1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cars - Sedans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Apr 26, 2016.

1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Cayman S would be my ideal vehicle if I had the courage to splurge for a new vehicle. I can't justify spending over $50k on a depreciating asset, when I could use that money for so much more other things in life.

When I drove a S2000, I didn't feel it handled as great or felt as fun to drive as a ITR. Matter of fact, I actually beat a lot of S2000's in my lightly modded (bolt ons) ITR back in the days. It's probably driver error since the S2000 is a high 13's to low 14's stock.

We're most likely never ever going to get a high revving Honda again now that they have finally transitioned to turbo motors. The new CTR coming out next year is going to be a 2.0L turbo with about 300 hp.

On topic, one of my boys purchased a 2016 Mustang v6 a month ago. I think he got it for around $23.5k before TTL. It's 300 hp, but I think it's only high 14's stock. Kinda disappointing 1/4 for 300 hp.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've never heard anyone state that the Integra type R handled better than a S2000. The Integra even if it's considered one of the best handling fwd cars of all time, it's still fwd. The S2000 drove like a gokart when I test drove it. Very few cars I've driven have that feeling. That's my litmus test for 'handling'. What feels more like a go kart which means low weight, rwd, low center of gravity, low seating position etc. I don't care about quarter mile times that much.

Te Integra is one of the all time great fwd handlers but it still can't beat a dedicated purpose built sports car like the S2000.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Got a 4 year old CPO cayman S for 40K.

New sticker price was 77K. I loved that car. Mid engine.

Sold it after 3 years and got a Carrera S. More power and I think better looks but man the cayman handled like it was on rails.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Ring times;
    8:39 --- 142.89 km/h - Honda S2000, 240 PS/1275 kg (sport auto 01/00)
    8:43 --- 141.80 km/h - Honda Integra Type R (sport auto 12/00)

For **** and giggles, the CTR, a fwd vehicle.
    7:50:63 Honda Civic Type R

I think the s2k is around 2,800 lbs, weighed my itr at the track and it was about 2,400. 400 lbs and 40 hp difference. @ 4 second time difference is negligible.

#104 chow_yun_fat, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I hate car buying. That is all.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What happened?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Might try the "Car Pro" approved dealerships.

http://www.carprousa.com/city/houston

Obviously I can't vouch for all of them, but I reached out to nearly every Chevy dealership within 50 miles of Houston when buying my truck and the only one I spent substantial time with that seemed like it was a decent place that was willing to work to get you what you wanted the way you wanted it, was the Car Guy approved dealer Classic Chevy in Sugar Land.

Maybe it was just a coincidence but in my case this list stuff checked out.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Maybe someone should start an [Official] car discussion thread -- i'd post in it.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Also in favor of a car thread

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Agreed on car thread.

Have a quick question for those that have traded in a car. I've searched but haven't really gotten an answer.

If I go to XYZ dealership with my used car and the dealership is willing to give me 15k for that car towards a new car. Do I have to apply ALL that 15k value they're willing to give me into that new car or can I somehow make a deal of only putting 10k towards the new car and getting 5k in check form.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Is the new Honda 2016 premium 360 watt sound system with subwoofer really a terrible sound system as is being claimed? Or, are these just audiophiles complaining that they are not getting DVD-audio quality sound in their car?

I'm considering everything...including the electronics and sound systems. Some of these infotainment systems in these cars are absolute junk. Interestingly enough, Kia does this area better than most. They have a new Harmon Kardon premium sound system in their 2016 model that is supposed to be pretty good...if you can get past their plastic interiors. But, their engines are weak sauce and getting an I 4 turbo...everyone says stay away from turbos cause they won't last. I wish they had a V 6 Optima model.

As far as Lexus, I was considering the IS 350 but I'm being pushed by a family member toward a GS 350 as a better option and better ride. Of course, it's more expensive. And, Mark Levinson can go to hell.

I'm having so much fun! :mad: