1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson makes $18.74 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Pride, Nov 16, 2016.

1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Come on man. What's next? Harden zipping up his left one?

J.R. likes this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Ryan Anderson gonna show up to practice tomorrow like:

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Mr streaky and incosistend at all omg
    1/10 o_O:eek::mad: and making all this money
    Yes he let jaymyscahl green or something to explode and have career year.

Same for Ariza man oh imagine if they both shoot averagely.

We are gonna be scary and unstopabble.

ak99999 likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Well Ryan Anderson averages about 40%, so if he is having big off nights that means he's also having big ON nights. So if you want him to shoot more consistently (meaning, less deviation from the mean on a game to game basis), then some of his best games will disappear too, which in many cases helped us win.

Unless you mean he should keep all his big nights, and on his worst shooting nights he should shoot his average, in which case you're asking him to shoot over 45-50% which is ridiculous considering he takes 7 attempts a game. If he could do that, he would have been offered 30m last summer.

Anderson did his job tonight. He is not a good defender or rebounder, not a dime of his money is based on rebounding or defending. What he's here for is SPACING only. Everything else, we already know he's not even going to be average at, and the Rockets knew it the day they signed him. The Grizzlies guarded him well all the way out to 30 feet, which created space for us to carve them up through drives and other perimeter shooters. He did his job beautifully, and I actually feel bad for you because you don't see how this brilliant dynamic is working.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Mathloom is there any truth to the argument that his ON nights are mostly in 'garbage' time when we are down a lot of points and similar?

6. omgTHEpotential

I always prefer 3pt shooters who can hit 40% every single night and you can count on them. As opposed to hitting 65% one night, and 15% the other. You can say that the average is still the same, but I think that consistency brings more wins.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I have no idea, but doesn't pass the eye test.

I also didn't know that scoring when the team is down a lot of points is a bad thing. Anderson doesn't typically play if the game has already been decided.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. jaychi

jaychi Member

i think his problem is his shot mechanics. I don't understand he makes unnecessary movements after he shoots.I hope the coaching staff addresses this. he makes good in his free throws because he is just stationary. i know this maybe be unnoticeable for some but for me it is a factor

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

But it would bring more losses as well obviously. If the nights when he's shooting 65% drops to 40%, we will lose games.

More importantly, I can't think of more than 3 shooters in the entire NBA who take 7+ attempts and are consistent in the way you're describing. It's probably the nature of shooting. I bet Ryan can hit 40% more consistently if he were taking 4-5 attempts.

The important thing about him is, every single night without fail, teams respect him as a 40% shooter. That's the consistency we paid for. Teams don't start leaving Anderson open even if he misses 5 in a row, they know him. Every night, his defender has to choose whether to leave the middle exposed by guarding Anderson at 25 feet from the basket or allow Anderson to sink them.

It would be easier on our nerves if he deviated less from the mean, but there is an overarching consistency that is more valuable - 3,000 attempts over 9 years at 38% - which helps us so much that it dwarfs his game to game consistency. Teams see him as 38% over 9 years, they don't see him as his last off night.

8 out of his 9 seasons have been between 36.5% and 40.9%. That is an extreme form of consistency. I would argue that the only people more consistent at the same volume are Klay Thompson and Steph Curry, which is not a realistic comparison. Isaiah Thomas, Bradley Beal, Damian Lillard, Kyle Lowry. These are the guys shooting similar volumes and they are not more consistent than Anderson.

We have to be realistic about what we HAD TO overpay to get. It's working very well, it's delivering exactly what we expected. We have the best shooting PF in the league - unless you count Durant as a PF - and we overpaid by a few million tops. Put Anderson on the open market today, he gets $80/4 again, guaranteed. Again, I do wish he were a bit more consistent for the sake of my sanity, but we can't say it's not working like a miracle. We're the 3rd best team in the NBA, this team is overachieving with Anderson starting. Our PF can only do one thing, but he does that thing extremely well. Let's celebrate man.

Deuce, Os Trigonum, Voltik and 4 others like this.
  10. omgTHEpotential

I can't really argue with that.

Mathloom, Os Trigonum and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Not only that but he shoots it deep too much. I'm like, if he take a few steps forward, it's a good chance he makes more. But good lawdyyy why 30' all the times. Sometimes Gordon falls in love with the 30' bomb as well. Thus the reason why he went into that slump.

But hey I'm not complaining because both of them brings that 6th man to the equation. " The Spacing"

#1071 Htownballer38, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  12. eman

eman Contributing Member

I have not seen his 3pt% tabulated at home vs. away; just seems like he shoots a little bit flatter and worse at home. Maybe he needs a new bed, or a quieter place to sleep, or something. What other variable could he adjust?

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

It's harder to shoot at Toyota Center, need to lose the neon around the upper level.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

His minutes should drastically be reduced at home. He can't shoot at toyota center.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Give them to Dekker and Harrell?

Rocket River

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not really sure if he would shoot any better were his attempts to come closer to the rim...also, in the first half of the season it seemed it doesnt even mater if he s open or covered

Htownballer38 likes this.
  17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

We will need Ryan Anderson, but he should not finish game if he has an off night. DAntoni has been putting him to finish games even if he is not doing it. Most likely DAntoni gives veterans playing time no matter how they do in the game like Corey Brewer. It is inexplicable he has dramatic different numbers at Toy center. I believe in the playoffs, his numbers should improve. He can't get that bad the whole year.

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

Wow his splits are still horrendous.

Home 31.6% from 3. 11.0 points
    Away 47.2% from 3. 16.8 points

His FTs are 76.6% at home, 92.2% away.

Maybe he should come off the bench at home.

Deuce, heypartner and Htownballer38 like this.
  19. omgTHEpotential

Wow, that's bizarre.

20. micah1j

micah1j Member

I looked at how he did at Toyota Center in the past

15-16: 2-7 and 3-9 on 3s
    14-15: 2-7 and 1-3 on 3s
    13-14: 3-8 on 3s
    12-13: 2-8 and 2-10 on 3s

Overall 15-52 for 28.8%

He still scored well but took many more 2 pointers.