1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, Russians Committed Espionage to give the Presidency to Its Stooge, and We're Just Gonna Take It?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It really isn't about Russia. It's about the fact that Hillary lost and some people need a scapegoat for that. It's much easier for some to blame Russia hacking the DNC and airing their dirty laundry or some idea that "fake news" is to blame than it is to admit that your party nominated a terrible candidate that the country flatly rejected in favor of a complete buffoon.

If Russia had hacked the RNC, we wouldn't hear Democrats crying about it.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

But.. it's exactly about Russia. You and others try to frame it as crying over spilled milk -- a foreign government -who we historically have been at odds with- hacked a national party in order to help the rival party get elected. And now the elected party is promoting pro-Russian policies and people friendly to them. For me, that is NOT okay no matter who it favored -- I don't understand why it isn't for you and others.

If North Korea hacked the RNC and Donald Trump's closest aides -- which would no doubt reveal unflattering and damaging information about both the RNC and Trump -- and then Clinton won the election and started saying how we should be more friendly with N. Korea and putting people in power who have ties to North Korea -- yes, I think absolutely democrats should and would raise their concerns.

This isn't about party affiliation to me -- this is about stopping and punishing foreign governments from interfering in our elections. That's **** that WE do, not **** we have done to us! This is 'Merica god damnit!

Deckard and JeffB like this.
  3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Putin won. Trump will be president and pro-Russia/pro-Putin people are getting positions in our government. And since Putin's victory benefits the RNC, yes, the collective "we" are just gonna take it. Party over country.

Deckard likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't like THAT it happened, but that's not why Hillary lost the election.....and that's what people are actually upset about. Russians and Chinese have been hacking Americans for years and no one cared. Let it harm the DNC and now it's a disaster.

Now, should the US step up cyber security efforts in order to punish those who would do things like this? Absolutely, but the Russians didn't get Trump elected so that narrative just needs to die.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My personal opinion on the subject is that Trump has had ties to the Russian mob for decades. When you have friends like that, they tend to help you out when you are running for president. Lord knows the Italian mafia did everything in their power to help Kennedy out.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

More like "Party over, Country"

American Exceptionalism is well and truly dead if what appears to be happening is happening and we become just a shitty two bit klepto-oligarchy.

I liked to be able to have the debate about America's role in the world, regardless of how true any of it actually was.

Under Trumpism, it's ironic that most people became sold on it cause they kind of want to go back to a nostalgic version of the 1950's, except for the fact that there's a big missing piece - the US no longer is the self appointed beacon of freedom and instead seeks to roll it back domestically and let it die abroad.

**** that ****, and it's not trolling to say that.

Deckard, Shroopy2 and JeffB like this.
  7. SamFisher

Except that neither Bill Clinton nor Sly Stallone was a paid to shill for Putin TV's "birthday" and neither was given the highest national security posting afterwards.

You are a master of the monkey **** of a football flavor of bad analogy.

"Yes your honor, my client Mr. Simpson was caught with a bloody glove and the DNA matched...but LOOK, Burr shot Hamilton because he insulted him...I rest my case!"

8. Granville

Granville Member

So what's your plan here? You going full conspiracy theory with every appointee?

Despite all the delusions of grandeur from the Libs around here , your party got its ass kicked by a bad candidate. If you and others in the Democratic Party had spent this much time objectively scrutinizing your own candidate you might have decided not to line up behind a candidate that sucked so bad she lost to Donald Trump.

You are wallowing in your own bullshit now and your crybaby act is beginning to stink,

9. SamFisher

You're not very good with the language.

It would be be "conspiracy theory" if I were theorizing that there was a conspiracy where the National Security Advisor was secretly on the payroll of the Russians for a advising a secretly pro Russian candidate who covertly benefited from Russian intervention in the American election.

Instead, we are referring to a an overtly paid by Russia National Security Advisor who is explicitly pro Russia serving an open syncophant of Russia's Dictator who also happens to be President, despite the objection of the majority of the rest of us, (including, allegedly, yourself), who openly pined for additional Russian espionage to help his campaign.

That's not a secret conspiracy - that's a ****ing capitulation and a goddamned disgrace.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So....I guess you wouldn't be worried about the money Hillary got from the Russians then right? You only pretend to care when things support a narrative you are pimping out.

It's cool man, I get it, you are upset that the candidate you personally backed was a national disgrace to the point where the American people picked a total moron over her and you want to lash out about it. It's understandable I guess.....but you aren't going to fool many people.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The 1980's called: they want their foreign policy back.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

American Exceptionalism is fine and well, Sam, but frankly if it died, few other than the beneficiaries of it (which isn't me or most people in the word) would mourn it. As for America being a klepto-oligarchy, I was born after 1968 so I don't remember it being anything different.

It's strange to hear someone who identifies so strongly as a leftist embrace what is essentially a Reaganite and provincial world view. It's also myopic, IMHO. I don't say it to provoke you as much as I simply don't understand. I'm guessing that's the result of an entire generation of voters with no political memory before triangulation.

14. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

That's one of the few thing from the 80s I *don't* miss.

15. SamFisher

Heh? Reagan? the phrase itself goes back to Tocqueville and the idea goes back to Calvinist city on a hill stuff from the 17th century . . .and you're right that it's basically a bunch of Bullshit, practically speaking, if ever broken down. Sure wasn't exceptional for black folks, native Americans, etc.

But the IDEA of it as a normative force is relatively powerful check, and has helped keep us, for at least 200+ years, from being ruled by a wannabe Tyrant beholden to some nasty Russian thug.

Just like the idea of "hey let's not elect overtly racist demagogues like George Wallace" had value, even if there was still a **** ton of racists out there.

But here we are.

JeffB likes this.
  16. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I'm more in the Thomas Paine camp of the United States as a champion of individual liberty and common good, and other than a few oddball Paulites and old progressives, haven't heard much of that since LBJ declined to seek another term. Calvinism always terrified me, especially since it always seems to pine for a Defender of the Faith. In grad school lit classes, it was always sad to me that the earliest bit of "American Literature" in the book were the sermons of Cotton Mather, but you take the good with the bad.

Again, I think it's a stretch that "the Donald" is beholden to any power other than his own cluster B personality disorders. If you are right and I am wrong, I would certainly want to know and be proven wrong, and would change my position in the light of credible evidence, but it IS safe to say that no one has been president in a long time without being beholden to monied interests. Trump managed to exploit that resentment of the Brahmins well -- especially in light of who his challenger was.

And I thought the panic was overblown until they started coming out of the woodwork, but I still have faith that the American people are at their core, good people, regardless of their political identities.

Indeed, but I think you should pick your battles more judiciously. I accept that Trump won the election legally, and while I hoped for the best, his appointments leave me with the impression that his authoritarian streak leaves a thicker line on the canvas than the populist one. I'm more concerned with how I can constructively contribute to building a firewall to prevent his worst designs on Making America Shitty than wearing myself out with arguing that Cobra Commander put him there with a nefarious plot. Or (and this is directed more to friends in Blue America on my FB feed than you) wearing a safety pin to virtue signal to others that I didn't vote for him -- which is a pointless circle jerk.

#96 Deji McGever, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  17. Granville

Granville Member

Look I know your But Trump slogan blew up in your face and left you looking foolish. What I want to know is what do you want to accomplish here in this forum with this unhinged random internet male throwing a hissy fit act of yours?

18. SamFisher

Yes and that's entirely what I'm worried about...I don't care that bunch of white supremacists surrounding a noxious demagogue, beholden to a Russian gangster, are permanently going to defile the country and actively hurt real live people, people that I know and love.

What I really care about is that, to a bunch of strangers, I misjudged the fact that a big enough minority of my countrymen were willing to swallow a poisonous cocktail of stupid and racism, because HEY the racism part sounded REALLY GOOD to them.

I mean he was too much of a piece of sh-the that even YOU were not able to admit to a bunch of strangers that you voted for him. Hell even his own campaign thought he was going to lose.

But, if it makes you happy that enough people are really that dumb and puerile, even though you and I thought otherwise, great. Please enjoy that feeling.
    I have no idea, why do any of us post about baskeyball or anything ever? Maybe just shut the whole site down...I'll make sure to mention it to Clutch that you discovered a metaphysical monkeywrench for his whole existence.

19. Granville

Granville Member

So to sum that up....

Being kept ignorant by Hillary has left you bitter and paranoid. The crushing rejection of the Democratic Party rendered you politically impotent for next 4 to 8 years so much that you're going to jerk every limp dick angle in a feeble effort to lash out at the party that stole your manhood

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously though, I haven't seen Democrats this upset at Republicans since they took their slaves away.

Granville likes this.