associated with being middle or upper class and some people associate white people with being middle or upper class. People often make the same association with Asians, and that's why they often aren't considered a minority and are even discriminated against when it comes to college admissions and probably other areas as well.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Again, why are you trying to change the one variable that can't be changed?

Why are you focused on fixing bad parenting...something almost entirely subjective...than trying to make sure that all education is uplifting and then going from there?

You have this entire thing backwards, see my previous post directed at you.

Asians are overrepresented in about every elite college.

Good luck proving they are discriminated against because of admissions when...

• Admissions are not just about test scores
    • Admissions are subjective
    You're going to have a hard time proving it based on these two facts.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Let me guess: Jews are overrepresented in the media, too.

15. Nook

Nook Member

That is exactly what the article is attempting to do, and is only aping what has been a strategy embraced by some extremist groups. The demographics in the USA are changing, in our life time minorities collectively will be in a position to politically control what happens in the USA. So the only way around that possibility is to fragment minorities and their interests.

Another common, but meaningless trope is to argue that the change "needs to happen in the home". It sounds logical until the realization that it is used as an excuse to keep the status quo. There are very limited ways to change the family dynamics from a governmental perspective in the USA. Proponents of this position know this, so it is a simple excuse to change the narrative.

Also, I think we spend sufficient time discussing the past in the USA. It is time for proactive efforts to be made to help provide more equal opportunities. Those changes need to be institutional in nature. If the National Guard and Supreme Court and President did not get involved in the Civil Rights movement in the late 50's and 60's, there would still be separate but equal.

Last, the largest and most discriminated group is always an after thought in these discussions; which is women.

FranchiseBlade and JayGoogle like this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol wat?

If you look at Ann Coulter's strategy towards this it is the exact same argument she makes.

That blacks are the group that is owed something but no one else is and that immigration from south/central America hurts black people more than anyone else. She's been saying this for years now too.

Yep, 100% this

You can't change parenting, the government can't go into every household and dictate the 'right' way to parent children. It's a variable that simply won't change...unless people are going to suggest anti-freedom laws like "You can't have children unless you are married" and other things that we know would never be supported in this country...

The variable you can change is the quality of schools and mentors that American children get. That is the variable that the government can change.

Exiled and Nook like this.
  17. Senator

Senator Member

Uh, of course you can change parenting. You can change it by them actually being there and women holding men accountable. By leading via example, not relying on an athlete or musician to be a role model because... they're not. You have the thought process of an enabler and that wouldnt be allowed in any other community.

We live in a capitalist globalist economy, why use higher ed resources on lower IQ folk ? Shouldnt Asian and European immigrants with higher test scores in the same district rightfully get a place in a system?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are over-represented because culturally they put a high emphasis on academic achievement and (likely as a result of that cultural emphasis) on average have the highest IQ's of any racial or ethnic group. Colleges invented "personality" factors when considering admissions as a way of artificially decreasing the rate at which Asians would be accepted to certain colleges....and as a way to target other groups that they want to put in their place despite lower GPA's and lower test scores. Essentially they did it in order to get away with racial discrimination without calling it racial discrimination. Now if there were colleges that were taking in white or Asian students with lower test scores and lower GPA's than black students, you'd be out marching for "justice", but since it's Asians being racially discriminated against, you are fine with it. Funny how you are fine with the "admissions are subjective" BS when it's a group you deem as "privileged" that is being discriminated against.

I don't care if 100% of their admissions are Asian students if they are the students that earned it academically....but then again, that's probably just the difference between our world perspectives. I see meritocracy as a completely fair system, you prefer a system of discrimination in order to artificially prop up some at the expense of others

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

While I agree that the article is BS, you got the reasons why it is BS completely wrong. Of course we should not have a focus on black disadvantage to the exclusion about all other groups. Not because we need to talk about white privilege or the special hardships faced by the other groups, but instead because we shouldn't have any policies based on race at all. The government should be entirely race neutral, as required by the 14th Amendment. All citizens of the United States should have the equal protection of the laws, not some varied benefits or hindrances based on the color of their skin.
    Isn't it at all suspicious to you that as racial groups those with the lowest test scores somehow on aggregate have the best "subjective" factors to compensate and allow for their admissions over other candidates with more impressive objective factors? What is it about Asians and whites that makes a subjective analysis of them as candidates somehow value them less than blacks and hispanics, to the point where admission to the same schools requires them to score far higher on entrance exams? Seems to me they just put a black box over a system of racial discrimination and then labeled it something else. The numbers support my analysis. What evidence supports the idea that these other unmeasurable factors are far more consistently found among black and Latinx students than white and Asian students?

#59 StupidMoniker, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Bobbythegreat likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Explain to me how the government is to solve these proposed problems other than education.

JayGoogle and Exiled like this.