1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Progs

Progs Member

Shane Baz or Adam Haseley if they drop to 15.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

BTW, Perfect Game's Top 500 list is complete. It is behind a $200/year paywall, but it's worth it.

No Worries likes this.
  3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

What is the group's opinion on drafting "pure hitters"? The label implies a lack of power (e.g. Colin Moran) or needing to grow into power (e.g. Kyle Tucker).

I ask because it sounds like Keston Hiura (2B, UC-Irvine) is one of the class's pure hitters and he's been linked to the Astros. He may be one of the more pure hitters in the class but he has some decently big flaws (currently no defensive home and probably needing Tommy John after drafting).

Is the hit tool enough to draft someone on? Remember that's basically all Colin Moran had. I remember there being stories of pro-scouts saying something like "THAT guy went 6th overall? Wait he was in contention for the #1 overall pick?"

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Every time the draft comes around, I find myself thinking "pitching, pitching, pitching", then I remember Mark Appel.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Like everything else, it depends on how good the "hit" tool is.

A player doesn't need to have 20+ homer power if his hit tool is good enough.

What you want to avoid is where Alex Bregman is right now, his "hit" tool isn't yielding a high average and he isnt getting you extra base hits.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I much prefer no-power, pure hitter to the all-power, no-hit guy, but typically depends on other factors when comparing the two. That said, I've noticed I like the contact guys more than most people and I tend to like the all-power guys (except when they get a lot of walks) less than most people.

"THAT guy went 6th overall? Wait he was in contention for the #1 overall pick?"...well he has done a lot better than the number 1 overall pick. Just saying.

raining threes likes this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

When you compare the NFL draft photo against the MLB draft photo, you almost have to laugh, I mean we are in the year 2017 and they can't figure it out. Baseball just doesn't understand how to market the product to the fans.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

June 12, 2017. Pace yourself ;)

10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

There is some truth to this. However, it's nearly impossible to expect the average sports fan (most average sports fan have an interest in the NFL draft and will watch it live) to be interested in the MLB draft when the vast majority of 1st round picks won't even make their major league debut for anywhere from 2-4 years after the draft and when a decent amount won't ever make a MLB debut. I think it's just the nature of the development process in the MLB compared to the NFL that makes the MLB draft much less interesting to the average sports fan.

11. Buck Turgidson

Yes, I thought this was pretty much common knowledge.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That's like a worst case scenario for me. All the guys I want went ahead (Baz, Kendell, Hall) and the guys I don't want fell (Peterson, Pratto).

14. Progs

Progs Member

What these mock drafts can't predict is what player or two will drop to Houston at 15 because of signing issues or savings. Whitley & Rutherford drop to the Astros pick last year. I keep hearing Baz will drop because of his commitment with TCU unless a home team like the Astros draft him or he goes in the top 5.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Still holding out hope for Baz, Kendall, or Beck at 15. Taking a low ceiling college bat like Burger would be a bummer.

16. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Is Burger that bad? His numbers look pretty stellar even though he's not playing in a top conference. Looks like he's got big power and control of the strike zone.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/2/20/14651198/jake-burger-scouting-report-2017-mlb-draft

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2017/4/26/15437402/2017-mlb-draft-profile-jake-burger-3b-uva

#136 Yaosthirdleg, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  17. Buck Turgidson

Nobody knows.

18. Progs

Progs Member

I've seen enough of David Peterson to sour as well. I'm thinking
    The Houston Astros mindset, maybe different than some other MLB teams. Their approach maybe is you can't never have too much hitting. With shifting and pitchers having more advantages than hitters these days.

19. Progs

Progs Member

Kendall ?! That dude strikes out quite a bit! He reminds me of Jason Martin. Griffin Canning is another player who thevAstros may like. I'm still hoping Adam Haseley drops to 15.