1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His results this year are uncanny. He's completely untouchable in save situations and the worst pitcher in baseball in every other situation.

It isn't as if it's just pressure situations, tied games have pressure and he sucks in those as well.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He probably has no idea how to handle the tie game scenario... in his mind, they can't win the game with him getting 3 outs, but they can certainly lose it... but when its as simple as 3 outs ='s win (or remember last year when Hinch was using him for 6 outs?!?), for some reason that gets him there.

I'm not a psychologist by any means... but this is the type of mental ****-upperry that should have most teams employing somebody in-house to rectify.

The uncanny splits this year scream mental imbalance.

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Trade him for some 17 year old dominican that might be able to help us down the road. He's damaged goods in Houston.

rockets1995 likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, to you its just one big statistical anomaly?

Mental issues in specific situations of the game have been well documented over the years.... where all facets, from control, location, mechanics, and adrenaline are affected.

He's a mental case... don't think anybody is questioning that.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I was a truther of Giles last year up until we all noticed some disturbing trends.

Last postseason, Hinch saw what we saw and didn't let him cost the team a championship. I expect Giles to get run in the regular season or get dealt as part of package for Hand or Britton. It could also save some prospects and send a message to team that no one is safe.

That's what I would do.

6. Screaming Fist

Over his career he has performed slightly worse in high leverage situations.

Rodman23 likes this.
  7. CinematicFusion

Problem with Giles is how he handles a bad outing. He punches himself in the face, he yells F-U man at Hinch.
    He can't keep his emotions in check. That has the potential to blow up with the Astros.

Maybe he can reset himself after the all-star break.
    You don't want to trade him to a contender and have it bight you in the butt.

Of his 34 outings...
    1. 14 outings without allowing a hit
    2. 11 outings without a run scoring but allowing a hit/hits.
    3. 9 outings allowing at least 1 run.
    (4 of those 9 outings have resulted in 2-4 run disasters. )

CrushCity, Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No contender is gonna give him meaningful postseason outings this year.

Anything we get will be from a rebuilding club looking to re-inflate his value for a trade.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  9. CinematicFusion

Agree.
    Maybe someone would want him. Two years left of control. Would pay him the remaining 2 million on his contract this year.
    Maybe a team sees something they can fix with him.
    As of now, I don't see Giles making our playoff roster. His emotional outbursts are my biggest problems. He loses composure and loses the inning in the process.
    Playoffs will again get the best of him in my opinion,

everyday eddie likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

The crazy thing is he's had success doing all these things before at various times. In '16 he was markedly better in non-save vs. save situations, yet terrible in tie games. In '15 was the same as far as save situations go, but he was great in tie games. Last year he pitched about the same regardless of save situation and only entered 4 tie games, got the L in 1 and was nails in the other 3. This year he's pitched in 5 tie games with mixed results, nails in 2, blown 2, could have blown the other if not for defense (got pulled after he got 2 outs vs. SD). He's given up runs in 9 out of 20 non-save situations this year, and 10 of the 17 runs he's given up this year were in 3 non-save games: the NYY, CLE and last night meltdowns.

And his attitude and lack of composure when things go wrong on the mound have bothered me for a quite some time. And also, contrast his performance in a fluid role with those of McHugh, Devo and Rondon, who have done nothing but go out pitch their asses off in whatever situation they've been put in. If Giles didn't like the way he was being used this year, he could have just watched how McHugh handled it, or Peacock last year.

BMoney likes this.
  11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Trade him while he still has value. If the advanced analytic are there (and they are), trade him sooner rather than later. Somebody will bite and maybe it helps in keeping a prospect or two.

Hinch and Astros need to send a message and must put (as Luhnow and co alluded too) the best 25 guys on the roster. Is he one of those guys? I think not due to antics.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As far as the Astros are concerned, we're really only looking at the sample from mid-2016 till now, which is basically where he's been more of a full-time closer, on a winning team, than any other point in his career.

If he's unable to perform in "other" situations, including tie games, consistently, then there's no point in him being on the roster... We all know that bullpen guys love set roles, but there's a certain mental block that is created when they're asked to perform outside those roles that overly complicates things.... and those with mental issues are more prone to be affected by this.

He looked completely dis-interested yesterday. Same for his lone appearance against the White Sox on Saturday.

Nook likes this.
  13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Hinch wouldn't have yanked Giles so early before. I wonder what's going on with Hinch?

[​IMG]

Is he...bah bah bah ...LeArNiNg...from his past mistakes?

[​IMG]

#973 Surfguy, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Tight leash.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

His stuff wasn't good, and wasn't fooling anybody... any manager who's watched a semblance of baseball would have made the same decision.

16. Buck Turgidson

Can't argue with any of that. My point was that as recently as last year prior to the postseason he was able to pitch well in a variety of situations.

17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

RP Josh Fields traded for Yordan Alvarez. Giles and Fields are really the same type of Pitchers Hard Throwers that can't locate. Luhnow really need to scout the minors and get the best prospect in a trade

chievous minniefield likes this.
  18. Screaming Fist

lol he's not going to be traded

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

What's new. Ken Giles sucks. I didn't watch the game. Did he drop an f bomb at hinch? My friend told me he did

20. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Let's trade him to the Dodgers! :cool: