1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A&M legit might just run the table in the SEC. Alabama will be tough but that's the only team I can see them losing to.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That was a roller coaster.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Knight just isn't that good in my opinion. He can run, but the passing game should be so much better with the weapons they have at WR. I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama wins big against the Aggies.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The Aggies are going to get in a tight game and need Knight to make accurate throws to convert third downs, and he has not shown he can do that. They have talent all over the field, but I just don't think Knight is a good enough QB to take them undefeated. He misses way too many short throws. He's pretty good at the long ball (although that might be their talented receivers), he doesn't seem to show touch on short to mid throws. They had a ton of drives today that stalled out because of his inaccuracy, and with 7 turnovers in the game from Tennessee (+4 diff), they should have had 50 points in the fourth quarter.

Knight DOES make plays with his feet, and I think he makes the correct read in their option offense, he just needs to be more accurate. He hasn't completed 60% of his passes in ANY game this year. His best game was 57.5% against SC.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, he's not great(or even good). He's not going to be more accurate. He is who he is at this point. He's never completed 60% (for a season) in his career. In fact, he's gotten worse every year.

59%
    56.6%
    55%
    54.1%(coming into today)

He's not going to carry you, especially not with his arm, but he does have a solid defense(today not withstanding) & running game.

I am pessimistic by nature but I'm still expecting losses to Alabama, Ole Miss & LSU.

#4545 J.R., Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  6. TheresTheDagger

DERP.

How are those Rice Owls doing?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not sure if TAMU can play from behind. Erratic QB play. But yes, they can beat Alabama (Chavis vs 18 year old QB) - but it'll take the good defense we had against Arkansas, better ball control and one of Knight's rare good games just to compete with them. And TAMU could also easily lose to Ole Miss.

Yeah, Knight is mediocre. He has played well against elite competition at random times though, so if it's one of his good days - who knows. Crossing fingers....

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

If the Aggies make waves in the SEC and beat teams like Alabama (and don't forget a tough Ole Miss team) it is because they have an emerging stud at RB and a ball hawking defense that can create big play turnovers.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

he better not pull his inner Tom Brady against Bama like he did in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago again.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

John Chavis and Trayveon Williams are da real MVPs. Interestingly enough, I think this crop of upper classmen are the fruits of Johnny Football's success. 3 years after he left, we finally have a team that's built to succeed in the SEC, and I'm guessing most of these kids are in College Station to be a part of that #WRTS crew. As of right now, I think we have the 10th ranked recruiting class going into next year, but there were a few blue chippers who were at the game on Saturday, and they supposedly came away very impressed with the atmosphere and coaching staff.

The bye week couldn't have come at a better time. I'm hoping that these lingering injuries to Garrett and RSJ can get healed, and Trevor Knight can exorcise his inner demons that are making it impossible for him to convert a third down in the second half. Chavis is really going to have to dial up some intense blitzes to rattle Hurts, but it's certainly possible.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Garrett & RSJ - status?

12. ths balla

ths balla Member

From what I have read they are good to go, I will try and find the exact link

RocketManJosh likes this.
  13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Nervous about this game Saturday. I don't think the Aggies necessarily have to win, but we have to play well and be competitive. If we come out and play like Tennessee did, our season turns into a push for the Sugar Bowl. If we can play well and be competitive, this team is still in serious contention for a playoff spot by winning out even if they can't get to the SEC championship game. If Baylor and Washington lose a game (which is very likely IMO), then that 4th playoff spot will come down to teams with 1 loss. I don't see a 1-Loss PAC XII or Big XII team making it in even with a conference championship meaning that last spot would come down to 1 Loss non-conference champs Louisville, A&M, and Mich/Ohio State. I think losing in a close game at Alabama along with the Ags strength of schedule and good wins should be enough to take that spot.

That said, my gut feeling is that we get rolled on Saturday, and I really think that Ole Miss game is going to be very tough.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's about right. Not feeling great about that 17+ point line... and Ole Miss is GOOD.

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Alabama is ridiculously good, but an 18.5 point line seems disrespectful. It's time to see if A&M is the real deal or just another mediocre team resorting to moral victories.

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

I expect Alabama to win, and probably win easily. But, I think the Aggies are more than mediocre. I think the Aggies are a good team. Not Alabama good, but they can play with just about any other team.

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Frustrating to see A&M take the lead to start the third and then just repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot .

18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yeah, that one roughing the passer on 3rd and long was the turing point of the whole game. That and the strip fumble for TD.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Will be interesting to see where the Aggies land in the polls. That Ohio State loss will loom large laterrace in the year.......especially if they beat Michigan.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TAMU can win out, still worried about Ole Miss though, but I feel like LSU might have taken the fight out of them. I want playoffs if we win out.