1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump cabinet selections and appointments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He excluded defense from that remark. Read it again.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://thefederalist.com/2016/12/02/served-james-mattis-heres-learned/

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. The Stig

The Stig Member

General consensus of the Mattis pick is positive? Or negative? I can't really tell.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don't know anything about the general. But on the surface and relative to the other appts, it's positive. The bar is just low with Trump. If it's not outrageous, it's probably positive.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's the Bush era all over again.

His supporters conveniently forgot that mess.

Looks they're taking the same roofies to dull the pain.

Deckard likes this.
  7. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Nah... everyone knows that the tears of the liberals who have been obnoxiously flaunting their political dominance for the last 8 years are the ultimate pain reliever... so sweet.

You guys are making conservatives who couldn't stand Trump love the guy with all your whining.... it is an awesome sight to behold.

8. Invisible Fan

I wouldn't call the last 8 years political dominance.

Maybe that's why both sides are miserable and angry right now.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Awesome. Your perception of the other side suffering is more important than what's beneficial for you.

RocketWalta and Deckard like this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Chris Christie's name is being floated as the new head of the Republican National Committee (RNC), replacing Reince Priebus. This looks like a very excellent pick. I certainly cannot think of anyone better.

Christie does not appear to be a lock for the job at this point. However, he did help Trump a lot on the campaign trail early on. Surely Trump is not going to forget that now. Is he?

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I kind of like Mattis, or at least the image he has created of Mattis. My FB friends who are ex-Marines love the guy and would run through walls for him.

And that is one reason I can't get behind this pick.

We have civilian control of the military for a reason. In 1947, when Congress did away with the War Department and created DOD, they were informed by the horrors of WWII. Here is what Congress said at the time:

[It is the] ...sense of the Congress that after General Marshall leaves the office of Secretary of Defense, no additional appointments of military men to that office shall be approved.

The Military Times writes today:

The principle of civilian control of the military is anchored in the belief in a balance of power. It sets the U.S. and other democracies apart from countries where militaries plot coups to overturn governments.

It ensures, said Spencer Meredith, an associate professor at the National Defense University, that the military is just one tool an administration can use in conflict so it isn't fighting constant and even needless wars.

Going back further:

Even when there is a necessity of the military power, within a land, a wise and prudent people will always have a watchful and jealous eye over it. - Samuel Adams

Additionally, in The Federalist Papers, Hamilton and Madison came back repeatedly to the subject of an out-of-control military.

Civilian control is one of the foundational principles of liberal (little L) democracies and one that has a long history in this country. Yet it is also one of those principles that is not clearly defined. Over the years, we have depended on the good intentions of people from both the military and the parties to not step over the line.

Mattis may end up being great, but it is still a precedent I don't want to see set.

12. dmoneybangbang

Sounds like he's ripping over 50 years of middle eastern foreign policy.

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Maybe it needs to be ripped.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Certainly understand the concern, rimrocker, but again, Trump could have done far worse than Mattis. The man is deeply experienced and pragmatic, and based on the people that Trump has picked for other key positions, Mattis is a big improvement and appears to me to be someone who wouldn't hesitant to tell the man, "Uh, Mr. President, I think that is a really, really bad idea." The Chump needs people like that around him. He's already surrounded by sycophants. Using the waiver is rare. I'd support it in this case.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I don't mean to brag, but I've grabbed some p***y in my day. . . . And Nikki Haley has Cab Lev Puss!
    Even being Mexican. La pussijio grabolo. . . .
    Bolton's p***y sucks Dude. Trust me.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The misogyny of the left, pathetically on display, yet again.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

:eek: I said her p***y COULD be grabbed.

MEAN.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Hillary could have ran with an 'R' next to her name and it would be the Bush era all over again. #teampolitics

19. Invisible Fan

You keep repeating that whopper of yours looking for bites eh? Care to explain?

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What is there to explain? Both sides will vote for whatever candidate will be on their ticket, regardless of how good or bad. And both sides will talk about how awful the other candidate is, regardless of policy.

The left talked about how bad the Republicans were for being bought out by big money, yet they elected Hillary over Bernie.
    The right talks about how Christian morals are so important, yet they elect Trump over Rubio and Cruz.

What is so hard to understand that its not about policies or beliefs, but about team sports. "As long as my team wins, thats all that matters".