1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek : Discovery] : New Star Trek series coming from CBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I liked it.
    I ain't paying for it though
    I think this will be high in the list of most bootlegged shows in the US this year

Rocket River

ATXNekko and Deckard like this.
  2. theimpossibles1

F*** you CBS. I don't even care about this show but the greed here pisses me off. If for some reason people pay for this **** soon every network will have its own streaming service and we are already paying ridicu-ballz amounts for cable.

Netflix, hbo, hulu, prime... They beat you to the punch cbs. If you try to charge us for a cable tv show then soon people will only watch original series from major streaming services.

Greed is going to kill cable.

Side note, trillion dollar idea, make an all inclusive sports streaming service. This is the only reason lots pay for cable anyway. People will pay and it will render espn, fs1, etc etc obsolete.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This take place before TOS. I don't think the Borg are first found until TNG. They are featured TNG and Voyager extensively

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I have a hunch we are going to go full circle and eventually there will be third party services that package all these streaming services in nice affordable bundle of 59.99 with a two year contract.

arno_ed likes this.
  5. Entropy

Entropy Member

I would wholeheartedly recommend DS9. It has great action, characterization, plot, and acting. It leans heavy on politics, philosophy, and even spirituality rather than the usual science aspect. It is the only series in my opinion that nailed it from beginning to end. The others had good beginnings but failed to stick the landing.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

The Borg was on Enterprise too. They were what was left over from the movie First Contact. Damn time traveling Borgs.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

DS9 is the best. It starts a bit slow but builds momentum throughout. At it's peak, no other Star Trek series comes close.
    Voyager is good too, but lighter to digest. IMO, if you have an hour with nothing to do and want to plug in a random episode, Voyager great.

One of my saddest moments ever watching TV is the final few seconds of DS9 when the camera pans away. Realizing it was all over cut me in half. The last 5-10 mins of the final episode almost had me crying.

Another series on par with DS9 is Babylon 5. The first season is boring but it goes to another level beginning with season 2.

8. Buck Turgidson

That's 2x2 for Deep Space 9. I'll check it out this winter.

GRENDEL likes this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The first two episodes are positive proof Discovery is not the giant mistake Enterprise was.

Regarding another comment, I am most definitely NOT a Klingon fan. I'll leave it at that. However, the pre-TOS take of the Klingons along with fresh ideas about them were very good.

Also, Discovery will be moving on to other topics.

Deckard likes this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

HAve the tribbles gotten to the borg yet? That I would pay to see.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Put me firmly in the DS9 camp as well although the first 2 seasons are easily the weakest.

12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Brehs, no need to sweat the paywall. The 2nd episode was on this site the same night it was released... I've also been using it to watch Ballers.

Episode 1
    Episode 2

#112 el gnomo, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It's paying for Extra bags on airplanes all over again

Rocket River

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Original Series is clearly >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...

The newer Treks are solid, but far more dorky. William Shatner brought the Connery 60's shagging life to Star Trek. Dude was cool as hell. And prime Leonard Nimoy as Spock is still the best Trek character ever.

15. Buck Turgidson

Nimoy is awesome...Shatner sucks.

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

But Captain James T. Kirk in his prime is amazing.

17. Buck Turgidson

He is nothing if not hilarious.

[​IMG]

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Once upon a time he was a lady killer, and part of three of the greatest Twilight Zones of all time. Just for those, he is legendary, imo.

MoonBus and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

True that: great stuff!

RudyTBag likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I've said this many times, myself. Problem with this idea is you have to remember that shows back then had 26 freaking episodes per year....lulz

A Texas winter won't be long enough. If you watch 3 hrs / day, it will take you 2 months to go through the whole series. 2 a day = 3 months. A reasonable 1 hr per day will take you a Minnesota Winter of 6 months.

And I even watched the first 3 seasons or so when they came out.

Quick review: I do remember it getting pretty good. And I do want to power through season 3 again to refresh my memory, so I can watch Season 4 for all the hype. Problem with all Star Trek after the original is they all have that B-story thing going in most episodes. Other space Sci-Fi shows that strive for a fully encapsulated plot per episode like Firefly, original Star Trek, Babylon 5 is they don't have a dual plot going on...and I'm not talking about character development. These are actual subplots with a start and ending per episode....a true dual-plot per episode.

DS9 was really bad about that early on. The B-storylines don't have re-watchability. So, when I tried to get through Season 3 again in the past, I just can't do 20 minutes per episode of B-Story lines.

I do really trust @A_3PO's tv recommendations, especially Sci-Fi. So, I'm guesses as the series reaches Best Ever status, as the hype goes, then it focuses more on long story arcs, rather than encapsulated plots....more like the way BSG and The Expanse works ... with more and more episodes having no B-Story, making it richer ... like all the Borg episodes in NextGen....they had no b-story.