1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Armed Teachers: Yes or No

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Feb 22, 2018.

?

Should we allow teachers to have guns on Campus?

1. Yes - Protection Protection Protection

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. No - More harm than good

98 vote(s)
    85.2%
  3. I don't know

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Even if Russia helped, we still elected Trump, and we might elected him again in 2020 (I hope not, but you never know), this just shows where this country is at.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. cml750

cml750 Member

She is trained as well as a normal civilian can be trained. I support extra training for teachers for these types of situations.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've seen negligent discharges amongst trained Marines in a rifle range.

Now imagine all the NDs when we just have teachers who are armed surrounded by children.

This is just asking for trouble.

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It also could have ended even more lives.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why limit this to schools? What if I’m not a teacher and I want to come to work strapped? You think schools are the only place shootings happen? Do I not have the right to protect myself and coworkers? I’d take the training class of course.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Off topic but found this funny since I just took my CHL and the instructor was an ex marine I believe. His quote "there's no such thing as an accidental discharge, your dumbass had the finger on the trigger. It's a negligent discharge"

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So, after a training class the possibility of an accidental shooting is prevented?

I'd say police officers go though much more rigorous training than a school teacher might...
    http://www.policemag.com/list/tag/accidental-shootings.aspx

Same for our military:
    http://foreignpolicy.com/2011/05/13...he-military-really-doesnt-like-to-talk-about/

http://www.aftermath.com/content/accidental-shooting-deaths-statistics

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teaching is already stressful, and stress tires a person out. Stress, pressure, and fatigue can decrease mental sharpness. Teachers should not be expected or encouraged to carry firearms for protection or any other reason on a campus. It is literally a horrible idea.

Before the Dickey amendment was passed the CDC conducted research that showed homes with firearms in them actually increased the likelihood of homicide. It didn't decrease it and make it safer.

I think the Dickey amendment happened sometime in the 90s. We need to be informed to make informed decisions. The first legislation that should be passed shouldn't be about limiting firearms but it should be to remove the Dickey amendment and get some real research done.

9. cml750

cml750 Member

It also could have prevented it from happening altogether if you want to take that route. Yes, more people could have been killed but the shooter might have thought twice about doing it in the first place had he known there were armed teacher on campus. I believe that if a few of the teachers who died shielding students would have been armed, it would have drastically limited casualties although we will never know for certain.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How many school shooters go into their rampage thinking "I'm getting out of this"?

Infact I garauntee that the vast majoirty of school shooters WELCOME a firefight.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think the people that advocate for teacher's with guns either don't know anything about guns or are just nuts. It would be incredibly difficult for a well trained, experienced shooter to return fire to an AR15 with a handgun in a school setting with that craziness going on around you.

There have been armed officers on campus for some of these shootings and it didn't deter anyone and certainly didn't stop the shooter.

weakfromtoday and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This kind of dumb self-fulfilling fatalism is 1) exactly the opposite of what the Parkland kids have done this week and 2) pretty much exactly what all the Russian assholes and other folks want you to say.

Good post, not the first time I've seen it . Keep posting it, if you want to live in that world.

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What I want to say is I do not trust the judgement of the country as a whole at this moment of time,

https://www.vox.com/2017/10/13/16431502/america-democracy-decline-liberalism

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

One thing I haven't seen anyone address yet too, is how civilians involved in a firefight with a shooter actually makes it more difficult for law enforcement when they arrive on the scene.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Why would he/she? They are carrying as well, right?

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. If there is one armed person on a campus law enforcement knows who the person with a weapon is. If there are 20 or 30 people running around armed law enforcement has to take different measures to ensure safety and proper identification of the suspect.

Add to that that a firefight is different than target practice for many reasons. At the range when someone is down range, people will call out "Down Range" and everyone can place their weapons down with their hands off of them. An armed suspect will be moving around amidst bystanders.

1. It isn't possible to take a shot at the suspect in those cases. Teachers won't be able to determine where all bystanders are located.

2. People miss. Misses will go through walls of t-shacks or possibly other classrooms depending on the materials used. Students hiding may inadvertently put themselves in danger not only from shots fired from the mass shooter but also a dozen armed teachers slinging bullets. Those are extra dangers even if the guns are kept away from students and proper safety measures are taken.

It is an incredibly bad idea that puts more students at risk.

#57 FranchiseBlade, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  18. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

There's a handful of School Officials and Administrators at my school who couldn't be trusted with a butter knife

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Is attempting to make secure entry and exit points with metal detectors not option?? I can see that being a fire hazard possibly..

20. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member