1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are there moderate conservatives on this board?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Apparently, based upon your posting history, you support candidates and a party that do not align with your beliefs. Further evidence of people voting against their own best interests. Sad.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Or you simply struggle with reading comprehension. Further proof of "if you're not with me, you're with them" mentality. I have been relentless in stating both parties are no different from each other. All you are looking for is further support in your echo chamber.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If the post I quoted indicated the accurate results you scored on that quiz, then your posting history does not correlate with that score. If you can not see nor acknowledge that inconsistency, then you are as delusional as many others on this board intimate. You space ghosted yourself...

4. Space Ghost

You are correct. Nobody is here to get better perspective of politics or whatever is being discussed in attempts to have their positions swayed.

What happens is people get caught up in their own echo chambers. In an environment like this, its pack mentality. If they disagree with someone in their own pack, they will not speak out against them. But if someone on the other side misspeaks, they are at the front tearing them a new hole.

I had a friend, who before Trump ran for office, largely shared the same views with me. Once Trump became the nomination, she got caught up into serious Trump hate and the misogynist allegations. Policies that she once disagreed with Obama are now the greatest policies ever.

The problem with the echo chamber, which consists of both sides, is that people are too afraid to acknowledge good policy or a good job well done from the other party in fear of retribution from their peers.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So of those that did the survey there isn't anyone that is very far to the right on this board.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good post. I do think, however, that there are people who are more open to other perspectives and perhaps having their mind changed then others. I wouldn't say everyone here is on the same level, in that regard. For the most part, though, yes the agenda of people here is to ridicule or (for the more sophisticated) outmatch the other side through argumentation, rather than to just survey and digest the range of opinions out there.

7. Space Ghost

Hate the quiz, not the poster. I only bubbled in my opinions.

You are one of the most black/white either/or people here. I am the opposite. You only choose what you want to see. What you want to see is for me to rally behind all the nonsensical Trump hate. Simply because I am not insulting Trump non stop makes me a fraud? You want me to go in great lengths of how Trump never cared to be president until recently, and thats only because he wants to line his pockets? Or that he is a Putin puppet? Or that I should vocally hate Russia because we've had a piss poor relationship with them over the last eight years? You want me to go on how Trump is a racist, misogynist and xenophobe? Lets not forget Trump and his prostitutes pissing on a bed in Moscow because he hated Obama so much.

I have stated building the wall is pointless and a waste of money and it probably wont happen. I have also stated prosecuting Hillary should not happen and will not happen. Further, I have also admitted that I am not as smart as all of you on the left and do not fully understand all of his cabinet positions and all of their covert attempts to make billions for them and the Russians.

Im apologize I refuse to join you and your obtuse friends in your sad little echo chamber.

8. Space Ghost

So far Robbie380 is the most extreme right.

And they still do not understand why Hillary lost.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I took that quiz, and it pegged me as a left-leaning centrist.

I think the way its setup -- asking what are complicated questions and only providing yes/no/maybe as answers, that will result in people (at least the type of people who'd bother to take such a quiz) being clustered in the center. The thing is -- "maybe" can mean vastly different things to different people.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's true, and nothing is going to be perfect but I think a good one can get fairly close to the ballpark.

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't tell me what to do, whitey.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's it, I'm breeding you out of existence.

13. Space Ghost

That quiz sucked and was a waste of time.

The other quiz was much more intuitive. However I did not like how some of the questions were worded.

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

[​IMG]

Your best fit is...
    Business Conservative
    along with 10% of the public.

[​IMG]

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I believe I am. I have taken many stances against things that Republicans support, and have said for many years that 'conservative' and 'Republican' are no longer synonymous. I have a pragmatic approach that tends to lean toward conservative ideas, but not exclusively. If something works, I'm for it...I don't particularly care whose idea it was.

I also try to look at what someone with an opposing viewpoint actually says, and discuss it with them rationally. I have in fact had my mind changed a couple times in such discussions.

Be interested in other's opinion on this. I think any on the left who have actually tried to engage me in a discussion, as opposed to a shouting match, will agree with me, but who knows. It is hard to convince anyone who has a different opinion that you are actually 'moderate'.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I used to be one, now I am more libertarian leaning.

DD

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hell I even voted for Hillary even though she sucks. Trump irritated me more, but I'm giving him a chance. I think I even voted for more democrats than I did republicans.

For whatever that little quiz was worth it put me closer to the libertarian category based on the results of other people. I guess that's closer to how I feel about certain things but I'm certainly not libertarian. I just try to be pragmatic and realistic and go with what the information shows rather than what I want it to show.

18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

My
    political views

First Quiz: [​IMG]

Second Quiz
    :
    According to @pewresearch, I'm a Business Conservative. http://pewrsr.ch/1iJDRCv

Third Quiz:
    [​IMG]

Interesting, wouldn't have expected to be left leaning. Went back to see if I would change any of my answers, but didn't find any I would.

#138 BigDog63, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

fwiw, I think you're among the most consistent without bleeding into partisan lines.

I don't like those polls because the questions are too binary. I believe in fostering diversity and entrepreneurship but aren't fervent in applying the ideas to its extremes.

There is some selfish motivation for supporting the poor and destitute as I don't want them to overrun the streets we share, but I will personally try to connect with my own time rather than being out of touch or above it all.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Cognitive dissonance. Which is probably present in politics more than it is anywhere else. People tend to group together in their own echo chambers, and they get very uncomfortable when their personal beliefs are challenged...causing them to become angry, or to move to a group that better reflects their own beliefs/behaviors.
    Cognitive dissonance explains most posts in any political forum. To the point where posts that don't exhibit it are assumed outliers: ie, those posters are the ones who are 'out of touch with reality'. Which is ironic as heck, because its really exactly the opposite.