1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 100% trying to get Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

FIFY :D

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Paul George is pulling a Melo by having a one-team shopping list.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  3. lionaire

lionaire Member

Whats the point of giving up assets when they could've kept all they had and just waited for summer '18?

Are they fearful that PG might like where he's at if he gets traded elsewhere and decides to stay there?

da_juice likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's my point. He is pulling a Melo, unnecessarily depleting his future team's assets when he could have just waited one year and signed with them.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He didn't ask the pacers to trade him.

According to woj his preference is actually to stay in Indiana this year and then just leave as a free agent. He told Indy he was leaving so they didn't make a bunch of moves trying to build around him. He did it out of respect for the franchise, not to get traded

Easy likes this.
  6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

They need to clear cap space to try and land PG and Lebron next year.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

A year is a very long time. Lots of things can change. Lakers can show themselves to be incompetent. Other superstars may take themselves out of the running.

More importantly, if we acquire George and - for example - take the Warriors to 6-7 games, there is absolutely no chance he joins the Lakers no matter what he verbally promised them. To further illustrate how long a year is - imagine Durant or Curry go down in the first round of the playoffs. Suddenly, we are the favorites and have an exponentially bigger chance of winning it all.

They are stupid if they wait. Somehow, they convinced this guy's agent that he should commit to a team a year in advance. They need to cash in on it. What the Rockets, Cavs or Celtics are willing/able to offer for a 1 year rental is easily beatable and they would have never dreamed of acquiring a star so cheap. If they are smart, they will up their offer. I feel like they will be stupid about it, or there is major corruption going on behind the scenes.

Indiana is feeling screwed. They stuck with him last summer. You better believe they will trade him to whichever team offers even a slightly better package.

lionaire likes this.
  8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Rockets can top 27/28/Clarkson with ease. It's all about whether DM wants to make the move.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

a lot of team can top that but only one team can do it w/o losing anything and that team is the lakers

unless we can trade ryan and a future 2nd or some trash filler for pg, then i dont want a one year rental.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

lol yeah right, he wants to chill for a year, clear his desk, and play some mildly competitive basketball. How the hell does that benefit Indiana if it's now public. There are only 4 people who can leak that information - him, his agent, the owner and the GM. Pacers have no incentive to leak it. Obviously, George or his agent did it, and they knew it would nuke his trade value and force them to trade him.

The whole thing about him not requesting a trade is just his PR people doing work.

Easy, joshuaao and TheresTheDagger like this.
  11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We not getting him the Lakers will get him.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Teams will learn, in time, to handle the situation like Utah did with Deron Williams. If you're not a marquee destination and not currently a contender, don't waste your time. Get maximum return well in advance.

justtxyank likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They made a huge mistake not trading him at the deadline

15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Shoulda traded to rockets 2 years ago for dmo and jason "jet" terry

16. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

The Lakers about to get George for 27/28 + Randle..Morey were u at cuh?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Again, nothing new.

Nate Taylor:

18:40ish http://www.theticketmiami.com/media/audio-channel/6-20-17-ethan-skolnick-full-showmp3

Would you expect him to end up a Laker by the end of this week?

It's becoming more probable. I don't know how realistic it is. As of right now, Pritchard is asking for the #2 pick. ... The Houston Rockets are still involved, Portland could be a dark horse & Miami hasn't been mentioned yet but we still have until Thursday's draft to get a deal done so the Pacers can move on. Pat Riley has been known to do a bold move. If you're a Heat fan, it's still a possibility. It's one of the destinations where if you let Paul play there a year, you can call Magic & Rob and say "Hey, if I trade him there, he may never come to LA." That's the only leverage Pritchard has right now.

Anything Larry Bird could have done?

Larry never wanted to trade Paul. He drafted & developed him. Larry had a chance in February when Boston said here are some assets & Larry said no. ... Larry was never going to trade Paul as long as he was in charge of basketball operations.

What are the Pacers looking for? From a Heat perspective, would something like Winslow, Ty.Johnson & McRoberts interest them at all? Will Indiana get better offers?

It's an intriguing offer. Only thing that hurts Miami is future picks. If you're the Heat, I think Winslow will be good one day. Contractually, you need someone to match George's contract. If the Miami want to consider them contenders for free agency, you need a player of George's caliber. Heat are a dark horse.

If George goes to Cleveland, do the Pacers want Love & is Cleveland a threat to Golden State?

They are a threat if George is there but no one from the Pacers perspective has told me Love is in their plans. You'd need a third team if Cleveland gets involved.

With Paul George as your best player, how far can you go?

I would say Conference Finals.

Best guess, start of the season, is George in the East or West?

Western Conference. I really think & I'm gonna go dark, I think his agent has squeezed both organizations. I think we end up with George in LA. The agent has made it clear where he & his client want to go.

DonKnock and Vivi like this.
  18. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

Is it possible the lakers acquired Brook just to trade him for PG?

19. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

< just got trolled by a fake title on r/nba

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I don't know. I can see taking a risk on a rental, but only if you can remain competitive enough to have a reasonable chance of keeping PG in a year. What deal would you offer, and where would that leave the roster?