1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek : Discovery] : New Star Trek series coming from CBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Only outside of the U.S.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I wonder if you can wait till February after all episodes have been released and just pay for one month while binge watching all the episodes? It seems like you should be able to but I wouldn't put it past 'em to set up a different pricing model for those that come around late. It would be kind of weird to have to pay to access previous months' episodes that have already aired if you do sign up late but it fits their pricing model. Otherwise, they would just be saying...wait till Feb 2018, pay for a month's access, and binge them. Then, cancel. But, that could be true.

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It's very pretty visually but I'm not sure I'm feeling this series so far.

4. Surfguy

5. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

I like it so far. It's all backstory the first 2 episodes. I think everyone who's having a fit is just that annoying nerd at comicon that's being extra.

6. Buck Turgidson

Never been a huge ST fan - outside of Wrath of Khan, which is awesome, and some of the Next Generation - but I was pleasantly surprised by the first 2, especially given that CBS is involved.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I was planning on hating it but I was pretty impressed by the first 2 episodes.

The shocking "twist" to end the second episode was telegraphed pretty early on...I was still disappointed when it happened.

They really should have just popped this on CBS instead of this silly pay for play system. I may wait till the season is done and then just binge it, just pay for a month.

Oh and it looks like you just get a free WEEK of access, not a month.

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I was really excited about watching this last night, and then I saw you have to pay $5.99/month!! GTFO... I didn't even watch it "free trial" style cause I don't want to get sucked into it.

And what are the other benefits...? All the episodes I can handle of Big Bang Theory? The new David Boreanaz show? Young Sheldon?

Hey CBS... **** YOU!

Rocket River likes this.
  9. Surfguy

CBS Tuesday night is where it's at for me (NCIS, Bull, NCIS: New Orleans). Doesn't mean I want to watch the re-runs, though, on All Access.

Does CBS All Access do any original streaming programming besides STD? Or, is it all re-runs from network-aired shows?

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I believe it's reruns plus the new ST and it's aftershow. There is also the Good Wife spinoff "The Good Fight" but that's about it. Not enough for me to spend $$$ just to watch this ST reboot because I can get the missed CBS network shows via on demand.

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

After watching 2 episodes, I'll pass on this series.

This show is trying too hard to pay fan service with the same old Klingon storyline instead of charting a new course with entirely new encounters. Sorry, but we are living in the golden age of television with an over abundance of quality shows and this retread doesn't make the cut in my already long list of must-see TV shows.

Plus, the CBS paywall structure is a huge mistake. If you want my $5.99 then give me all the episodes now so I can binge watch and get over my guilt-shame-disappointment quickly. Nobody is gonna pay 3 months to catch a single series.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have the first episode dvr'ed and haven't watched it, but even though I would love to see another Star Trek series succeed (because I love me some Star Trek), I'm not paying for it.

13. Entropy

Entropy Member

I didn't expect much going into this but it sold me with it's heavy DS9 vibes and the great look to it. Michelle Yeoh and Sonequa Green played their roles beautifully. Not so much digging the "blackerface" look of the Klignons but oh well.

14. Buck Turgidson

If a non-trekkie (but who knows the score) wanted to watch a series beginning to end, which would you recommend?

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Do the Borg still exist in this universe? I always thought they were cool.

16. Buck Turgidson

That's the only part of the bald guy Next Generation that I really liked.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah I haven't watched too much Trek. Some of the original movies and and next gen show/movies. And two of the new movies.

Wasn't there a movie where Picard became one?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I feel the same way, paying more than we really ought to for numerous media streams already. I'm afraid that it'll be as boring as
    Enterprise. Is that even possible? It takes a lot to get me bored with Star Trek. I'll watch it, of course, when I don't have to pay extra to do so. I can wait.

19. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

He was first assimilated during The Next Generation series. The movie you are thinking of is First Contact.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

I thought that was in the TV show?

Long story short, I need these dorks to tell me what to watch.