1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Aug 2018) Who is your internet/cable provider?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Curious. Who got the best deal?

Price versus quality versus quantity

Currently working with xfinity
    I think I can get more bang for the buck
    Elsewhere

Rocket River

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

with AT&T 100 Fiber. Speeds are good but I use the Asus router from t-mobile. It seems to have better 2.4ghz performance and has parental controls. I just use the AT&T gateway for the ethernet ports to connect to ATV and the asus router. Main thing I hate is the 1TB cap. paying 60 for it (promotional price) and I don't really want to pay more.

in this day and age of cloud cams and 4k streaming, 1TB is cutting it too close. At the end of the promotion, I'll probably jump to Xfinity unless AT&T can give me similar or better package deal.

Rocket River likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Internet; Spectrum/TWC. They are trending down on quality. I would replace in a heartbeat, but DSL is worse. Holding out hope for Google Fiber, who have laid fiber in my neighborhood but have not started service.

Cable: DirecTv. No regrets.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Sprectrum/Brighthouse. $55.00 a month for 100mbs, TV and phone.

I have options for Spectrum and ATT gigabit service but I dont want to double my bill just to say i have gig service.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Good lord thats cheap

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Spectrum 400 mbit , $60 a month. I run all my own routers/switches I can typically get between 350-450 down wired/wireless. The issue is their upload still sucks if I ever wanted to host .... Woo 20mbit !!!

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't laugh please: I'm still chugging along with U-Verse.

At this very moment, Comcast is cutting a deep trench in my back yard to fix some issue they have. Per the policeman their technician called out on us yesterday, they have a right to do this despite our objection.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

ATT for internet. $40/mo for 60??? Mbps

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually ATT spark the convo
    They just rewired in my area and been passing out the new SWITCH AND GET 100$ GIFT CERT thing
    It made me say hhhmmmmm

XFinity has me at 100 MPS but only like 150 channels
    I been thinking of cord cutting but the Firestick is not stable as i would like
    Too much buffering using the terrarium tv.

Rocket River

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wish I could get Comcast/Xfinity. I have Consolidated 1 gigabit services...

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I cord-cutted last November, I think. Just right after the Rockets season started. It sucks not seeing them but I got over it. I miss Atlanta, Mr Robot, South Park, and Legion, but I know I'll watch all that stuff someday. There was more than enough stuff on Netflix/Prime/HBO to keep me occupied.

During the playoffs I did YouTube TV for a couple months which was fantastic (I did DirecTV Now before but would not recommend it).

As for ATT internet it's been fine. I live in an area with new construction so they have their fiber out here. I don't have to reset my router that often.

12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

After dumping the cable side of Spectrum I feel I’m paying way too much. With all of the various fees it around $95 for 300 mbps internet.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I have consolidated for about $70 a month for 250mbps. What’s slowly happening is we cord cutters with only Netflix are getting back to $100/month bills as the internet providers raise the prices to make up for the loss in cable/dish.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

$134.99, $154 with extra DVRs. It is the $37 in Fees and Taxes for $191 total (with all the fees) for Xfinity Premiere TV (all the premium channels) and 150mb internet (~170 download).

It is amazing how many TV rebroadcast/Government fees that take a bite out of your cable payment. There are 6 fees before you get to sales taxes...lol.

Rocket River likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

In my hood in Friendswood it's Comcast or DSL w/ ATT.

I need a fast connection so I get their top teir of 500mb down/whatever up. It's actually no cheaper to get cable TV with one box & a VOIP phone so I took it. I can't lie, their voice remote is pretty sweet and they throw HBO in.

It's $130 + bs charges = $150/mo. I write it off so it's tax free.

I'm not dissatisfied with the service. I will jump ship as soon as a similar service comes along, though. 20+ years of Comcast bullshit scam billing doesn't engender any loyalty.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I pay like $67 a month for cable (Charter in Fort Worth area). I feel like I'm being ripped off. It's around 20 - 25 Mbps download. And, this is their most basic plan.

But, I have DirecTV and I know I can do $40 a month with DirecTV for AT&T cable with them (plus the gift credit/debit card signup deal which I think is $50).

The only thing that prevents me from switching is thinking about all the places I have to change my email address when I switch providers. I guess that doesn't really matter much but it's kind of painful. But, I may go ahead and switch because I believe I will be getting about the same speeds for almost $30 cheaper.

#16 Surfguy, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Regardless of switching, you should change your email address to Gmail, Yahoo or Outlook, etc so it will be permanent and not dependent on your ISP.

CCity Zero and Rocket River like this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is about where I am without the Premiere TVs . . . . so I am around 150
    That seems like incredibly too much

Rocket River

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmmm I'm getting 400 mbps with spectrum for $60. I'm in Austin area but went into their local store and bluffed about going to at&t... You should go regardless, 400 is 79 now I think every where.

20. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

ATT Uverse Fiber..streaming 4k all day no prob. would recommend if you have 4K tv, i also have Uverse cable to get my sports fix.

edit: randomly ran a speedtest 547 mbps down 395 up, on wifi. dont have anything connected directly to modem. probably can get higher speeds with better equipment, but fast enough for me