1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Armed Teachers: Yes or No

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Feb 22, 2018.

?

Should we allow teachers to have guns on Campus?

1. Yes - Protection Protection Protection

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. No - More harm than good

98 vote(s)
    85.2%
  3. I don't know

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Of course it is. The fact is a bunch of assholes value their guns more than thousands of dead people and a school massacre every 6 weeks. So they propose stupid **** hoping the anger will simmer down and they go back to hording their guns.

malakas and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. conquistador#11

Everrybody got guns!

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Let's face it, people on both sides of the aisle are proposing "stupid ****" rather than actually addressing the issue. The facts are that the assault weapons bans that are pushed by one side are completely useless and the "arm the teachers" BS pushed by the other side is so ridiculous it won't ever go anywhere. Meanwhile, nearly 20 years later, we don't do anything to protect schools any better than we did after the Columbine shooting.

Legitimate conversation is always pushed away in order to talk about "stupid ****" instead

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

LMAO!! a TEACHER! LOL

Not even a police officer (who is trained to fight bad guys btw) can put up a fair fight against an AR-15 holding a handgun.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not actually true, just ask the 2 would be terrorists who attempted to shoot up the "Draw Muhammad contest" a few years back, their body armor and scary "assault rifles" didn't save their asses since there was a guy with a .45 there to stop them who knew how to use it.

If you look at the most deadly school massacres in US history, only 3 of the top 10 involve "assault rifles", handguns often end up with a larger body count.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We will train all teachers, and all will have a simple choice: you will master gunkata or gymkata.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

We saw a decrease in gun massacres in the years of the assault weapons ban, to the tune of about a 40% decrease in mass shootings from 94-04. We've seen a radical spike in them since that law was allowed to expire...a near 200% increase in those events since the law expired. These events are so common now, that they're not always the definitive news event of the day that they once were.

Mental health is an issue all around the world. Violence is an issue all around the world. At the end of the day, it seems to me that the nearly unlimited and easy access to weapons of war to a populace is, at least in part, responsible for a large part of the lives that have been lost in these events in the US.

So I don't think an assault weapons ban is nearly as ridiculous as the idea of giving my wife a gun to defend the kindergarten students in her classroom. I think that's ****ing insane, and she would agree.

I'm not arguing with your overall point that crappy arguments get made and should be discarded. But assault weapons bans (depending on how you define an assault weapon) are a legitimate tool in the fight against this crap, I believe. And, as it was written in 1994, it was tested repeatedly in the courts and was upheld.

#147 MadMax, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Deckard, krnxsnoopy, malakas and 3 others like this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why stop at half measures?

Arm all the kids, too.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think we’ve addressed that on several gun related threads.

The reason I asked, is because you said your wife voted for trump(conservative-typically pro guns) and you were very against trump during the election. I just haven’t heard of many conservative-woman/liberal man combinations. It’s actually statistically rare. Then you say now she regrets voting for Trump who hasn’t changed from day one.

Yeah. I don’t believe you. Like at all.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is incorrect.

In terms of deaths...
    1. LV Shooting
    2. Orlando
    4. Sandy Hook
    5. Sutherland Springs Church
    9. Stoneman Douglas
    10. San Bernardino

All of those were semi automatics. Of the others in the top 10, 2 include events before 1985. One was the UT tower shooting where the shooter was removed and distant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shootings_in_the_United_States

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No we didn't, that's factually inaccurate. There was no decrease in the frequency or lethality of mass shootings according to the series of studies done in 2004 to determine the effectiveness of the assault weapons ban.

As to the "spike" of school shootings since the assault weapons ban was lifted, that is true, but given that we kind of proved that rate and lethality of mass shootings and assault weapons bans weren't correlated earlier, it's kind of pointless to bring this up.

On top of that, like I pointed out earlier, only 3 of the top 10 deadliest school massacres in US history have used assault weapons with the top 2 most deadly school massacres being a bombing in the 20's and the Virginia Tech shooting several years back in which the terrorist used handguns. An assault weapons ban is fashion over function. You ban scary looking guns, but it has no real effect on anything.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The LV shooting wasn't a school massacre, Orlando wasn't a school massacre, Sandy Hook is the 3rd deadliest school massacre in US history, Sutherland Springs church isn't a school, San Bernadino isn't a school (well it is, that's just not where the shooting happened)

The real list is

1. Bath School Bombing 44 dead (dynamite)
    2. Virginia Tech Shooting 32 dead (handgun)
    3. Sandy Hook shooting 27 dead (assault rifle)
    4. UT tower shooting 17 dead (hunting rifle)
    5. Douglas shooting 17 dead (assault rifle)
    6. Columbine shooting 15 dead (Multiple, but shotguns and a semi-automatic tec 9 did the most damage)
    7. Umpqua CC shooting 9 dead (handguns)
    8. Red Lake shooting 9 dead (handguns and shotgun)
    9. Oikos University shooting 8 dead (handgun)
    10. UC-SB shooting 6 dead (knives and handguns)

MadMax likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article201636649.html

^ armed school resource officer was useless, basically.

How is this relevant? Well, surely not all people will act like this. After all, we had unarmed teachers rush to students aid. But many many people will also just fear their own life, and not be that helpful.

In the case of armed teachers, what you might see is teachers using their arms when absolutely forced to, which would be helpful, sure. Killer is coming into the room itself, teacher fires. You aren't likely to see tons of teachers actively hunting down these attackers.

Some defense might be better than none. But at best its a half measure.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That just shows why you need real guards that are held to certain standards and not just one random cop that hangs out on campus sometimes. Having the one random "school resource officer" hanging around is something that schools had 20 years ago and it was not sufficient then either....and we've done nothing in the years since to make things better.

Also, you are right, teachers being armed is a bad idea in most cases.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL, don't believe, I don't care. I have talked about my wife on D&D and often talk about my in-laws (all republicans). We have cancelled each others votes out for the almost 30 years we have been married... in California before, and since moving here to Texas. She is a pre-school teacher at a Christian school (has been for over ten years)... I've posted about that before too... so why would her being a republican be a surprise? Fortunately our two daughters have both followed in their dad's political footsteps, so we are a plus two in D votes. :D

That all said, she is regretting her vote for trump. The insane position about teachers just being the latest reason (his attack on ACA started her unhappiness with Trump as our oldest daughter has a preexisting condition... and I have posted about this often). That and my daughters and I working her over for voting for him.

btw, I suspect there are more couples with different political beliefs... a great example is Mary Matalin and James Carville. And I bet I am less "liberal" and my wife less "conservative" than those two...

Deckard likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Look, they are out gunned, so now Broward County sheriff said deputies will carry AR-15 rifles while on school campuses.

Apparently, Cruz didn't care that armed deputy roam the school. Makes sense, he got AR-15 and the surprise element, and is of course not caring to get out alive.

The image of teachers with AR15.... USA! USA! USA!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...after-failing-to-engage-shooter-idUSKCN1G62X3

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (Reuters) - The armed deputy assigned to the campus of a Florida high school during a deadly shooting last week stayed outside the building during the attack and failed to engage the shooter, the county sheriff said on Thursday.

As a consequence, Scott Peterson, on duty as the school resource officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, resigned from the department, said Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, who earlier has suspended the officer from the force. He did not say if Peterson would face criminal charges.

Israel said he decided to suspend Peterson after viewing a video that showed the deputy’s actions during the rampage that killed 17 people. A former student Nikolas Cruz, 19, is accused of carrying out the attack with an AR-15-style assault weapon.

“What I saw was a deputy arrive at the west side of Building 12, take up a position and he never went in,” said Israel. The building is popularly known as “the freshman building.”

Israel said he would not release the video that shows Peterson’s actions at this time and may never do so, “depending on the prosecution and criminal case.”

Reporting by Bernie Woodall in Fort Lauderdale; Editing by Tom Brown

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that this guy was a coward doesn't mean that armed guards aren't effective.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cruz also knew that the school had an armed resource officer.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So why do other developed countries do not feel the need to arm their schools?

Mr.Scarface likes this.
  20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Because liberals.

tmacfor35 and fchowd0311 like this.