1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upcoming SI story to talk about alleged sexual assault in the Dallas Mavericks organization

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by motleydeflep6, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

99.9% chance that Cuban knew for years that this was going on and looked the other way...i.e. he didn't give a damn and thus was complicit. Adam Silver needs to do whatever it takes to get (or force) Cuban to sell the Mavericks. Shark Tank should also strongly consider severing ties with Cuban. And this should also destroy whatever 2020 Presidential hopes Cuban may have had.

It's highly likely that Carlisle knew for years too. Therefore, he too needs to be on the hot seat.

It's the same story in just about ALL of these sexual harassment/assault cases ranging from sports (Mavs, Baylor) to Hollywood (Weinstein) to the media (NBC, Fox News) to tech (Uber) to politics. In seemingly every single case, it's an open secret. Tons of people knew...and looked the other way. Sadly, I don't see this changing in the long run, despite recent and current public movements. "Business as usual" will prevail.

BigO likes this.
  2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Agreed. I would be talking to HR and various department managers as well as staff trying to find out if there are any issues wrt this and trying to be proactive as best as possible in resolving things.

3. Granville

Granville Member

Maybe you can go explain that to the folks that produce Shart Tank. They seem to prop him up as a business expert. Basketball may be his passion but that doesn't mean he is qualified to run that side of the business. It may be a passion for other owners but most are smart enough to let qualified people run the basketball side.

CometsWin likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not arguing, just saying he's an expert entrepreneur, Venture Capitalist. He's an expert at valuing startups and small companies. But compared to other billionaire NBA owners, he actually has little experience at running day-to-day operations....don't you think.

So back to comments in my first post on previous page, if you were to guess which business man failed to implement safe guards against CEO-level harassment/abuse (who created a culture of suppression of voices), it would be the least experienced one, no? Or Prokhorov who might not even office in NJ/BKN, but he hired a female president, right? I am still skeptical of his claims of being unaware, though.

I am largely saying this not to defend Cuban, as much as I hope this is not rampant throughout the NBA, so the idea that an inexperienced owner might be an exception gives me hope.

#84 heypartner, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    tinman likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If anyone here actually works like me or you brother, upper management usually does not have a clue of what is going on in operations.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think you're over-analyzing. It's not that complicated.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This will distract the Mavs from offering Capela a contract.

Seriously if Clint ends up a Mav. Ugggghhh

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Uhhh.... Have you seen who heads the white house now?

#grabembydapoosay

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How's this for simplicity wrt to whether Cuban was complicit, complacent or innocent:

Pretty sure I was agreeing with you by saying I'm highly skeptical that Cuban was unaware (said that like 3 times already), and he's ultimately responsible (said that once already), especially since no one else can stop a CEO, really. If that's what you mean by not complicated, yeah, I agree.

As for my talk of the inexperience of Cuban vs other owners, that's all just talk surrounding my hopes that this is isolated to a rather unique situation...which is also not that complicated to me.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

DudeWah likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, I get you. I wasn't criticizing. Just commenting that it seemed over analytical.

Even moreso when you factor in other random tidbits and nuggets from Cuban's past - the bar he started in ID that ultimately ran into problems for running a wet tshirt contest that had the winner as a 16 year old girl, pictures you've seen of him with random girls, his "frat boy" background, etc. It's stereotyping of course, but is relevant now given the story that has emerged.

there's no smoking gun yet, so to speak, but we know he knew some stuff, and can make some pretty very well educated guesses as to what else he might/might not have known.

In an earlier post I brought up Alamo Draft House. You can google that situation as well. We're not talking about a guy doing anything illegal, or even being outright complicit in these events/instances. But it is a clear culture of turn your head, look the other way, maintain the status quo, keep lining my pocket books.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  13. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

So rather than hire one of a million other candidates, they just made him sign a "stay away from the women" contract and hired him anyway? That's pretty damning...

BigMaloe and donkeypunch like this.
  14. jbasket

jbasket Member

Now this is a million dollar question I would want to know. Would say volumes perhaps about the character of the Rockets organization.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Wouldn't it be rich if the NBA took away tanking Dallas' 2018 1st round pick as some punishment?

RCPM, BigMaloe and Rockets FTW like this.
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

What a lying scumbag. Ussery’s trying to accuse others and deflect blame from himself by saying the organization didn’t respond to allegations. He’s the CEO, who has more pull than him other than Cuban? He could’ve fired those employees himself. Too bad he was left unchecked for nearly two decades. I’m glad to hear Under Armor didn’t put up with his crap.

I don’t buy that Cuban didn’t know anything. There was already an investigation done on their Ussery for his behavior while Cuban bought the team. How could he not know whether his own CEO was accused of misconduct when he’s that hands on? Who hired the HR director, Pittman, to monitor Ussery in the first place? I doubt Ussery would have agreed to that himself. Of course Cuban’s going to play dumb for now, to admit he knew anything about it would be PR suicide.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban says he's to blame for keeping former employee after domestic violence incidents says it's a "horrible mistake in hindsight."

#98 zeeshan2, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    macho GRANDE, TMac'n and RasaqBoi like this.
  19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Obviously the Mav hired some rejects that failed to learn the true definition of being a "beat writer".

Granville and khanhdum like this.
  20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Wow. Seriously? His excuse was "what if he went to another team and did it again?" Um, if that's what you're scared of then freaking tell the entire league about this dude and get him blacklisted! The dude got the NBA to watch for more Yao Ming offensive fouls in the middle of a playoffs series and can't send one memo out to the league saying "don't hire this dude"? Give me a F'in break.

Deuce, DudeWah, TMac'n and 2 others like this.