1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNN's Home Page Right Now

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Aug 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

LOL....Amazing and trypical.... Ladies and Gentlemen...Fake News at its finest...Completely fabricated and incorrect, but that does not stop @Sweet Lou 4 2 from posting it.

cml750 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It's OK because he is smarter than everyone else.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That guy is a complete joke for reasons that extend well beyond his foolish political beliefs. Absolutely not worth anyone's time.

cml750 likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Case in point: another very angry white man

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only a liberal rag magazine would report about those trashy people.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Facts do seem to have an increasingly liberal bias in today's post factual world.

joshuaao likes this.
  7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Daily reminder that CNN is very fake news!!!!!!!!!!

cml750 likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Because they made Trump lie again about the electoral results?

Face it, your boy is softer than charmin.

9. conquistador#11

we have alternate truths. I wish we had alternate realities were trump was a democrat just to see if conservatives would be ok with some of the shenanigans by a "leader" of the people.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So Cousins wasn't traded?

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

At least Trump's VP understands how to frame the issue: when a news organization puts out false or misleading statements, they should be called out on it. But just applying the label "fake news" without actually pointing out the problem doesn't solve anything and is also not the least bit persuasive. It's just a way of riling up the base.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The way the right is trying to blur the term "fake news" to include bad reporting mistaken reporting, biased reporting, etc etc, imo makes them complicit in its dissemination.

Fake news is something very specific. I've yet to see a single right winger use the term correctly, and beyond the useful idiots just parroting what they hear on the radio, I have to believe that is intentional.

If you believe reporting is biased or whatever, there are other equally derogatory terms that actually mean what you are trying to convey. Weekly World News is fake news. A biased hit piece on Trump is not. It's a biased hit piece or bad reporting or unethical journalism or whatever.

#232 Ottomaton, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    mtbrays, prohibido and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very well said.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny how certain people make excuses for "fake news" when it is aligned with their political beliefs but hammer it when it is counter to their political beliefs. It's the kind of hypocrisy that we can expect from partisans of all types.

cml750 and Space Ghost like this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Or that "FakeNews" means whatever they want it to mean at the time. The definition of what qualifies as Fake is subjective at the moment and is being used for anything that you don't have a answer against.

We had years of InfoWars type of blogs out there about things like Obama preparing for Marshall Law & how he's secretly a demon who smells like sulphur being called fake news (deservingly) and then you have a CNN report about the cost of the protecting the President on his trips to Mar A Lago being called fake news by Trump surrogates on the Right at the same time.

I don't really want to pick sides here because the term fake news just needs to be dropped altogether but one side seems to be running a little more crazy with the term than the other, but yes EVERYONE just need to STFU about fake news b****ing, and there is hypocrisy on both side I do agree. If all you got a response to a sourced and reputable source is Fake News, then you have no credibility. People AND the media should be held accountable and people need to be more educated ON THE FACTS and have the knowledge to check the sourcing on every report before they uphold it as fact, or denounce it as fake.

Space Ghost likes this.
  16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, there are plenty of words that are equally as bad as "fake news" that describe some of the things that right wingers are alleging.

If a reporter sits in front of a computer and makes up a completely fictional story out of thin air, that is fake news.

If a reporter gets a story from a single, biased source, likevsome mid level guy in the CIA with an ax to grind and that source isn't properly and fully vetted because the reporter wants to believe the source and gets really excited because they think it will help their career, that is shoddy, unethical journalism, you could even call it professional negligence, which in some ways is a nastier term than fake news. But it is not fake news because the news started with an actual source.

It becomes a little hazy when you start using tinfoil hat crackpots that reasonable people should be able to see as. wildly non-credable sources on the face of it. Outside of that there is no grey area. Fake news is news made up inside a so-called reporter's head out of thin air.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'm right there with you there is hypocrisy on both sides and I've heard it all before. We had people claiming that Dubya planned 9-11 before we had people claiming that Obama was going to use the military to take over which was before we had people claiming that Trump is going to suspend democracy and become a dictator.

In fact, it's sheer hypocrisy for someone like CNN to try and harp on "fake news" when they are every bit as guilty of it as anyone else. I mean, we do remember times when they took a press conference of someone telling people to go into white neighborhoods and riot instead of rioting in the black neighborhoods....and that was edited to be a "call for peace". No one has a spotless record on "fake news" because let's face it, the modern day media is a disgrace. As such, they all live in glass houses, there shouldn't be rocks thrown about.

That said, you are right, those who are calling legit stories "fake news" simply because they are unflattering to politicians they like is ridiculous.

cml750 likes this.
  18. dobro1229

But I have to add though that despite the problems with the media, It's totally dangerous for a politician to be doing what Trump is doing now with his campaign against the media (that he doesn't like). Frankly because he's in bad company with Authoritarian world leaders of the past that started doing the exact same thing. Where it will get serious though is when those words lead to action... or further action. It should be noted that Peter Thiel and his lawyers are solely responsible for bringing down Gawker a few years ago, and Thiel is very close to Trump and his lawyers are already hard at work with Melania working on her defamation case I believe against The Daily Mail. The big one will be seeing what Trump does with his involvement with the merger with Time Warner and ATT. Thats a big one to watch if you really care about Govt getting involved in muzzling CNN.

All of this is to say that its unsettling IF Trump is truly out to suppress Freedom of the Press, or if he's just trying to play the greatest hits off the Authoritarian playlist. The Press is vital to our democracy even if they can't be trusted all the time. Need I remind Trump fans that The "Failing" New York Times (Trumps favorite punching bag) broke the Hillary private server news, as well as gave whistle blowers in the Obama era a platform which led to the rise of Wikileaks. I believe they carried the Chelsea Manning story before anyone else and Obama pursued litigation against some of their reporters which was controversial in its own right.

So fake news blogs or respected major network with reliable sources.... I agree they both have issues, but I'll continue to tell people on both sides to be annoyed and critique all you want, but its in your best interest to keep the president away from our free press, and condone the government intervening in any way. Trump needs to let his buddie Alex Jones or the pedophile advocate Milo fight against the media for him. Because its out of line for him to involve himself in that discussion just as other world leaders and even Democrats should also be critiqued if they step on the freedom of the press themselves. Its a two way street that most right wingers don't consider right now at this second.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I completely agree. Fake news is just a buzz word at the moment. The word is being abused by both sides and both sides are guilty of the allegations.

Very few want to suppress the free press. There was a time when the media, for the most part, policed their own. There was integrity. Producing reliable loyal readership was the goal. However subscription is a thing of the past; Its all about website hits for ad revenue. Sites are not concerned about the content, only the number of times their page gets hit. With amateur blogs/websites now turning into 'go-to' information sources, the mainstream media is being forced to succumb to their tactics.

One of the biggest issues is subjective journalism. For example, there has been a huge rise in the ".... may have violated ..." or other keywords like 'death panels' or 'muslim ban' or other catchy echo chamber phrases. People find this subjective journalism cute, but the problem is that it washes out the true nature of the subject.

cml750 likes this.
  20. dobro1229

I agree to an extent but have to offer a retort in a few items just to expand on how I feel about the subject. The system now isn't perfect (mainstream media needing to appeal to their base) but it's what we got to keep the power at check. For instance the Michael Flynn scandal. If NYT/WaPo were writing a fake story, why would Trump have fired Flynn? Maybe it's sensationalized to appeal more to one side but there is truth in the reporting it still needs to be there untainted by the powers that be.

Fox and Breitbart will sure as hell want to have journalistic freedom if Trump loses in 2020 to be an adversary to the Dem president. Funny thing is though, very few real Dem scandals have been broke by the Foxes of the media. Most scandals seem to get broke by media sources most conservatives would call liberal. Newsweek (considered left leaning) reported the first Monica Lewinsky tapes for example.

You said that very few want to suppress the free press.... I'm not entirely sure of that with Peter Thiel by Trumps side IF he pursues litigation, and Trumps followers probably don't believe that they have benefited at all from a free press in decades(again another one...NYT broke the Hillary email scandal).

So to wrap up though .... Litigation is where Trumps words turn into something far more damning to our democracy. Melania is already filing suit against the Daily Mail so I'm not so positive that nobody (or the most important person in this case) doesn't have his eyes set on suppressing the press. Hell he says it in his own words from the pres pulpit for crying out loud.

I just want folks on the right to realize what kind of fire they are dealing with here if they continue to embrace these radical changes in our democracy because they feel it suits Trump and them here and now. Just like with the Russian hacking, it will be them somebody eating their own sh$& sandwich they made thinking that it was just made for "the enemy".

And I want my friends on the left and moderate middle to make sure they continue to push for quality sources and don't just spout off sensationalized headlines that confirm the rights current preconception of the left and the current vilification they are receiving from Trump followed because we know those people are looking for an enemy. Don't give them one... arm yourself with the facts.