1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017/2018 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

this ia true, tho i don't think lfc has destroyed locker rooms like the spaniards have with countless teams. for the most part lfc has purchased players and made them superstars.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That's unfortunately how the world works, eat and not be eaten.

It's just on an incredibly absurd level in soccer.

Players tend to come in earlier by now with 16-18 and start to retire at 32-38.

They want to win the most and biggest titles and earn maximum money.

The only way to stop the BIG 2 Spaniards is to go and get them by law, if they bribe or do something ilegally, you can at least have them relegate/and subtract their point score. (What happened in Italy to Juve)

They will lose the players for 1 or 2 years. But would not do it to the Barca fans.

#1482 daywalker02, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Jontro likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I forgot about Suarez who was already a star with Ajax Amsterdam, Mo Salah is similar, nobody is watching Italian football smaller clubs or at least Roma anymore.

Salah was the poster kid of the Italian league for 2-3 years beforehand. Mostly 15 goals and 10+ assists per season regularly.

But I thought they said he was the quickest kid around, but it's very deceptive. He is also thiCC. In Hair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1484 daywalker02, Mar 21, 2018
    Jontro likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think suarez was a clear star, but i don't remember huge clubs clamoring over him. maybe it was the character issues, rightfully so. i think he bit someone there as well.

didn't know about salah. i thought he was a failure at chelsea. but i don't think we disrupted locker rooms to get these players. the few players i can think of was virgil van dijk (which i think is mediocre and not worth the trouble) and naby keita. but i think mostly those players just wanted to leave their club, instead of lfc causing disruption.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure, no doubt, LFC is a Top 4 team nationally and I think they play arguably in the best league in the world.

Huge tradition and having won CL already. Then of course there are clubs with more money or more winning tradition.

So of course it puts already good players on the map of stars.

You got to probably fight Chelsea, City, United for players from Shaktar Donetsk, French, Portuguese, Italian, Turkish and Russian clubs.

If not for Suarez, I am sure, they could have gotten after the likes of Cavani, Aubameyang themselves.

#1486 daywalker02, Mar 21, 2018
    Jontro likes this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If LFC can keep the team together and improve on defense, they're the team to beat in the EPL next season. I think they can do what City is doing this year. They just need a little more consistency in the defensive 1/3.

I also think they're going to make a run at Christian Pulisic. Klopp is the one that brought him up and he seems to be losing time at Dortmund. Might be time for him to move on.

Jontro likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

what you mean by this breh?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nothing realistic, just in theory. I'd think they could get another big shot if Suarez went to let's say Tottenham or whatever club instead of Pool.

I'd probably only rank City, United and arguably Chelsea ahead of them in terms of secks appeal.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

oh you mean if suarez never went to lfc. but that would be disastrous! wasn't that around the time when nobody wanted to come to liverpool, and we'd have to settle for mediocres from small teams? and i think tottenham was taking all of lfc's targets. what a horrible time, outside of the suarez signing.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You got a good Fernando Torres, and some national talents Raheem Sterling, Sturridge.
    Dirk Kuyt, Milan Baros.....

yeah Balotelli and Benteke never clicked though. But they were superstar names in the past.

Jontro likes this.
  12. Raz

Raz Member

They are exactly like that. Sensational press with no moral standards. Don't believe a single word from Bild.

International break now, annoying as usual. Germany plays high caliber opponents in Spain and Brazil, but I probably won't watch.

ferrari77 likes this.
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They clearly have souces and get a lot of inside news, resulting in them leaking a lot of news before the club. But sometimes they seem to make **** up, so you never know what u get.

ferrari77 likes this.
  14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Not to nitpick but just wanted to point that out cos that's the kind of crap the English media is quick to throw at various players that don't adjust immediately or at least in their first season.
    Salah was alright at Chelsea. He didn't shine everytime and he wasn't crap. They just let him go too quickly..as they did under a certain manager.

Question for the German brehs.
    (1) Do your sports journalists act like the English journos in being quick to label players that don't adjust to the BL immediately as failures?

(2) Are they as harsh on goalkeepers and their mistakes as the English journalists are?

daywalker02 and Jontro like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

didn't follow chelsea during salah's stint with them. i assume a player like salah won't fit under a mourinho system and hiddink's short time as a substitute manager did him no favors either.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In general I dun like the media.......they can lift one dude to stardome and send him to hell the next moment.

Usually side with the player, the club.

Dun read German papers enough, at times I read the English version of Marca or Italian papers.

I can imagine the Top 4-5 leagues having cray cray journalists eager to jump the gun.

The English/Italians took it to the next level IMO.

17. kanggang

kanggang Member

Exceptional video quality...definitely worth five minutes of your time.

#1497 kanggang, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I use the paper Kicker for general information, I think they are a fair one.

ferrari77 and Raz like this.
  19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not sure anyone fits under Mourinho's system any more. I've been a United fan for roughly 30 years. It's waning right now. This bland, no-style style that he plays is winning some games but it's not enjoyable to watch. He's taking world class play makers and squeezing the life and soul out of their abilities. I wasn't crazy about his signing to begin with but I was willing to ignore the past if it meant winning again. Yeah, they're in 2nd place, but it's just so passionless and not enjoyable football. It seems like any moment of creativity is in spite of the manager and that sucks to play under and watch.

I really enjoy watching Liverpool right now. If they were to sign Pulisic this summer while keeping the rest of that team together, I might just come on over...at least temporarily. Out of all of the United rivals, they're the ones I've never had a problem with. Mostly because I was a big Ian Rush fan back in the day.

ramotadab and Jontro like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I like Klopp a lot.

A nice big bro/uncle type next door.