1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Draft: QB Progress Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Honey Bear, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

But it is not just up to BoB. He has scouts and the front office to convince. It actually sounds like Connor Cook is the first choice.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hackenberg will likely be drafted by day 2 so coming out is not such a bad idea. He has played behind some horrid offensive lines since BoB left so how much he can actually raise his stock and injury risk were likely big factors in his decision.

3. Buck Turgidson

October was a long time ago, we don't know what they're thinking.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

And April is a long time away. Hackenberg could go as far up as first QB taken to undrafted. So much could happen.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I also think BOB will draft Hackenberg. BOB likes guys he's coached in the past.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I have heard that also. And I'm with you Eddie I'm okay with hackenberg and then possibly a Booker or Boyd and later rounds I'm keeping a eye out for Ricky seals jones could be steal.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No thanks on Seals Jones. He's a big body but does not have that good of hands and didn't live up to expectations at A&M.

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I agree he did get lost at A&M.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure if this was posted already, but in Hackenberg's announcement, he thanked everyone but his head coach, but he did thank O'Brien for bringing him there and said there were a lot of good people on O'Brien's staff :

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...ring-for-nfl-draft/ar-BBo8TiI?ocid=spartanntp

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's a fuller transcript of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PennState?src=hash">#PennState</a> quarterback Christian Hackenberg declaring for the NFL draft. <a href="https://t.co/jj205PgZ6t">pic.twitter.com/jj205PgZ6t</a></p>&mdash; Mark Wogenrich (@MarkWogenrich) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkWogenrich/status/683406371719610368">January 2, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I almost threw up in my mouth reading this. I hope the Texans miss or pass on Hackenberg and Cook. If they pick this kid it will make this organization look so predictable. No scouting or creativity. Just sickening.

11. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

BOB was at Penn State for 2 years hence in theory the players he recruited would be first available during this upcoming draft. I think its going to be Hack.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

They don't need to scout him any further. If O'Brien likes Hackenberg, it's not too far fetched to think he's made up his mind. He had over a year of up close and personal scouting of this kid. He's still very close to him.

The only thing stopping it is if O'Brien falls in love with another QB. Who? Wentz? Maybe. But his info, in his mind is more solid on Hackenberg. He's a safer bet in O'Brien's mind. Goff? Why would he trade the farm when he's comfortable with what Hackenberg brings to the table, and he may not need to make a trade for him?

13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

O'Brien has also had a lot of time with Hoyer and Mallet. Hoyer is solid backup and that's all. Why did he trade for Mallet? I hate that he sticks with guys he knows.

14. Two Sandwiches

He basically was biding time to draft his prize QB. If Mallett played off, he looked like a genius, and didn't have to worry about Hackenberg. O'Brien probably didn't have much faith in it panning out, though. Hoyer was brought in as a short term answer, and that's obvious. He'd be a good backup, though.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The answer to the problem is simpke. Fire O'Brien. He's not going to stop until he ruins all of his friends careers.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

So is trading up still an option? I would love wentz, Goff, or lynch here

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll ask.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

I know this offense needs all the help it can get but Scoobie Wright could help this defense a lot.

19. Two Sandwiches

I like Scooby, and I like Tyler Matakevitch in the third round as well. Thing is, I see us renegotiating with Cush (or at least I hope we will), and he and McKinney make us have no need at the position, in my opinion.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Even so, they could still use depth at that position. Injuries happen and they need an eventual replacement for Cushing whenever it happens.