1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cruelty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 9, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Democrats didn't start this policy as the standard mode of operation. That's who needed to stop it. Luckily he backed down and started the process. Fortunately, courts and the press are keeping their eye on things to make sure they actually get done.

2. adoo

adoo Member

Fox News Regular Bruce Turkel, An Advertising Executive / Branding Expert, Quits Over Coverage of Child Separation / Internment Camp

this is his open letter to Fox

First, let me share a guilty admission. Your network has been very very good to me. The 400 plus appearances I’ve made on Fox News and Fox Business have helped me generate lots of keynote speaking opportunities and helped me sell a bunch of books.

Moreover, I’ve developed some very good relationships at Fox. My favorite anchor, Melissa Francis, has been my friend and mentor and given me great on-air experiences.

All of that being said, I also have to say I can no longer appear on the Fox network.

I quit.

Quite simply, the position Fox has taken on our government’s policy of separating children from their parents is too heinous for me to accept.

Ann Coulter claimed that videos of crying children feature “child actors.”

Sean Hannity suggested that these children are part of a “rolling invasion” of our country.

And more than one announcer has suggested that these kids are actually better off in cages than they were with their parents. One heartless commentator dared say locking innocent children away was like “sending the kids to camp.”

Accepting that this misguided policy is wrong doesn’t depend on which side of the political aisle you’re on. It doesn’t matter if you support immigration and immigrants or if you don’t. And it doesn’t matter if you believe the law — or the Bible — gives our government the right to do what they’re doing or not.

Separating innocent children from their parents and jailing them is just plain wrong.
    It’s not as if we don’t know better. We’ve seen this kind of abominable behavior before.

Slave owners regularly separated African and African-American children from their parents. Western expansionists regularly separated Native American children from their parents. The children of Irish immigrants were often taken from their parents. Children with mental illness or intellectual disabilities were regularly institutionalized and separated from their parents. And Nazi Germany created horribly efficient systems for separating Jewish children from their parents.

Am I being hypocritical? Perhaps.
    After all, this is certainly not the first time I’ve disagreed with the positions Fox has taken. And it’s not the first time I’ve suffered a sleepless night wondering how I could continue to appear on your shows. But I always justified my decision by saying that I wasn’t really involved in Fox’s political conversations. And when we did have political conversations, I justified my decision by always being honest about where I stood on the issues.

But this time it’s different. This time it’s different because what the government is doing — and what Fox is supporting — is wrong.
    It’s not wrong only if you’re a Democrat. It’s not wrong only if you’re a Republican. It’s not wrong only if you’re a liberal. It’s not wrong only if you’re a conservative. It’s not wrong only if you’re an atheist. And it’s not wrong only if you’re a believer. Separating children from their parents is wrong no matter who you are.

Know this. Many of the children who have already been taken away will never be reunited with their parents. Bureaucratic snafus, bad record keeping, parents who don’t speak English, administrators who don’t speak Spanish, infants and toddlers who don’t speak at all, and a general lack of understanding of political systems and access to those systems, will conspire against families ever being made whole again.

Know this too. Being separated from their parents is just one of the problems these children are going to be forced to deal with. Besides the deleterious effects of poverty, limited education, relocation, and so on, the trauma of separation will manifest in every type of developmental issue imaginable. These children — and society in general — will suffer the effects of this disgraceful policy for generations to come.

Friends and family used to ask me how I could appear on Fox. I was asked this question so often that my answers became automatic. After repeating my justification about how good the people at your network have been to me, I’d present the same three tired points:

• My political viewpoint is pretty solid and pretty well known. I don’t need Fox’s image to determine or disagree with my own opinions.
      • Demographics show that more business owners watch Fox than the other news stations. Business owners are my target audience. Therefore it makes sense for me to cast my bait where the fish are swimming. And,
      • Fox invites me to be on the air almost every single week. The other stations do not.
    But all that was before you decided that separating innocent children from their parents was an acceptable practice. And it was before you supported people who will say anything — true or not — to defend this horribly un-American behavior.

Clearly, there’s nothing I can do to change the way you run your business.
    And let’s be honest, none of the shows I’ve been on will even see a blip in viewership because I no longer appear on the programs. Truth is, no one will even know I’m not on Fox anymore.

But you will know. And I will know too.

I quit.

By bruceturkel| June 27th, 2018|

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-regular-bruce-turkel-145159189.html

Nook, conquistador#11, Amiga and 2 others like this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! That is some letter.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is a purely manufactured crisis.

What a great hot take to blame Dems rather than the POS playing it.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely agree, it's a manufactured crisis with artificial outrage in hopes that it can be used as a wedge issue....but it already failed.

cml750 likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This is an important point that short term focused people don't consider. How you treat people does have an impact on them and everyone else. No one is so innocent. Past and current actions is a large cause of the current world we live in.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So that means that we should allow all prisoners to remain with their families. Brilliant.

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Im gonna repeat my question. What is a border wall gonna do? In your own words what is a border wall going to solve?

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I’ll answer your question. In this case, a border wall would prevent families from being separated, because they would be unable (or far less able) of committing the crime of sneaking into this country illegally. Thus, they would not be arrested and would not be prosecuted.

You really don’t understand how a wall works?

10. Senator

Senator Member

The problem is they will dig tunnels, which no one in the world does better.
    They will burrow holes and break parts of the wall and deactivate camera sensors. It's not going to be effective after a few years and will be the greatest waste of money ever. The change has to be with laws - only US citizens can give birth to US citizens. Anchor babies are the biggest motivating factor for illegals.

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Trust me, I complete agree with the law changes you propose. I also think a wall would be more effective than many apparently do. Democrats in Washington claim it would be a waste, but they know it would work. Thats why they’re scared to death of it. If it was just a waste of money, they wouldn’t care. They love to waste money. They don’t want their endless stream of anchor babies to stop flowing. If you look at the limited areas where something approximate to a wall has been built, the crossings in that area drop significantly. At the very least, it would give border patrol some burden relief and allow them the time to better respond to breaches.

12. Senator

Senator Member

The limited sample size is pointless, illegals can go around and take longer routes to skew data.

You'll never know unless you have a comprehensive wall in place and we still don't know the realistic ETA from start to finish and the cost considering camera's and sensors will also be placed the entire way. America needs time and money spent towards comprehensively deterring illegals, including those that overstay their visa's which is a bigger source of entry than the Mexican border, than random guesses that waste time and money but don't guarantee anything close to a resolution.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

overstay visa is a problem but not as big as illegal entry. Illegal entry brings secondary problems of sex and drug trafficking. Should go nuclear option and get the Army to build the border up.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I do but I dont think you do. People already get into the country by tunneling because there are already walls at parts of the border. people can also use things like ropes and ladders to climb walls. there are also things called boats. finally the nature of spending that much money on a wall shows complete and total irresponsibility on the president s behalf. it will cost so much money that it will be detrimental to other elements securing the border because it will wreck the budget.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Overstaying visas is a bigger problem than you think and its getting bigger. a wall is a complete and total waste of money.

"The majority of immigrants settling in the U.S. without authorization are first coming to the country legally, raising questions about the effectiveness of President Donald Trump's plan to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexican border.

Crossing the border is not the way "the large majority of persons now become undocumented," the Center for Migration Studies (CMS) said in a recent report. Two-thirds of those who joined the undocumented population did so by entering with a valid visa and then overstaying their period of admission, the center repored."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino...der-crossings-trend-expected-continue-n730216

16. Bandwagoner

The problem with illegals isn't paperwork or race, it's merit and intent. An Indian engineering student who flunked out is a much better illegal alien than a 17 year old drug runner or a 15 year old sex slave in Houston. A secure border is a massive need.

We of course need ICE to chase down violations that can prevent things like 9/11 hijackers that were on overstayed visa, but they are not part of the current crisis.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Im not saying a secure border isn't a need. but Im not so sure a wall is going to stop drugs. Building a wall might even hurt the budget in such a way that you won't have enough agents.

"But one of his former foes on the border, Norma Armendariz, says Padilla’s wrong. The Laredo native and sister of carjacking kingpin Jose Antonio “El Comandante” Armendariz estimates she earned $15,000 to $20,000 a week smuggling immigrants before she was busted in 2012. She says if she were still in the business, a wall wouldn’t slow her down much because there’s always a Border Patrol agent or customs official willing to take a bribe and look the other way.

And a lifelong mar1juana trafficker from Starr County who said he moved about 50 tons of mar1juana a year through border checkpoints in 18-wheelers told the The Texas Tribune in an interview last summer that a wall wouldn’t stop him, either.

The government’s own reports show that drug smugglers mostly bring their product into the United States through ports of entry — not across the river where the wall would be built — and the smuggler said he had a good system for sneaking it past the checkpoints that straddle the highways leading away from the border
    .'

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/0...-border-wall-wouldnt-stop-immigrants-drugs-p/

18. Bandwagoner

Although cannabis is very damaging drug, the big worry is fentanyl which is regularly caught at the border. It is often cut with heroin in Mexico and results in tens of thousands of deaths due to the fact it is 700 times stronger.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I also want to add that a wall won't stop families being separated either.

"Is the administration separating asylum-seeking families who enter at ports of entry?
    Yes, despite claims to the contrary. On June 17, DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen took to Twitter to defend family separation, saying, “For those seeking asylum at ports of entry, we have continued the policy from previous administrations and will only separate if the child is in danger, there is no custodial relationship between 'family' members, or if the adult has broken a law.”

In case Secretary Nielsen forgot, she’s currently a defendant in our class action lawsuit, where we represent families who entered at ports of entry to seek asylum and had their children taken away.

Ms. L, a Congolese mother who sought asylum at a port of entry, had her seven-year-old daughter taken away from her for four months. Immigration authorities made no meaningful attempt to verify their relationship during that time, only doing so after we filed our lawsuit.

Mirian G, a mother from Honduras, came to the U.S. with her young son on Feb. 20, 2018. She presented herself to immigration authorities and sought asylum, committing no crime. During her interview, Mirian provided immigration officers with several identification documents for her child which listed her as his mother. The next morning, Border Patrol agents took away her 18-month-old son with no explanation. She did not see him again for two months."

https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrant...and-detention/fact-checking-family-separation

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

A Wall is not going to stop the mail, lol. Fentanyl mostly comes in from china through the mail. Fentanyl also comes in through ports of entry on the mexican border. the problem seems to come more from an agent shortage which will increase if Trump gets his very expensive wall. Also fentanyl comes from china to america first then in smuggled to mexico and then back to the u.s through ports of entry, so I guess mexico should put up a wall blocking us, lol.

"Many of the opioids fueling the national epidemic are smuggled in through ports of entry, where understaffing is an issue, reports the Washington Post.The striking increase in smuggled fentanyl, a synthetic opioid, was raised in a report by Democrats on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. “Port Officers are, in the majority of cases, the last line of defense in preventing illicit opioids from entering the United States,” the report says, adding that the amount of fentanyl seized by [Customs and Border Protection] more than doubled, from 564 pounds in 2016 to 1,370 pounds in 2017."

https://thecrimereport.org/2018/05/23/agent-shortage-helps-fentanyl-slip-into-u-s-by-mail/